What's new

Dick Van Dyke Show Season 4 cover art and specs (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Synopsis: Pratfall-prone Rob Petrie (Dick Van Dyke) and his plucky wife Laura (Mary Tyler Moore), along with wisecracking co-workers Sally (Rose Marie) and Buddy (Morey Amsterdam), captured America's hearts in this TV favorite that irresistibly combined wit and slapstick. EPISODES: My Two Showoffs and Me / My Mother Can Beat Up My Father / Ghost of A. Chantz / The Lady and the Babysitter / The Vigilante Ripped My Sports Coat / The Man from Emperor / Romance, Roses and Rye Bread / 4 « / The Alan Brady Show Goes to Jail / Three Letters from One Wife / It Wouldn't Hurt Them to Give Us a Raise / Pink Pills for Purple Patients / The Death of the Party / Stretch Petrie vs. Kid Schenk / The Impractical Joke / Brother, Can You Spare $2500? / Stacey Petrie # Part I / Stacey Petrie # Part II / The Redcoats Are Coming / Boy #1 Versus Boy #2 / The Case of the Pillow / Young Man with a Shoehorn / Girls Will Be Boys / Bupkiss / Your Home Sweet Home Is My Home / Not Now, Anthony Stone / Never Bathe on Saturday / 100 Terrible Hours / A Show of Hands / Baby fat / Br-room, Br-room / There's No Sale Like Wholesale

Special Features: 5-Disc Box Set; Audio Commentaries Featuring Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke for Selected Episodes; Interviews with Cast and Producers; Rehearsal Footage; Theme Song Performance at the Hollywood Bowl, 2001; Dick Van Dyke Remembers Don Rickles; Roddy McDowall Photo Gallery; Original Commercials Featuring the Cast and Network Promotional Spots; Photo Galleries for Selected Episodes; Collectible Booklet Featuring Trivia, Biographies, Illustrations and More!

Since I can't post a URL yet (new and not at the 15 post minimum) you'll have to go to Image's website and do it yourself unless someone else comes along and posts the url.

Gary

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Looks like another winner from image on this release. I really like the treatment they've given this show with the extras, and all the other stuff, and the slick as hell packaging.

I'll have them all by the end of July.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm envious. It'll take me quite a while longer since I'm going to have to buy the last 3 seasons used.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I will definitely buy this (and the last 2) sooner or later. Probably later though, as I can't believe everything that's coming out this year so far.

Maybe I will finally have my rebate check from purchasing the first two seasons by then. I'm not holding my breath!

Is the "Theme Song Performance" at the Hollywood Bowl from the TV Land Awards show that John Ritter hosted?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :) :) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Cover for Season 4 is from the hilarious episode "The Curious Thing About Women" (which is actually from Season 1).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I can confirm that. Yes, it is.
I was told about that by Dave Van Deusen (who runs www.thewalnuttimes.com website).

He wrote me this by e-mail several months ago re. that song.......

>> "Dick you see the TV Land Awards where Dick and his barbershop quartet sang The Dick Van Dyke Show theme song? That was my arrangement that they performed. I did it for Dick a couple of years ago for his birthday. It’s pretty awesome knowing that he is using my arrangement!!"

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Why wait till the end of July? Season 5 is due on June 29. :)

Can anyone explain the logic (or lack thereof) on DVD Empire's website, where the first two seasons of Dick Van Dyke are not eligible for Free S&H, but
Season 3 (identical in size and weight to the others) is eligible? A curious thing indeed. :confused: (It could be because Empire never did correct the S.1 and S.2 MSRP on its site, continuing to list it incorrectly at $10 too low. Trying to recoup some $$ on S&H perhaps.)

Doesn't really matter, since Amazon has it cheaper anyhow...but I thought it was kind of odd. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Some fine episodic adventures await fans in Season #4. "The Ghost Of A. Chantz", "Never Bathe On Saturday", "The Case Of The Pillow" (with Ed Begley, Sr.), and "Pink Pills And Purple Parents" (the very funny "one for moo-moo!" episode :laugh: ).

Image has the "Pink Pills" episode listed as "Pink Pills And Purple PATIENTS". (Not exactly correct.)

David Lambert: you'll probably want to correct this typo on your recently-added news blurb re. S.4.) :)

I'm a bit confused about this Season Four ep. selection though...because (based on the S.2 boxed set) we *should* be getting what is listed as the first episode in the S.4 set on Season 3 ("My Two Show-Offs And Me"). This due to the fact they're putting the shows onto the DVDs chronologically by FILM DATE, and not actual AIR dates. "My Two Show-Offs" was done at the end of S.3, but not aired till S.4.

Not that it really matters (just as long as all 158 eps. are included someplace :)), but I would think they'd keep the same continuity of chronology for all season sets. Perhaps that episode list was taken from another source, and *not* actually the 5 DVD discs themselves.

Amazing at how really *great* The Van Dyke Show was, even in its final couple of seasons. The shows were consistently top-notch all the through its whole network run (something that cannot be said of most TV programs, then or now).

"Mr. Petrie, is it your intention to go through the entire alphabet??" -- "The Case Of The Pillow"

"Don't toy with me, you saucy wench!" -- Rob (to Laura, through the bathroom door) in "Never Bathe On Saturday" :laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks...I'll try to update that later on today. That's what I get from a direct copy-and-paste from Image! :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My fault as well David, since I didn't see that mistake when I sent the info to Gord. I used the old cut & paste method from Image's website last night, and was so happy to see the April releases that I neglected to carefully read their description of episodes.

Gary

DanFe

Second Unit
The best thing I like about Dick Van Dyke is that my son (13 years old) really likes it. He doesn't understand all the present day sitcoms with all their sexual innuendo jokes, but the comedy on DVD is clear and easy for him to understand and appreciate.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

OK. :)

Actually, I doubt the overall episode selection is entirely correct on that list anyway. We *should* (based on past chronology) be getting "A Farewell To Writing" instead of "My Two Show-Offs" on the Season 4 collection. But...we'll see.

BrianP

Supporting Actor

DVDEmpire's free shipping hasn't made much sense since they created new restrictions last year. I had several orders that qualified for free shipping initially, suddenly change to not eligible without explanation, and have shipping charges added before they were shipped. After arguing with customer service I was able to get refunded for the charges. It was funny that one of the orders involved the first two seasons of the Dick Van Dyke Show which are not eligible for free shipping, but were eligible for a while before they were released.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Brian, I hear that. :)

Another really odd one that makes no sense whatever is that Empire does *not* permit the Free S&H for the Airport Pack (which has just 2 discs); but Indiana Jones (with twice the disc count; plus much more bulk via the extra cases utilized) *does* ship for Free. That makes a whole bunch of sense, huh? Some silly-willy policies in many instances indeed.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Season 4 Special Feature ..... "Roddy McDowall Photo Gallery".

:confused:

My interest is piqued by the inclusion of this seemingly completely un-Van Dyke Show-like bonus feature. AFAIK, Roddy was in no way involved with the show in any capacity. Perhaps we're getting a special "Planet Of The Apes / Dick Van Dyke" combo edition. :)

Any ideas what this Roddy McDowall gallery might include?

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

Well, we can only guess at this point, but my suspicion is that we're talking about photos TAKEN BY Roddy McDowall rather than photos OF Roddy McDowall. McDowall was known as having a passion for photography, and actually released some books of his photos, so maybe he had occasion to be on the "Van Dyke" set and decided to take some pictures?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

That was my bad, since I'll probably have to buy this 1 the first week of may and season 5 the first week of July, I naturally had the end of July in my head.

Anyway, to have the whole series in less than 12 months is a really great proposition, especially for this series, Buddy is hallarious one of my favorite TV characters ever.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Some interesting Bonus items that are not mentioned in the official Image press release (but are shown on the DVD package)........

>> The Full-Length CBS Special, "The Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered". :emoji_thumbsup:

>> Clips From TV Land's "The Alan Brady Show".

>> Garry Marshall participates in some of the Audio Commentaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks