1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Didn't DirecTV used to have more LBX movies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ely, Oct 3, 2001.

1. David Ely

David Ely Well-Known Member

I was at a friend's house today and we were going to order a movie on PPV. To our surprise, there is currently only ONE movie playing in LBX format (Enemy at the Gates) on PPV. If I remember correctly, there used to be a lot more LBX movies played on PPV.
    Why has DirecTV pulled the LBX presentations of films? When they have three channels showing the same film (Like they have with Chocolat), couldn't they use one of those channels for LBX?
    AHHHHHHHHH!!! This just gets me mad!

2. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Well-Known Member

Because the drooling mouth breathers who constitute the bulk of our population get upset at the square inches they loose on their televisions with non 4:3 sources and DBS is about the quantity which satisfies such people.
    If you want reasonable quality and can't (most of the time) or are unwilling (I'm not about to spend money on a projector I'll need to replace if the studios use an encrypted distribution format and keep the contractural provisions outlawing > 480P analog outputs) get the movie in question in HD, rent the DVD.
    Otherwise, open a Keystone Light(TM), unwrap your Big Mac (TM), and be content with the familiar and mediocre like the majority of American consumers.

3. Mark Tomlin

Mark Tomlin Active Member

I would also guess that it has something to do with the fact that most consumers own 4:3 televisions. Face it, widescreens are still in the vast minority but I'm sure the gap is closing fast.
    ------------------

4. Charles R

Charles R Member

I believe Letterbox and Dolby Digital took a big hit as soon as DirecTV let Blockbusters run the PPVs. Since they have been in charge I haven't found a movie that offers both (haven't looked too hard).
    ------------------
    Visit my DVD Collection