What's new

Did anyone get the new DS (1 Viewer)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I am behind. What is new about it? I never play the DS but both my kids have one and play them all day.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I just bought it as a backup for my old DSL. I use it for a camera its like taking photos with a cell phone.

Also for the different style of games on it.

I can see why GBA slot isn't in good use cause the screens are a tad bigger. It would make the games look even dumber.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I got mine on Midnight last Saturday, right when it launched. As my other DS appreciation sorta thread states, the DS is one of my favorite systems of all time, so I had to have this. I love the potential of DSiWare and the bigger screens are nice. I kept my DS Lite as well, thought it would be nice to have 2 for a second player or just as a backup.

For people who are new to the DS, the DSi is the way to go now. If you have a DS already then the upgrade is probably more questionable. Seems to be selling well already thuogh, so someone is definately buying them.

Rodrick

Second Unit
Im a huge Nintendo fan but I will say DSI is sooooooooo bad it doesn't play GBA games, which I think is not good but the DSL should've let all GB games work on the DSL.

I didn't like it. THe original DS is fine. The DSLite all it was was a brighter screen.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

I don't agree. I still use the Gamecube-Gameboy converter to play Gameboy and GB Advance games on my TV (23") and they look fine.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I got DSi today. Camera, sound and other options are "fun", but for me the most interesting aspects are internal memory, SD support and "DSi Shop". And of course good games.

There are some "DSiWare"-games already available ( List of DSiWare games and applications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), but nothing that special. BUT - my hope (nothing is confirmed by Nintendo - so don´t quote me) is, that these old GB/GBA-games would start to appear in the online-store at some point in time. If (when?) that happens, then I don´t really miss that GBA slot (my first DS, so I don´t really have GBA games at the moment).

But for the people with "DS lite" and GBA games, missing that slot is a bummer for sure.. And yes, some of these older GBA are not bad at all (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc etc), since let´s face it - DS (Lite nor DSi) is not a huge achievement when it comes to graphics. If you want superior graphics, then you probably get the PSP.

Rodrick

Second Unit
My friend bought it. But his R4 game won't work on The new DSI. If people have those things they won't take it.

He kept it cause he likes that its got a nice cover matte finish. no fingerprints etc....... and he likes the black. And the option to take photos.

He has alot of games he bought for the DS anyways. But his GBA games will now be used on his ds.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I am really enjoying it. My GTA game looks so super on this DSI. The sd slot is nice. Its slimmer, Has a camera, I don't care now with what Im reading that it doesn't take those other games.

I can take nice photos save them etc....... they look good. Im hoping more DSI games come out.

Yes to abover person I like the finish on the DSI. I was almost gonna buy another DSL to get a different color. But I chose Black DSI. Great colour.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Nintendo is already coming out with a new version: DSi LL, with much larger screens. Coming this soon after the DSi, they should have called it the DSi Lulz, as they are having a laugh on their fans.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiLL/index.html

On the second circle, you can drag the image to see the difference in screen size.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I'm probably in the minority here, but I am excited about the new DSi XL as it will be called in the US, which it is coming here early next year according to the gaming sites.

A DS Lite was my first DS system, which I had for a good 2 years. When the DSi was announced, I knew I would have to have one, mostly for the downloadable content option. I admit I'm shocked they are making another iteration of a DSi so soon, but I can't pass up the bigger screens. The DS is most likely my favorite gaming system of all time. But having said that, if they release ANOTHER DS system after this one that isn't actually new inside, I'll probably pass.

People on the net are already bitching up a storm about how big the XL is. My first thought is, don't buy it if you don't want it. It is in fact only an inch wider and taller...is that really that tragic? I enjoy the DS not because it's portable, but because I just enjoy the quality of games. I play at home 98% of the time, so I welcome a bigger screen version.

I wonder if Nintendo is going to keep 3 DS iterations on shelves. I can see 2, but not 3. Maybe they will phase out the DS Lite with the intro of the XL. But then again, with games needing the GBA slot, who knows. I love the DS as I said, but it needs a price drop, at least in light of the Wii's drop to $199. The Wii and DSi are only $30 difference in price. That's almost as silly as the PSP Go being $250 while a PS3 is $299!

I think something like:

DS Lite $99
DSi $129.99
DSi XL Maybe $149

would be nice. Just thinking outloud.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I have a Lite and have more games for it than just about any system I've owned. Since I didn't buy the DSi, I might be interested in this. I play it at home 100% of the time, so I don't care about the size or portability.

Weird that they would make this known now, just in time to cut into Christmas sales. I wish they'd do the same for the Wii followup. As it is, I plan to buy one right after Christmas and be crushed when the new one is announced.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested in getting one of the XLs (have a regular DS) but I only have about a dozen games for my DS, most of which I bought a long time ago. I'm not really sure how much time I would invest in the games for it, but the hardware does look nice.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

I have a Lite and have more games for it than just about any system I've owned. Since I didn't buy the DSi, I might be interested in this. I play it at home 100% of the time, so I don't care about the size or portability.

Weird that they would make this known now, just in time to cut into Christmas sales. I wish they'd do the same for the Wii followup. As it is, I plan to buy one right after Christmas and be crushed when the new one is announced.
Greg, that's exactly my situation. Of all the systems I've owned over the years, form the old Nintendo till now, I have more DS games than I ever had for a single system. I think with the old NES I might of got into the 30's, but last week I just got my 50th DS game, which was Nostalgia. I'm happy to add I like (or love) every single DS game I own. I usually heavily research what i want with reviews and stuff so i know what I'm getting. Nostalgia though was one of the few I wanted where I ddin't wait for the reviews, I just bought it blindly so to speak. I had been following it though since E3 and knew what it was about and thought I would like it, which I do.

Next week is a game I've really been looking forward to, C.O.P. The Recruit. It's an open workd GTA style game but in full on 3D. I don't know how the gameplay is yet, but from a technical standpoint on the DS, the game looks amazing. May just have to be another blind buy for me. I hope the reviewers like it though!

So if you need some DS game recommendations, I most certainly have some opionions. =)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll look into Nostalgia. My favorite games on the system are the Mario RPGs, so if you know any other RPG Lite games like those, I'd be interested. I thought Sonic RPG might be the one, but it's gotten pretty negative reviews.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I'd say Nostalgia qualfies as a light RPG. That's actually what some of the negative things reviews have said, that's it's basically too basic but I like the game for it's setting in 19th Century Earth. Not a lot of RPGs take place on Earth!

I gotta agree with you about the Mario RPGs. I just completed Bowser, which was my first game of the series. I then went and found a copy of Partners in Time and have been enjoying that one now, but it's not quite up to Bowser's Inside Story.

I actually have the Sonic RPG and like it, I don't know why others don't. I admittedly have not finished it yet, but that's because I buy more games than I have time to play. It's sort of an addiction. But in a way it's nice to know I always have a backup of games incase there is ever a lull in good DS games coming out. (Yeah right.) Give Sonic RPG a chance, I often see it for $20 now. That's worth the price for a risk I'd think.

Maybe not "Lite" RPGs, but if you like action RPGs, where you attack in real time ALA Zelda, try, the Crystal Chronicles games. You can;t go wrong with either one.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I love the Zelda games, so that's worth checking out. By the way, don't miss the GBA Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. If you like the others, you'll like it as well. I'm currently buying a few Wii games in preparation of owning that system, but I'll probably give Sonic RPG a go. I was very interested in it during devlopment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks