What's new

Dexter Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes indeedy. And it looks like Miguel and him are going to be night time buddies.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Dexter's getting sloppy.

First he shows up without his kill kit (there was a chance that Freebo was there) and then not only is he caught but he's caught by someone with supreme authority and now he has someone out there who knows about him, we saw how that worked out for poor Dokes. :frowning:

Dex will need to do something about that little problem in time I think.

There was something really disturbing about Dex's passivity toward's Rita's pregnancy, sure he's that way about murder, too, but for some reason it was doubly disturbing here.

Is it because he fears becoming a father because of what he might turn his child into or is it because he truly feels nothing about it? He's a psychopath so it's easy to say he feels nothing but I just have a hard time reading Dex sometimes, he's constantly stating that he feels nothing and that he's dead inside but yet he obviously cares about Rita, the kids and Deb so he CAN care despite what he says.

And yeah, they really do make things hard for him sometimes and he constantly seems like he's under the gun, especially in this episode, I was half expecting Dex to sigh under his breath "What's a guy gotta' do to kill someone in peace around here?" lol.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Dex really lucked out this time. Again!
Even though it may be considered Dex was getting sloppy,
I did like how he improvised a little by using Teegan's offset garage to kill Freebo.
And the whole conversation out in the rain between Dex and Miguel Prado was fantastic. Dex just made a new best friend.
I don't think Dex really has to worry about Miguel as much like he did with Doakes.
It seems like Dex is going to clean this up(sweep it under the rug) for Miguel, so he's not involved.
After all MIguel was going to kill the guy himself, maybe risking his own life/career.

Loved the part when Deb was questioning the shemale hookers about Teegan and one of them asked deb who does her hair. Deb replies with "Cristoff of Beverly fucking Hills."
Petunia: "Yeah, do you have his number?"
Other shemale: "Petunia, you're the dumbest whore on this stroll."

Dexter talking to the two drunk party girls on Teegan's address
"22 Lincoln Log"
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Deb questioning Javier about Teegan
Deb: "What's her name?"
Javier: "I don't know. Bitch, c**t, hey you!"
Drugged out girl on the couch: "Yeah?"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yeah, much of that was established in the pilot, Paul, also in one of the exchanges between Dex and Harry Dex asked regarding feelings "Will it ever be real for me one day?" to which Harry replied "I hope so, son."

Which makes me sort of wonder if this is something the show might be starting to explore, that Dex has been pretending to have emotions for so long that he actually is starting to feel some genuine one's along with his usual "mask".

Something i've wondered about Dex and it's a tad dark so please bear with me, the way I understand it most serial killers kill to satisfy themselves in a sexual manner, is this the case with Dex? I've never seen or heard him say that he get's aroused sexually from killing like most serials do.

In his case i've gathered that he kills to fill an emptiness inside, a void left by the trauma of witnessing his mother slaughtered right in front of him and that his bloodlust isn't for sexual gratification. I probably just answered my own question there but I just thought I would throw it out there.

ErichH

Screenwriter

I vote for the emptiness angle, although he does take
a certain pleasure from the act. I don't get sexual in Dexter's unique situation, just relief. His drug, if you will.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
FANTASTIC NEWS!!

Dexter Season 1 has been announced for Blu-ray Jan 6th 2009

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Great news about the BD release.

Last nights episode is really putting Dexter on edge.. how can he cool off Prado, his new best friend?

The plan around Milk Cartons was genious.

I loved the entire segment of "Skinny Little Bitch" song ;)

While Dexter doesn't get the love (thread count tells me those of us watching are a smaller number) then it's rivals on HBO, which I catch up with on DVR, let me say - between Dexter & Mad Men, you have two of the best shows on TV on Sunday nights.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought Deb would surely know enough Spanish to understand some of the song's lyrics to know that CI was mocling her. Jennifer Carpenter has this funny way of delivering cuss-laden dialogue, she would have fit in well on "Deadwood".

Miguel seems to need a lot of hand-holding, but I don't know it's a character quirk or if he has other plans to bring Dex into the fold of justice enforcement that operates outside the law, even if his day job as DA prevents him from being as aggressive as he'd like to be, but recognizes Dex's talents and sense of morality.

Not too crazy about the baby subplot.

ErichH

Screenwriter

I'm torn between that or the 2 brothers laying a trap for Dex the old fashioned way - 'Trust Me' 'I will never forget this' etc from Miguel over and over.
The meeting under the bridge was an invitation. Dex even had the thought 'Is this someone I can trust' right after.

The IA probe via Deb might tie in.

Great Writing

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I wonder if Miguel has his own dark passenger. Love how this show continues to knock story conventions ie Miguel returning the shirt with Freebo's blood on it to Dexter instead of holding it as a blackmail tool.

Also interesting to see if Dexter's code is cracking with the child molester. Dex brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, 'No one harms my children.'

Grabbing the milk carton on the way out was a deft, dark touch.

Brilliant stuff!

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I think Lou's correct - Miguel's got a 'dark passenger' too and either knows Dexter's has one, or at least sees Dexter as similar since he knows Dexter killed Freebo.

And didn't Miguel give Dexter HIS OWN shirt (not Dexter's) saying it was Freebo's blood on it? I'm betting there will be a scene later on where Dexter tests the blood on the shirt and finds out that it's Teegan's and not Freebo's.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Either way you slice it Dex has a problem and, IMO, a very leaky hole roaming around that will need to be plugged eventually.

But if Miguel is truly an innocent that merely wanted vengeance against the man he thinks killed his brother than Dex's code will not allow him to take Miguel out.

This is so cool because I have no idea where it's going, that's one of the amazing things about this show is that it constantly keeps you guessing.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

I really like this idea!
I'd love to see Miguel have a dark background
and even try to lure Dexter in, knowing that Dexter really killed his brother Oscar.

The Lion Sleeps Tonight

Great episode.
I loved the whole child predator angle.
I was hoping there would be a little bit more development with that story, maybe even him getting really close to Aster, with Dexter saving her.
But I did like Dexter just going in and killing him and saying "Nobody hurts my children." Very powerful!

I also loved the scene between Dexter and Nathan, sitting at the outside table of the restaurant. Dexter telling him, he knows who he is and Nathan saying "I'm not like that anymore."
As Nathan says that, he glances over at the little girl with his little eerie sexual glare. Really good scene.

Great funny moment is when Dexter is in yoga class, and telling himself that "I could killer her(the teacher) before anyone realized what happened."

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

There is no show on television that uses facial expressions and non-verbal communication even 1/2 as effectively as Dexter.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I have to disagree with everyone here. I don't think Miguel has the 'dark passenger' but Oscar did. I said this after episode two, but I think that the person they recently found out was innocent, those people were killed by Oscar, and Miguel is covering it up for his brother. So he hasn't really done anything wrong himself, but he is trying to protect those that are close to him.

Edit: That doesn't account for Teegan and Javier's deaths though, so maybe its the other brother.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's amazing how much detail gets added to even the secondary and third-tier characters in this show. Matsuka had some great moments as he started to realize that most of the other cops don't like him.

Great scene with the sting operation that "almost" went down.
Good follow up from that.

Will Deb think about IA after her "partner" keeps poaching her cases?
How much hell will go the Lt's way after the sell-out of the Prado case?

And Dexter still remains the best instigator - though I absolutely loved him stealing his wedding proposal from an insane murderer at the precinct ;)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I wasn't really fully invested in this season. Thought the whole pregnancy thing and Prado lines weren't all that compelling. Just didn't grip me. Prado walking in on Dexter's kill was great. But it didn't come home til last night. Dexter doing Dexter things again. Manipulating the middle brother. Proposing because it reinforced his cover. I think that was what I really liked. His narration reminded us several times that he still feels nothing, even if he is loyal to Rita and the kids. He was getting a little normal there for a while and just looking like a vigilante, killing people who needed it.

I also thought they did a great job with the storyline around Deb, her partner and the murderous fake fiancee. It was the first time ever that Deb beat Dexter to the punch on ID'ing the perp. And the line from her partner about having only one move and no poker face was really good. Even the little storyline with Angel and the hooker/cop was good. Great ep. Best of the season for me.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anybody else getting this disturbing feeling the the IA cop isn't really on the level and maybe even working outside of a normal investigation. She's starting to have a bit of a stalker feel more like she has a personal grudge/angle against Quinn rather than being a professional investigation. It's almost feels like a jilted partner/GF. Maybe it could be a loyalty test for Deb to see how far she will back her new partner who so far seems to be a pretty clean cop. She's seems to be manipulating Deb almost like Dexter is manipulating Ramon.

The partner just looks too guilty and too smooth for this to be a simple dirty cop story. Since when have these writers ever telegraphed a major story line like this without a double somersault, triple twist thrown in -- new car, perfect CI, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks