What's new

Dick Tracy coming to DVD April 2nd (1 Viewer)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Less than a week left and no further details on specs. It also doesn't appear in the upcoming Best Buy circular. There also have been no reviews of the DVD so far.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
It is very strange that less than a week before release and nowhere is the an online review. Can anyone help us out?

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
The VHS due out the same day is labelled a collector's edition. So the VHS has extras but the DVD does not???!?!!?!?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Members of DVDTalk are reporting that at least 2 different e-tailers have shipped out Dick Tracy. Looks like I was wrong.

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have to say that it certainly is entertaining, this business of sleuthing to find out the features of a relatively mainstream DVD!

Laser's Edge lists it as being 16X9, with DD5.1.

DVDSoon doesn't specifically mention 16X9 ("Widescreen 1.85:1"), but they do claim it has both English and French DD5.1, as well as English DTS 5.1.

Derek U

Stunt Coordinator
DVD Empire just posted the front and back cover art. The disc includes.

-Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS tracks

-French Language Track

-Widescreen (1:85:1)

That's it! Not even a trailer. I for one, will try to wait for the rumoured director's cut.

Derek

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Is the BV Series Dir Cut just a rumor or is it in fact being released later in the year?

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I saw this today why i was out shopping. it is widescreen with dts 5.1, i don't remember if it was anamorphic.

it is only 14.99 at the store i saw it at.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. If Beatty wants it Full Frame, I'll take it. There is something fishy to me about seeing this in widescreen when Beatty has said it should be Academy. I have the Laserdisc, and the framing looks perfect in the Academy Aspect Ratio. I'm curious to hear the 5.1 mix for this movie, because the PCM Dolby track on the laserdisc is pure reference material.

Aaron Garman

MattHR

Screenwriter
Dick Tracy IS 16x9, although not indicated on the cover.

Ruthless People is also 16x9, but it is not indicated as such. Neither features ANY special features. Tin Men is 16x9, as indicated, and also features a deleted scene and commentary by Barry Levinson, Richard Dreyfus, Barbara Hershey and several others.

I've only checked the transfer of Ruthless People. I guess I wasn't expecting much, since this batch of Disney titles are only $19.95. My expectations were met. The transfer is completely mediocre. They could have listed film grain, scratches and dirt spots as special features. It's much improved over the full-screen laser disc from the late 80's, but it still deserves better. Oh well, I'm glad to finally own it on dvd. Better this than nothing.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
If it is anamorphic, I find this new trend at Disney of not labeling it as such very frustrating :angry:.
I will probably wait on Dick Tracy, especially after all the talk of the Director's Cut and Vista Series. Yes both rumors, but I'll wait for a little while to see.
But I would have ordered Turner and Hooch and Three Men and a Baby if they were clearly labeled as anamorphic...
-Chad

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I picked up my copy of Dick Tracy yesterday and it is indeed 16x9 anamorphic widescreen.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Picked it up for $17.99 at Hastings, which means those of you with a Best Buy likely get it for $15. No extras, and I was afraid due to the packaging that it wasn't anamorphic, but it is, and it looks great, at least on my setup. No extras, but as long as I have DTS or Dolby Digital, I'm a happy man. If you're a fan of the flick, there's no reason not to pick it up. The Beatty director's cut rumor was started by Ain't It Cool News, and while their movie reporting is usually accurate, their DVD "scoops" have yielded some big whoppers, like the one about Anchor Bay doing SEs of Escape From NY and LA. It seems to me like Disney is going downhill fast in terms of DVD quality, so I'd take it while I can get it. I think we'll be back to their rehashing of LDs ala '98 before you know it, especiialy if they are gonna be doing this flood of catalog titles this year.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It's a pretty nice 16x9, though I thought a few face shots of Beatty looked blotchy on the reds. But for the most part it looks pretty decent I think.

We'd need someone more familiar with the film to talk about that.

The DTS is pretty solid, some very good gunfights.

But nothing else of course. As bare as even a Disney could be, it's like rewinding the clock 3 years on Disney stuff.

I'm pleased with the film-only product as a decent representation of the film, but I can also see demand for better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks