What's new

Desperate Housewives Box Art!!! (2 Viewers)

John McM

Second Unit
you're saying tv on DVD is a flop? Granted, most shows perform less than 1 million, but you cannot say that Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Sex And The City, Family Guy, Chappelle's Show and The Sopranos were not phenomenal successes on DVD. Ok, Desperate Housewives won't sell like The Incredibles is, but I'm sure it'll match the sales of SAW easily. I think DH is as guarenteed a seller as Seinfeld or The Simpsons is.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I never knew DH was shown in widescreen. I do not have HD at all, just watch plain analog OTA, and it comes in at 4:3. Why would they show it in 4:3 if its meant to be scene is widescreen? ER is shown in widescreen format for regular TV now, so it almost leades me to believe that DH is being cropped for HD showing from it's intended 4:3 ratio...

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
The HD versions display more information on the sides than the SD versions do. The HD is cropped to make the 4x3, not the other way around. ABC SHOULD do what NBC does for ER, but they do not.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

'Sports Night' showed that Disney knows how to compress the life out of a TV show boxed set. That show had more picture detail on my analog cable. DH looks beautiful in HD, and nothing less than a 16:9 DVD with a generous bitrate will get my dollar.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I've never seen DH in HD. ABC HDTV Isn't available in my area, my cable co. offers CBS in HD and WB in HD, but no ABC :frowning: I don't care much for widescreen movies anyways, I hate those black boxes, I think they're annoying

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Sorry, but someone who wants a show that is supposed to be in 4:3 (like Buffy, Dark Angel, The Shield, The OC and apparently Desperate Housewives) in 16:9 is as big a fool as someone who wants to watch a widescreen movie in fullscreen.

These made-for-HD widescreen versions are just as bad as an open-matte fullscreen version of a widescreen movie.

Yes, you do see more of the picture - but you're not supposed to and there's nothing going on in that part of the picture.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Um, yeah except that DH is perfectly framed in 16:9. Watch any episode in 16:9 and you'll see that.
Last night I was re-watching "Every day a little death" (which was this week's episode here in the UK). There is NO WAY the intended ratio is anything but 16:9.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
There's no way in hell I'm buying this, as stated, release. One of my favorite shows is once again being altered on DVD. TVShowsonDVD should have stopped supporting this crap long ago. Yet, they continue to review and promote this junk along with other non OAR releases like KungFu and West Wing and butchered releases like ALF. You're not fooling anyone with the "intent" claim. C.S.I is coming with a new release, what's the AR? We'll see, my guess is the same as the re-runs on CBS which is 16x9 because they'll get more $$$. It seems most of the time the "intent" claim put forth on that site it is used to cover bogus information from Warner Bros/BV like WAT and Alias and almost never comes from the director of the episode or original production.

This show, much like CSI, Everwood, and The OC has been broadcast in widescreen from day one. If their intention was not to produce the show in widescreen they would not have done so and the show would be 4:3 upconverted on the digital and analog feed as many still are. It's unrealistic to believe there intention was 4:3 when The OC, CSI, and Everwood season 1 re-runs continue in HD and not upconverted SD.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
You clearly have never SEEN DH in HDTV, so why assume you know what you are talking about here? What makes you think it's supposed to be 4x3? It is perfectly framed for 16x9, and clearly is too tightly framed in 4x3. Also the rich colors & filming style is totally lost on SDTV. DH is probably the best looking 1hr show in HD on the air.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
This is not the same was "wanting 16:9 out of 4:3 composed material."

Gilmore Girls was filmed widescreen from the very beginning (as far as I can tell), however, the show looks absolutely terribe in 16:9. The 4:3 versions are the OAR, and they're like that on DVD, and I have never complained.

Desperate Housewives is framed for 16:9, I'm sure of it. And the large amount of people complaining about widescreen in this thread leads me to believe that the decision was based on Buena Vista's theory that the majority of those who watch DH are soccer-moms who don't like widescreen. Stupid thought process IMHO.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely. Any J6P fan of the show who doesn't like widescreen is likely to bitch about it, but still buy the DVD set. Whereas the home theater hardcore...well, they aren't buying.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the home theater hardcore won't buy it but they will be a drop in the bucket in the overall sales for the set. That's why everyone who wants to see the DVDs in widescreen need to call Disney and tell 'em.:)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Count me as another person who will NOT buy DH if it is released 4x3. If a show is intended to be seen in 4x3, then that is how it should be shown. Since DH IS shown in 16:9, that is how I want it on DVD. Anything else and I am NOT buying. Glad to hear that "Lost" will be 16:9.

John McM

Second Unit

you are definately not a videophile. If you educate yourself about widescreen, you'd refuse to support movies in any format except, buying a movie in fullscreen instead of a widescreen option is like buying an edited version of a CD instead of the uncensored.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

Except for a very small minority (people who watch the show in HD) everybody sees the show in 4x3.

This is going to be the new evil - widescreen people who want everything in widescreen regardless of the intended aspect ratio.

So-called J6Ps want the picture to fill their entire 4x3 screen - what do we call the people who want everything to fill their 16:9 screen?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
ALIAS and LOST are broadcast in 4:3. The majority of Firefly's episodes were broadcast that way. Arrested Development is. X-Files seasons 5+ were.

All of these shows were shot with 16:9 in mind...

I think we need Marc Cherry to speak up and solve this problem for us.

I don't have a widescreen set. It's not about "filling my screen" it's about an accurate presentation. Hell, my friend will buy this set regardless... I'll borrow it from him if I need to see it. I'll just pick up LOST.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I'm terrified that on high-def discs we'll start to see everything from Looney Tunes to Seinfeld cropped down to fake widescreen.

But 'Desperate Housewifes' sure looks to be composed for 16:9.

Rob T

Screenwriter

It's a dual-AR show, but it is framed for 16x9.
I watch it in 4x3 and I want it in 16x9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks