What's new

Details Indiana Jones Trilogy (1 Viewer)

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Minimal?

For movies of this age the set looks pretty darn good.

Other than commentaries (which apparently Spielberg is against) what else would you REALLY want on a DVD?

At least we get the trailers (unlike The Matrix and Matrix Reloaded DVDs).

Maybe there's nothing more Paramount CAN give us.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I'm all over it, think it's grerat set... though aren't there suposed to be deleted scnes and new interviews???

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I think it looks like a great set. I don't think it's necessary that every single documentary ever done on Indiana Jones needs to be included.

I would absolutely love to have commentaries, but Paramount can't be blamed for that. Whenever filmmakers want to include a commentary, Paramount seems to be happy to oblige. Spielberg, Lucas and Ford, however, are not known for this sort of thing.

I hardly think this is minimal, but will reserve final judgement until I see it.

-Scott

John Simon

Second Unit
The only feature (other than commentaries) that I'm disappointed we'll be missing are the original documentaries. I agree with you, Scott, that we don't need ever one, but it would be nice to have one or two of the original documentaries. Those are always interesting to see how a film was originally previewed and what the principals thought while making the film.

Still, though, I can't wait to own this set. :)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I would have loved for the original documentaries too, but I'm fine with their exclusion. These days studios seem to find it more special to make new documentaries than include older ones.

though aren't there suposed to be deleted scnes and new interviews???
The deleted scenes and interviews are supposed to be in the documentaries.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm fine with the extras. A little more would have been nice, but no biggie.

I wonder how good they can make the transfers for these films. Only about a month and a half away!

Andy_MT

Second Unit
I wonder how good they can make the transfers for these films.
just hoping we don't get a repeat of the "forrest gump" and "grease" dvds (two of paramounts other A films). very little care seemed to go into those transfers. they can deliver the goods (as is clearly evident in some of their recent releases), but sometimes they seem to go the cheap route, which concerns me for these releases. oh, and of course, bilingual packaging for the canadian release ... sigh!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This is a must buy for me. Personally, I like the major documentaries than a ton load of mini featurettes.

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all:
I have been following this thread with great interest like the rest of you. This will be an automatic buy for me too, as several have mentioned.
After I read this, I went snooping around for more information, and found this LINK
I am positive that the listed format of "fullscreen (standard) - 1.33:1" is a mistake, otherwise you all would be discussing that instead of what extras the discs will have.:D
I have added Finding Nemo and T3 to my must have list in November too.
Not a bad web site, one of many I am sure.
TTFN

RW

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I am positive that the listed format of "fullscreen (standard) - 1.33:1" is a mistake, otherwise you all would be discussing that instead of what extras the discs will have.
Direct from Paramount's press release:

Available in full screen format and widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs; Images restored by Lowry Digital Images and films have been digitally remastered by THX

John Simon

Second Unit
I just noticed a link via Dark Horizons to DVDAnswers, which has posted screenshots from the Region 2 Indy DVDs (I suspect they're identical to R1). I can't wait! :D

P.S. Notice the "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" on the menu? :frowning: Hopefully we'll still see the original title on the film itself...

EDIT: There's more info out there, as well. R2 Project has the same menu shots, but also includes shots of the front and back of the boxset.

On another section of the site, they say this of the DVD:

James L White

Supporting Actor
the only part that matters to me
The sound and picture on all three releases look absolutely stunning, completely unbelievable
they could change the title to Indiana Jones and James Bond go looking for some box with sand in it called the Lost Ark I'm just glad it's finaly coming. just 6 more weeks, or 42 days or 997.5 hrs (minus about 10.5 hrs that this day is old) or 59,850 minutes or 3,591,000 seconds, Yes I'm a dork. :D ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am still very disapointed that Speilburg did not make this trilogy a DTS release. Allthough I am glad that it is coming out soon as I only have my old LD copy to watch. I still think it sucks that DD will be our only playback choice as far as digital surround goes:angry: . I think its sad that Speilburg is not supporting a company he is involved with! I would very much like to hear why Speilburg the groviest fimlmaker of all time did not offer DTS on the Raider Trilogy?

Is there a link out there that answers this question ??

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I am still very disapointed that Speilburg did not make this trilogy a DTS release.
It very likely was not his decision to make. He did not produce these films - George Lucas did.

Still, DTS isn't necessarily the end-all, be-all of DVD sound. There have been some excellent DD releases from Paramount recently.

A well-mixed DD track can be difficult to distinguish from DTS.

Don't knock it, till you've heard it.

-Scott

david*mt

Second Unit
I agree that the DD will probably be good enough, but why not include a DTS track as well? These movies are only about two hours long and no commentaries are included so there would be plenty of room for DTS. I can understand not including DTS on very packed disks, but it really iritates me when the space is there and DTS isn't included.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Adding a DTS track in addition to the Spanish and French (and, of course, English) tracks already on there will surely sacrifice the video quality - even if to a small degree. Video quality should NEVER be sacrificed (not even by 1%). I know many "DTS fans" disagree and wouldn't have a problem with the video suffering a little or being knocked down a percent or two.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
And since it is George Lucas we're talking about, one really shouldn't complain about the sound. The sound on both Star Wars DVDs is excellent, and there's no DTS in sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks