1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules

Discussion in 'Movies' started by mattCR, Mar 27, 2011.

1. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    My youngest (10) wanted to see this today, so we took out and had a pretty good time. I will admit, I walked in with very low expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised. It is virtually a Disney Channel movie, but the jokes are there and some are quite funny. The movie plays with all of the basic tropes of kids, school, etc. but it does so in a pretty enjoyable way. If you're looking for family-friendly fare, it will keep the kids entertained. There is no deeper story, nothing below the surface, but the performances are what you'd expect. My son found everything about the talent show segment to be outrageously funny, far more then I did.. most of the kids around us (mostly 4th and 5th graders) all seemed to have a pretty good time.

There was a moment when they through a party in their house, and his best friend, who still wants to be a little kid, started dancing and having fun, and I found that to be one of the better moments of the whole film; I liked the message of "it's OK to still be a kid". I had some problems with the first film.. in that one, I thought the "Wimpy Kid" came off as pretty much a jerk who used his friends to try and become popular, and his redemption was pretty weak. In this film, it was much better told as to why people would like him.

B-/C+