What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Dial M for Murder 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Will Krupp
[SIZE= 24px]Whaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttt?[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 18px](get him!!!!!)[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 16px] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 18px]...faints...[/SIZE]
You got that right, I thought Kate was great in The Philadelphia Story. The actor who bothered me in that film was Stewart. How in the hell did he win the Best Actor for that role? Fonda or Chaplin got robbed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
You got that right, I thought Kate was great in The Philadelphia Story. The actor who bothered me in that film was Stewart. How in the hell did he win the Best Actor for that role? Fonda or Chaplin got robbed.
Payback for losing the year before for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.
You know, back in the 1930s, they revealed the result totals on Oscar night, and James Stewart came in second to Robert Donat for the 1939 Oscar. (Clark Gable was third for GWTW.) Stewart's role in The Philadelphia Story is more supporting than leading to my way of thinking.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MattH.
Payback for losing the year before for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.
You know, back in the 1930s, they revealed the result totals on Oscar night, and James Stewart came in second to Robert Donat for the 1939 Oscar. (Clark Gable was third for GWTW.) Stewart's role in The Philadelphia Story is more supporting than leading to my way of thinking.
Yeah, I know that story just saying his role and performance in The Philadelphia Story doesn't hold up today as Best Actor distinction.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Douglas R said:
I got hold a copy of the play and have been able to satisfy myself that I was correct about cuts having been made. Between the lines TONY: "Oh I know I did" and LESGATE: "Why do you think she married you?" is a lengthy piece of dialogue with Tony saying that he had always intended to marry for money - making his character appear more unsavory than it now is. Also, between the dialogue TONY: "She nearly did" and "After we were married", Tony tops up their drinks. The awkward editing in those places is very obvious so presumably the cuts were made at a late stage.
Ray Milland once did a television interview in which he discussed his screen career. He said that Dial M For Murder was filmed in long takes, not unlike those for Rope, and that this created difficulties for the actors and the camera crew. At one point Milland asked Hitchcock how he was going to resolve one particular problem and Hitchcock said - Milland imitating Hitchcock's voice - "Now we cut it". Milland raised his eyes to the ceiling and asked rhetorically "Then why not shoot it conventionally?" I've said it before and I'll say it again: In those TV programs and interviews of the past fifty years or so, there is a massive abundance of interesting material which would be ideal for "extras" on DVDs and BRDs. I don't know if that Ray Milland interview has been preserved, but just imagine having that as an "extra" on this disc.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Robin9
I've said it before and I'll say it again: In those TV programs and interviews of the past fifty years or so, there is a massive abundance of interesting material which would be ideal for "extras" on DVDs and BRDs.
Agree. I feel very strongly about this. Rights are probably an issue on a lot of stuff, and I know it looks like we're asking all the studios to be more like Criterion. Frankly, even Criterion could do more to enrich our discs with this stuff. There's buried treasure out there, man.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any chance a 2D blu ray release is on the way any time soon? I've been waiting for this one to price break. It's still hanging around at $30!!!! I don't have 3D currently so I'm really only interested in seeing the film in 2D. Thanks!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If you have any inkling that you'll, get 3D someday, than get the 3D, cause you can watch it it 2D. You can wait for a sale or a BB trade in. Haven't heard a thing about a 2D only version.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Moe Dickstein said:
They won't release a 2D version since there is already one on that disc..
Hopefully a 2D disc only version is coming soon. It's a bit spendy at $30 for a blu ray! : )

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Why would they give a cheaper option? There is only one disc so makes no sense to release a cheaper version that would require a totally new authoring and encode, that they would then sell for less money. The price will go down below $30, but I would put money down you will never see a 2D stand alone release of this title, House of Wax, or any classic 3D era Blu title from Warners.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Osato said:
Hopefully a 2D disc only version is coming soon. It's a bit spendy at $30 for a blu ray! : )
Or just cut the price of the existing release. As the post above me just said, it's a single disc release already so it makes no sense to author another version. I'm waiting to get this disc on sale myself, but of course I want it in 3D.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Osato said:
The $30 is too much for the 3D version. If anyone is interested, I'll buy one and mail you the 2D version. Send me whatever you think is fair for the 2D disc.

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
Dick said:
I just had my new Panny 55" installed and calibrated, and I am in awe of its PQ!
Congratulations! I hope that your new set provides many hours of glorious viewing! I haven't had any ghosting problems on DIAL M, but I haven't had any ghosting problems with any 3D title. Both of my 3D displays are DLP, one a Mitsubishi rear projector and the other an Optoma front projector. It saddens me when I read that other home theater enthusiasts have ghosting problems on equipment that is much higher-end than mine. I admit that I purchased my DLP displays for price reasons and consider myself lucky that the allegedly "inferior" half-resolution on DLP rear-projection sets is (more than) offset by their minimal to nonexistent ghosting.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
RolandL said:
The $30 is too much for the 3D version. If anyone is interested, I'll buy one and mail you the 2D version. Send me whatever you think is fair for the 2D disc.
Both versions are on one disc...

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent Mumford
I think there's an app called 3DBGone, which will separate out the the 3D aspects of the 3D Blu-ray disc, leaving you with only the 2D version on the disc. Google it.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Trentrunner said:
I think there's an app called 3DBGone, which will separate out the the 3D aspects of the 3D Blu-ray disc, leaving you with only the 2D version on the disc. Google it.
Or, on this disc just choose "2D version" in the menu lol

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Moe Dickstein said:
Both versions are on one disc...
Oh sorry, didn't know that. Guess I'll wait for the price to come down or buy a used one on eBay.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
RolandL said:
Oh sorry, didn't know that. Guess I'll wait for the price to come down or buy a used one on eBay.
Agreed. $30 is way too much. I guess they will try and get 2D buyers to overpay for a while. I guess I'll wait on it. Would like to pick it up, but I have the film on DVD.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Moe Dickstein said:
You really should try to see it in 3D - it's 10x more interesting a film in depth. Worth every penny of $30
Cool. I was hoping for a theatrical one day screening at the local theater, but that did not happen. I don't quite have enough "pennies" to adopt to 3D at the moment. As I wear glasses, I would be much more interested in 3D if it did not require 3D glasses to view. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks