1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Details on Fox/Criterion deal?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Newcomb, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Well-Known Member

During the last chat with Fox, Mr. Staddon understandably had to be "a bit cryptic" as to the release plans for Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Kagemusha, and Three Women.

However, now that Naked Lunch has appeared on Criterion's November schedule it seems that the cat is out of the bag. Can we expect a press release from Fox? Wellspring released one when they struck their deal. I'm very curious as to what other titles were part of the initial agreement, what the term of the license is, and if any other titles will be looked at in the future. If there is not to be a formal press release, and Mr. Staddon can answer any of these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

any press release would come from Criterion

3. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Well-Known Member

Well, I hope that if Fox and Criterion have a deal, then Criterion will see fit to release Soderbergh's Solaris under the Criterion banner.

4. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Well-Known Member

Visconti's 'The Leopard' might be a likely candidate for a Criterion release under this deal.

5. Benn

Benn Well-Known Member

Is there any further word yet on the Fox/ Criterion deal?
    What are the chances the films like:
    ZORBA, THE GREEK (1964)
    THE WEDDING BANQUET (1993)
    THE FLIM-FLAM MAN (1967)
    HARRY AND TONTO (1974)
    Robert Altman's THE WEDDING
    WHO IS HARRY KELLERMAN AND WHY IS HE SAYING THOSE TERRIBLE THINGS ABOUT ME (1971)

6. Greg K

Greg K Well-Known Member

H-m-m-m-mmmm....

Cronenberg's Dead Ringers and Naked Lunch (both Fox-distributed films, I believe) were both Criterion releases. Could The Fly (1986) be an upcoming Criterion/Fox release? The extras on the afforementioned DVDs were a bit skimpy, and I woul hope The Fly gets a bucketload of extras.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Dead Ringers is owned by Morgan Creek, so Warner Bros. would distribute a new edition of the film.

8. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Well-Known Member

THE WEDDING BANQUET was a Samuel Goldwyn title originally released on tape and laser by Fox. MGM owns it now.
    WHO IS HARRY KELLERMAN...is a CBS property that Fox released when they were partnered with the network for home video. I believe that has gone to Paramount.

A Fox/Criterion partnership for me would make me want to see these released:

LUNA
    BIGGER THAN LIFE
    FORTY GUNS
    THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT
    VANISHING POINT
    THE INNOCENTS

9. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    Seems to me that UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (Preston Struges) is another coming Fox/Criterion title.

10. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Well-Known Member

I thought I heard that 3 WOMEN, A WEDDING and other Altman titles were going to be Criterion. Also for some reason I think BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS.