What's new

Details: Kill Bill: Volume One (1 Viewer)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I think the way most of these dvd's are authored the subtitles should look the same in every player. The subtitle track is a picture the player displays. Its not like close captioning.

As far as bit space player generated subtitles would not save disc space but cost more, though I imagine not much. A subtitle track is like an additional audio track, just uses more bit space. I imagine the studios do this because they are too cheap to do multiple releases inside regions. I believe if you were to run the french or spanish dub or subs on these releases, the player generated subtitles would reflect the language you have chosen.

I feel the player gen subs looks cheap. On front projection they look horrible when blown up. And they are often only designed with 4x3 playback in mind, so if you have a widescreen set you might get the subtitels half in the frame, half out.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Can anyone tell me if the "bootleg" Kill Bill trailer is the same one that is included on the Confessions of a Dangerous Mind DVD? The one on the DVD opens with the shot of the jet flying low over Tokyo, and includes some shots that are clearly from Volume 2, including ...b/w footage of a kung-fu master of some sort balancing on top of a sword Uma is holding, then kicking her in the face, and another shot that I'm betting is from the showdown between Uma and Darryl Hannah. There are also some shots of Bill.
Thanks.

--Jefferson Morris

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
That same trailer is also on the "Equilibrium" DVD. I don't know if that is the "bootleg" or not. I just wanted to mention it.:)

Ben Rockwell

Agent
That's the same trailer that's on the DVD for Gangs of New York. Maybe that's just the one that was put out before the film was going to be split up? I don't know, but I was wondering the same thing earlier when I put in my GoNY DVD (had to watch that BEAUTY of an opening battle one more time).

I'm gonna give this a rental to prepare for Vol. 2, and I hope it lives up to the excitement that I have for it. If not, at least it was only a rental.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I enjoy the trailer on the Equilibrium disc, too. Perfect warm-up for getting the 'Gun-kata' on. I'm also unclear why it would be called 'Bootleg.'

Like Nick, I'll happily grab the 'bones edition for a good price on the 16th. Especially if the eventual Special Edition differs somewhat from the theatrical release--like LotR, I'll enjoy the differences (granted both releases are plenty solid in A/V).

Vincent Fok

Agent
The Kill Bill trailer on Equilibrium, Gangs of New York and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind DVD is the official trailer, not the bootleg trailer.

There are two bootleg trailers, which previously are available in Quicktime format as a bonus feature of the Vol. 1 soundtrack.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just finished watching Kill Bill volume 1
for the very first time.

I am awestruck! What a totally awesome movie!

Perhaps Tarentino's best next to Pulp Fiction.

I had such a great time with this film.

To start with, I nearly fell out of my chair when
I saw that "Feature Presentation" logo at the
beginning of the film. They used to play that in
theaters in the early '70s. I haven't seen that
logo in 30 years.

Next....

The fight scenes were outstanding -- particularly
the scene between Uma and Go-Go. There were moments
I just sat there and said "Holy Sh*t!"

I am just amazed at Quentin Tarentino's talent.
This man has mastered the craft of setting his story
against amazing visuals.

The DVD looks delicious! Colors pop off the screen
in a transfer that looks very close to Hi-Def. It
is so seldom that I see colors (particularly yellow)
look so vibrant.

Absolutely terrific film.

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Did the fight with the go-go's go into back and white at one point or not?

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Tarantino's Rolling Thunder re-release of The Beyond (Anchor Bay DVD) has a special pre-chapter opening that is the same as Kill Bill with different wording. I'm guessing his other cult re-releases (through Buena Vista) are the same.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Im glad to hear Ron liked it too , in fact all the people i know, i have yet to hear anybody hate this movie !My favorite dvd , well until the star wars trilogy arrives.:D

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Crap, that correction to my correction is correct. O-ren's teenage enforcer, of course, is called Go-Go.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Never heard of this film.

Not to spoil this great Kill Bill thread,
but....is it worth purchasing?

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Depends if you like gory 80's Eurohorror or not! It's a Lucio Fulci film, perhaps his most well known movie next to Zombie and Gates of Hell (City of the Living Dead). It's a good movie and typical cheesy Fulci, with loads of blood and guts and a funky soundtrack.

If you were a fan of these types of films Ron I think you would have heard of The Beyond and probably own it, so I'd recommend a rental first.

Andrew_PD

Grip
I read that the Japanese version was in an incorrect aspec ratio (1.85 I think)

Can anyone confirm this before I buy it?

MatS

Screenwriter

this movie for me is one of the rare times you could get me out to a cineplex. This was meant to be seen on the BIG screen. Hopefully you won't wait for home viewing on Volume 2.

I'm passing on this dvd release and waiting on a more comprehensive release. As much as I loved this movie (one of the best of recent years IMO) I'm getting a little tired of multiple purchases.

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator
lol the part thjat was in black and white was the whole fight btwn uma and the crazy 88's, the fight btwn uma and gogo was in color! and go go was the girl in the school girl outfit with the chain,maceball. there were no gogos. the band is the 5,6,7,8's and there are 2 added performances with them on the dvd!

and on the japanese and some european versions of the dvd the fight with the crazy88's is in ful color and not in black and white

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks