What's new

Didn't notice a difference I (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
My 2 DVD players were both bought before progressive scan so I have always wondered what I am missing. Last night a buddy of mine brought over his cheapo phillips progressive scan DVD player.
I played parts of gladiator on my sony 860 megachanger and on his player and 3 of us did not see any difference.
I used the same component cables on both and used my Wega 32xbr450 HD ready set that I just calibrated using Avia set up disc.
I know my 860 is not top of the line but it was a decent player when it came out. His player is the cheapest progressive scan philips makes (he got it for under a $100)

So with that in mind should I have noticed a difference? If so, any clues on why I didn't?Would a better quality set really shine through.
Anyone have a good disc or type of scene that would really show the difference?
Anyways that cured my upgraditis for a little while
Thanks Much
Grant

BTW I watch HD all the time on the set and it looks incredible so I dont think I have a problem there.....

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
This is more an indication of just how good the DRC (line doubling in the set is than anything else.

I have a Sony KP57HW40 57" widescreen rptv, and do see a difference between progressive scan and interlaced from my Panasonic CP-72 player with Faroudja de-interlacer chip. It's a small difference though, and probably more evident to me than to you due to the much bigger screen or possibly because the CP-72 de-interlacer is maybe better than that of the Phillips player you tried.

In my opinion, a progressive scan player is not an immediate must-have with a late-model Sony HD-ready set because the set's line doubling is pretty darn good.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Steve
Thanks for the info. I never really saw a good demonstration between 2 DVD players, one being progressive and the other not.
Most stores have such bad viewing areas and sets that were not tweaked it always made me wonder.
I have a KV series Wega in the bedroom, from what you said the difference would be more pronounced.
Thanks again
Grant

John-Miles

Screenwriter
small tv decent line doubler means little difference between progressive and non progressive

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks