What's new

Dick Van Dyke Show Collection - All 5 seasons together - May 24th! (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

It is one of the best sitcoms ever on TV. BUT, for that price, it is better that you check out some episodes first. I love the show, yet haven't bought the sets yet (because of the price).

Check out the reruns, rent one of the discs, or check out the Wal Mart or dollar store budget bins. You can find DVDs of a few episodes for under $1 (88 cents at Wal Mart for three episodes). Even though the quality isn't the greatest, 88 cents is a lot less than $200.

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
Hi everybody, this is my first post in this forum, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to add a few comments about this show which I have so far only encountered very briefly, but which still left a lasting and positive impression on me.

Growing up in Germany and starting to watch TV around 1960, I fell in love with many of the classic U.S. TV shows of the era and, as others have similarly stated here, I think the 60s were truly a Golden Age of television. I eagerly await more DVD releases of my favorite shows (to name just a few: Gunsmoke, Maverick, 77 Sunset Strip, Bonanza, Perry Mason, Mission Impossible, Hawaii 5-0, The FBI, The Fugitive).

The Dick van Dyke Show sadly never made the jump to German TV screens, and the first and only time I got to enjoy a few episodes of the show was in the summer of 2000, when I spent my (so far) last vacation in America, where I caught a handful of episodes on TVLand. I don't remember the episode titles or which season they were from (after all, it's been five years), but what I do remember is how much I enjoyed those episodes, and how I thought, "wow, why didn't we get to see this great stuff way back when?!"

To make a long story short, I didn't buy the individual season sets because I felt they were somewhat expensive, but I will definitely get the complete series package as soon as it comes out. Can't wait!!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why Image Entertainment is showing the Running Time for the Complete Series of The Dick Van Dyke Show at only "1700 min."?

This figure is way off. The run time is well more than double that for all episodes.

The same figure is listed at TVSoDVD, but I realize that they got the figure directly from the
horse's mouth (Image).

Anyway, it's very misleading, because there's actually more than 65 hours of content in this mega-set (not to even mention the many hours of bonuses too), instead of just the 28 hrs. purported by Image. *

* = Which means, Van Dyke Show fiends/friends, that if you were to indulge yourself in the Ultimate Dick Van Dyke Show Marathon, you would be watching Rob & Laura & Company for three consecutive days non-stop (24/7) before you watched all 158 eps. + the extra features. (Anybody ever try that? :))

http://tvshowsondvd.com/releaseinfo.cfm?ReleaseID=4615

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Adding up the running times of the 5 separate season sets, I come up with 3834 minutes, which I've changed the listing to reflect. 63.9 hours...cool?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Cool by me, David. :)
Just thought you'd probably want to correct that obviously-way-too-low figure of 1,700 min.

Actually, the Run Time is probably closer to 3,950 minutes (158 eps. x 25 min.), which = 65.83 hours.

But, anyway, no biggie. At least when people see the longer run time you've added at TVSoDVD, it'll be darn close to the exact number at any rate. :)

Melanie

Auditioning
I am a new user and the second DvDS fan here that lives in Germany. I got a Best Of about three weeks ago and was hooked right away, even though the picture and audio quality on the low budget DVD is not as good as on the Image releases is it?

I preordered the megaset yesterday. It is going to be my first complete seasons box of any show. Trying not to think about Value Added Tax now. I read all of the other DvDS threads. Count me in as a 20+ fan.

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
Where has anyone found the best price for this set? I want to take advantage of a 30% pre-sale price, but I'm not sure where to look. I usually buy from amazon but they're not offering the set at all (yet?).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Amazon did have a webpage for the Complete Series set, but for some reason, they've removed it.

According to www.dvdpricesearch.com, "DVD Soon" has by far the "Best Deal" on TDvDS Complete Series set (about $155 US; 195 Canadian $).

Amazon had it for a 30% off Pre-Order price ($175). I'm sure that it will return there soon. Must have been a computer glitch of some sort.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

Thanks for that "price search" link :emoji_thumbsup: I haven't bought from "DVDSoon" before but that price is sure impressive. Since this series set is a sure buy I'll try this outlet. Correction? I went to this site and the price indicated at the site is $198.98 for non-members and $176.38 for members. "If something looks too good to be true, it usually is?" Not sure if this shoe "fits" here, but I guess the price that was indicated on that "price search" engine wasn't accurate.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
But remember: DVD-Soon's prices are listed in CANADIAN DOLLARS. And the Price Search site always converts those prices into US$.

I just checked, and as of this moment 195 Canadian $ = just 162 U.S. $.

http://dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=138090

DVD-Soon charges virtually nothing for S&H (just $0.98 CAD; or $0.81 approx. USD, per item).

Plus: According to DVDPriceSearch, DVD-Soon has a code you can use ("LSTL29") to get FREE Shipping on all orders plus 10% off (expires 03/31/05).

So, if you can get an ADDITIONAL 10% off the $162 (U.S.$) price, that'd bring the total US cost down to around $145. Not too shabby.

I've used DVD-Soon a couple of times, and wasn't too enthralled by the place. But perhaps they're better now. And THAT deal might be too good to pass up for people who don't already own all 5 Van Dyke seasons (that current deal figures to only $29 (U.S.) per season). :)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just went to the site and it's $195.98 Canadian, making it $162.62US at current exchange rates - plus use the code LSTL29 for free shipping and 10% off, making it under $150 (coupon expires 3/31).

DVD Soon is a Canadian e-tailer, so their prices are listed on the site in Canadian dollars.

Whoops, I posted without seeing David's post. Jeff's was the last post on the previous page so I thought it was the last one in the thread. Sorry.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, David & Scott for the info. I did forget that the site's Canadian :rolleyes. Also, for some reason, when I first looked up the price check site, it displayed a different price (too low to be real). The 2nd time, it displayed the correct price.

I tried to plug in the coupon code at DVDSOON but it doesn't seem to work for me so far. Weird :confused:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
UPDATE ON "COMPLETE-SERIES" 25-DISC BOXED SET:

----------------------------------------------------------

DVD-on-DVD.com has a nice, 3-D, high-resolution photo of the DVD Cover Art (shown below) for the soon-to-be-released (May 24th) 25-Disc boxed set of "The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series", distributed by Image Entertainment.

My earlier guess re. the packaging was incorrect. I had assumed that all five of the previously-released "Slipcase" boxes would go into an even bigger Slipcase box to make up the "Complete Series" set.

But, as we can see, they have removed the 5 individual Slipcase outer boxes for Seasons 1 thru 5, and have, instead, placed all 25 ThinPak cases side-by-side inside the larger outer Slipcase.

IMO, this does not really provide any advantage over the individually-released seasonal sets (user-friendliness-wise that is) -- because it seems to me that the way the ThinPaks are packed into this Slipcase box will make it slightly difficult to remove just one disc from this bulky box. (I don't know about you, but I always hate the dreaded "fingernail marks" that can become embedded in some VHS & DVD packaging when attempting to remove a tightly-fitting video or DVD from a boxed-set package.)

With the individual season sets, it's easy-as-pie to remove the discs, by just tipping the boxed set on its side, and having the 5 discs within it just slide out into your hand. I can't see this "tipping" being an option when dealing with this huge 25-Disc pack! (You'll need one whale of a big hand to hold this baby in one hand. :))

Anyway, perhaps the discs will be arranged in a not-so-tight manner for easy removal. Beats me. Perhaps someone who gets this excellent set can let us know if there are any difficulties re. getting the discs out of the box.

I won't ever know; since I don't need to purchase this Complete-Series set. But it's a heck of a good deal for those people who haven't taken the Van Dyke DVD plunge as yet.

This Mega-Set will evidently contain three different "lenticular" (3-D-type) motion images on the packaging -- one on the front flap-like thingy / thing-a-ma-bob I see below; plus a 3D image on each "side" of the Slipcase box. ......

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Too bad they couldn't have stuck all the disks into a minature ottoman. :D

I still remember the original plans for releasing this series from a few years ago.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
According to www.dvdondvd.com, the "Ottoman" thing-a-ma-jig is still coming (sometime -- some eon). ......

Quotes from that website:

"The ottoman, and all the future goodies will still be waiting.

The specials will each be on its own disc:

The Color Special, "Dick Van Dyke and the Other Woman (Mary Tyler Moore)", which aired on CBS April 13, 1969.

"The Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered" hosted by Charles Kuralt for CBS in 1995.

And "Inside the Dick Van Dyke Show", produced by TVLAND for their 'Fandemonium Marathon' in 2000.

We are obsessed with quality so we are using the best possible Digital Masters made from the original 35mm film negaitves which have been kept safe in temperature-controlled vaults in Hollywood.

You will be able to purchase one disk, a boxed season, or the whole collection. For serious collectors, we will offer a limited edition consisting of all the disks, special material, and some personally autographed items, all encased in a "flip-top" ottoman, just like the one DvD trips over (most of the time!) in the opening credits."

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how many of those specials I'd buy, but if they could get Carl Reiner to change his mind, I'd sure has hell buy a standalone disc of Dick Van Dyke Show Bloopers, etc.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Here's a tidbit of news re. the "Ottoman Collection" that's apparently been in the works for quite a long time now at www.dvdondvd.com / www.dickvandykeshow.com.

This data comes from Doug Denoff (son of Van Dyke Show writer Sam Denoff), who posted the following message at www.sitcomsonline.com in the DvD Forum.......

>>> "I just updated www.dickvandykeshow.com with links to the new 5-season boxed set on Amazon - 30% off with free shipping. The set ships May 24. Sadly this is still not the Ottoman Collection, but it's nice to know that many of you still want that. Dad {Sam Denoff} and I plan to get back into this saga in the coming weeks and see if we can't finally make it all a reality."

--------

Interesting indeed. I'd be interested in getting that "extras" disc that (purportedly) will contain the TV-Land Van Dyke Show Special from five years ago.

But if Doug & Co. hope to sell many "Ottoman Collections", I have a feeling that the current (potential) asking price of $799 (!!) might just have to be lowered a tad bit. :) (Esp. when people see they can get all 158 eps. for well under 200 clams at other locations.)

Via the DvD-on-DVD site......

>>> "We intend to make the price of each disk and the collection reasonable. At this time, we're estimating a cost of $799 with easy monthly payment options available. For this price, you'll get all 158 episodes, the bonus disks, the special DVD Ottoman, and some additional collectibles. You will also be able to purchase the disks without the Ottoman in boxed sets, as well as individual disks, all at very reasonable prices."

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I believe Doug Denoff said at one point that you could get the Ottoman and the extra collectible stuff separately at a reduced price if you were already going ahead and collecting the season sets. Which would make sense. Any guesses as to how much just the ottoman and extra goodies might go for?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Not the vaguest.
But I'd like to get some of the "extra" material, if it's ever produced.

They can keep the footstool furnishings though. Don't really need that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks