What's new

Dick Van Dyke Show Collection - All 5 seasons together - May 24th! (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone confirm something for me (re. the packaging of this Mega Complete-Series set of TDvDS)?

Are the five individual "slipcase" boxes included in this mega collection?

I'm nearly sure they are not (based on that photo I posted above). But I just would like to know for sure.

Thank you.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone received their set of this one? I have it pre-ordered from 'DVDSOON' (Canadian 'net online store) and haven't received it yet. It hasn't shipped yet either. Not sure what the delay is.... first time I ordered thru this store.

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
'Not sure what the delay is.... first time I ordered thru this store.'

Jeff, DVDSOON has some great prices, but they can be very, very S..L..O..W. It's best to order items from them that you're in no hurry to get!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Alan_H:

Thanks for the info on DVDSOON. I'd heard something on the "negative" slant a few weeks ago about this store after I placed the order so I probably won't be ordering anything else from them. I ordered the Dick Van Dyke Complete Set from them because the price was surprisingly lower from them than the other online outlets (as far as I could determine). I usually go through Amazon or DeepDiscountDVD for my DVD's. BTW, anyone else out there agree that Amazon has a :emoji_thumbsup: "return" policy? Very easy to use (for those infamous "scratched disks during shipment" returns...:angry: )

On another topic: Dick Van Dyke fans might like this story about my nephew who was definitely not around when this series originally aired :D . I recently found out that he likes this show. I nearly fell on the floor when he told me that! I figured his "generation" was too young to like this show. "Learn something new every day". I had previously bought Season 1's pack of this series before I knew that the entire series would be available so I'll give S1 to my nephew for a surprise.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Your family has good taste all the way down the line, Jeff. :) ;)

Your nephew can now enjoy Harrison B. Harding in all his glory. :)

Jeff -- When DVDSoon finally decides to ship the set to you, how 'bout checking back in here and telling me about the packaging? I'd like to know if the individual seasonal slipcases are included or not (I'm doubting they are). No local B&M near me is carrying this Mega-Set. They're not even carrying ANY separate-season Van Dyke sets -- there oughta be a law against such flagrant Van Dyke Show shunning!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Hey Jeff, just curious at hold old your nephew is? Either way that's great, IMO this show is too good to not be enjoyed by people across all generational gaps.

On that note, I recently found out that my girlfriend is a real big fan of this show...I think she's a keeper.

CynthiaH

Agent
Not sure if this applies to the DVDsoon site or not, but Amazon Canada has the set as being released on May 31st, not on the 24th like in the States. I've noticed that happen on the Degrassi Junior High sets as well.

That might be why you haven't received it yet. I pre-ordered from Amazon.ca, and mine is preparing to ship. I'll report back on the packaging if no one else has by the time I get it.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Well, I certainly didn't expect these posts to my "nephew" post! Thanks ;) As always, you TV/DVD HTF'ers are :emoji_thumbsup:

I didn't know about the possible release dates being different between US and Canada. Interesting...that would explain the delay at DVDSOON. Thanks.

Ditto for yours :D My (late) Dad also liked this series big-time. OT "Sidebar": Dad served on the USS South Dakota in WWII. "Remembering Dad and all of our service-persons on this day" :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Back on-topic: I haven't thought about this one myself, but what's considered (by HTF members) the best all-around season of this series?

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Nice, Jeff. :emoji_thumbsup: My dad also served in the Navy during World War II. It's always important to remember that the only reason we have the freedom to bullshit about DVDs on an internet forum is because of the bravery of millions of men just like them

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
DVDSoon was listing the 5/31 release date when I ordered my set from there a couple weeks ago. I'd expect the sets to ship from there sometime this week.

Jeff, should be too surprised your 25-year-old nephew likes this show. I'm 23, and I like the show. With Nick at Nite/TV Land (and now DVDs) younger people get a chance to enjoy shows like that moreso than they used to.

As for what generation your nephew, not to mention myself, belongs to - I believe we're part of Generation Y. I believe Gen "X"ers are considered to be those who are currently in their 30s. I could be wrong though. At least I've never considered myself a Gen-Xer. I think that was the "generation" before me.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

You didn't expect me to pass up this question, did ya? :)

Let me see ....

Wait...I've got the answer:

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, and Season 5. :) ;)

Yes, I think all 5 seasons are very good and deserving of nearly-equal amounts of praise. :)

However, if I was FORCED (at knife-point) to say which season was my all-time fave -- I think, after 75 minutes of excruciating agony of trying to decide, I'd go with Season #2.

This decision would, however, be slightly influenced by the Image Ent. DVD boxed set of S.2 itself (in addition to the episodes contained therein) -- because, you see, the DVD full-season set includes probably my all-time favorite single ep. (or one of the Top 5 at any rate) at the end of the S.2 boxed set, even though this ep. really didn't AIR until Season 3 -- "All About Eavesdropping" (aka: The "How Did You Get THAT Out Of 'On The Street Where You Live'" episode). :laugh:

S.2 also has some of my other all-time faves, like:

>> "The Two Faces Of Rob". -- ("Like you said mommy, 'Dolce Far Niente'.") :laugh:

>> "The Night The Roof Fell In".

>> "It May Look Like A Walnut". -- ("WHAT is a 'Danny Thomas'?")

>> "Ray Murdock's X-Ray". -- ("Rob, go to your room!!")

>> "My Husband Is A Check-Grabber".

>> "A Man's Teeth Are Not His Own". -- ("He broke his tooth on a bone?" --- "Well, I don't think he broke it on the mayonnaise.")

---------

Plus: That S.2 boxed set has something that I think (perhaps) many people have overlooked quite a bit, or perhaps just simply forget is on there -- and that is an entire (27-minute) episode of the game show "Stump The Stars", which I've watched several times and it's always a treat. It features Dick, Mary, Rosie, and Morey playing a charades game circa 1962. It's a 'Van Dyke Show-era time warp' to be sure. Fun stuff. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Very hard question, but I think I'd go with Season 3:

Dear Mr. Petrie, Your Husband is in Jail (my favorite episode of the whole series)

That's My Boy

The Alan Brady Show Presents

Honeymoons are for the Lucky

Laura's Little Lie

Very Old Shoes, Very Old Rice

October Eve

etc.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I agree with George on both of his points, it is a hard question and I also would go with season 3.

So many favorite episodes for me though some from each season would make my list.

Coast to Coast Bigmouth is one of them definitely that I didn't see mentioned yet.

CynthiaH

Agent
DavidVP, I just got my set today-there are no individual slipcases-it's exactly as the picture earlier in the thread shows.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Thank you, Cynthia. :)

That's just what I thought; but I wanted to make sure.

(How's the 12-Page booklet/insert? I was wondering if it had the same material (basically) that the separate-season sets contained -- there are separate 4-Page mini-booklets in those collections, with each one featuring a little "profile" of a major cast member.)

CynthiaH

Agent
As far as the booklet, it's 12 pages like you said, and there's a page of text on each season, then a little "Did you know..." bit with three points about each season. Then blocked off throughout, there are bits on: Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Rose Marie, Morey Amsterdam, and Carl Reiner and Richard Deacon take up the same amount of space as the other four did.

Not sure if I explained that coherently or not-it sounds like maybe it's the same content as in the individual releases. Each two page spread is devoted to one season, so it looks like they took whatever info was there before, and just reformatted it. I have no idea what the individual release booklets were like though, so that's just speculation on my part.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Thanks again, Cynthia. :)

You explained it in perfectly-coherent fashion. Thank you.

That does, indeed, sound like a re-working of the already-released booklet material. Pert-near at any rate. Each of the separate-season "inserts" also, like you pointed out, contains a 'three-point' "Did You Know" section, which I'll bet is identical on both of the DVD releases.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Way off topic, but I just got through watching Bye Bye Birdie, and the main thing I thought of was how strange it was that right in the middle of the Dick Van Dyke show's run, here was Dick Van Dyke doing a movie in which he was basically playing Herman Glimsher. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks