What's new

Desperate Housewives Box Art!!! (1 Viewer)

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I hate tvshows and movies in widescreen, if you don't have a widescreen tv then what's the point? :frowning:

John McM

Second Unit

god, this is a DVD forum, educate yourself, I haven't had to deal with stuff like this since my days working retail at Target. I wonder, do you buy edited versions of music cd's at Wal-Mart? that is about the same as buying fullscreen DVD's when there's a widescreen copy available. All I can say.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I have been enjoying the HD broadcasts of Desperate Housewives.

If the set is 1.78:1, we will buy it.

If it is 4:3, we will NOT buy it.

Gord...make sure you pass all similar comments on to the folks at Disney.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

I'll try, but their chain of command there is so odd that I feel anything I send them will be so watered down by the time it gets to the top. It seems that everything must go through a designated publicity person, and they have different people depending on what type of news source you are. Anyway, I'm not giving up, but I'm not holding my breath either.

The good news is that the backlash is pretty obvious, on here, DVDTalk, people that have emailed me, and fan sites. All Disney needs to do is look around and they should change their mind.

There was an announcement made yesterday regarding a recap episode (with supposed new material) for DH, and one for Lost. I don't think they'll be able to fit these special episodes on the DVD sets; possible for DH, but Lost is already too full as it is. I've begged them to go for a 7 disc set instead of a 6 disc, like most other shows that have gone to 23 or 24 episodes. I feel as though Disney is treading into unknown territory, and I don't think they're following the right path.

Gord

John McM

Second Unit
I think Disney should do for DH what is done for movies all the time. Offer Fullscreen and Widescreen versions of DH

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If they did a full and widescreen version of any TV show, I'd be SHOCKED!

I would reccomend too that everyone who wants the show in widescreen (assuming it's correct) contact Disney. It's not like they are going to lose that many sales if it's in fullframe only. This show is a hit and it's going to sell regardless whether it's full or wide. Disney isn't going to notice the 100 DH fans that don't buy it because it's fullframe but 100 polite calls saying give us the widescreen one could make a difference. So you gotta let 'em know before it comes out.:)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Disney is, indeed, often maddening when it comes to customer service.

I remember the time I called their number to explain how disappointed I was the way they offered the "Lost" disc of Pirates of the Caribbean only with the original release...several months after PotC was released. I told them I would really like the opportunity to purchase the "lost" disc without having to re-buy the entire set...and that I felt like those fans who rushed out and bought the original set on releasy day were being punished.

Deaf ears.

I hope they listen on this one.

John McM

Second Unit

umm, I don't mean on the same set.

Movie titles all the time are offered in seperate Widescreen and Fullscreen options, I don't see why if they press 1 million DH sets, maybe 800,000 Widescreen copies and 200,000 Fullscreen copies would be a failure. Next time you go to Best Buy, you'll be surprised at the number of movies that are offered in seperate sets for those who are into preserving the movie the way it was filmed, and for those who "hate the black bars"

Rob T

Screenwriter

No. I watch the movie/show. Not the bars.
Black bars are a part of life. They are to be embraced. Not shunned. :)

and I wouldn't get it either if it's not in widescreen.

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator

Well I'm sure it would still cost them alot more to format each episode in Widescreen and press them. then format them in Fullscreen and then press them.

they probably do that for movies cause they are only one long thing instead of 20 something and usually on one disc.

I'm just guessing.

John McM

Second Unit

that is true, but DH is a guarenteed seller, it's not just some (as Sony quotes it) "niche title". I think DH will sell more than some of the film titles that are offered in seperate widescreen/fullscreen sets, I mean, do they really think SAW is a bigger title than Desperate Housewives?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nearly every 'big' new release movie title far outsells all but the biggest TV sets (like The Simpsons). Only because a movie like Saw is $15 or $20. Desperate Housewives will probably cost about $40 to $50 so Saw will outsell it based on the price factor.

People are willing to take a chance on Saw for $15. While Desperate Housewives will sell mostly to fans who want to spend the money on the whole set. Some people will blind buy it but nowhere near as many people who blind buy a movie. You have to beat the whole 'I can see it for free on TV' mentality of the average person too. You have to pay to see Saw (either by renting or buying it) so Saw would have an immediate step up in the sales department. This isn't to say DH won't sell well but it won't sell like a movie does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks