What's new

Desperate Housewives Box Art!!! (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Because Joe Six Pack wants the picture to fill his (square) TV and Bob Wine Sipper wants the picture to fill his (wide) set, too.

Don't forget, there's a lot of clueless people out there with widescreen TVs, too, who "stretch" the non-HD content (and many of them don't even know the difference until you actually show them)!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member

Like I stated previously... the HD versions appeared to be framed rather nicely (as opposed to Wonderfalls or Seasons 4-7 of Buffy in widescreen, which have a lot of dead space)

It's impossible to "frame" for two aspect ratios. You can protect for 16:9 and have all the important information in the center... but that's not good composition, which is why Wonderfalls looks so screwy in 16:9.

I think having accurate information from Marc Cherry is the most important key here.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Ugly cover. I think they hid her arms because she is in a wierd pose and her arms were just hanging in the air..

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Here's an update on my quest to get to the bottom of the full frame decision:

Called 2 of the executive producers of the show and was eventually passed off to the VP of DVD production at Disney. His office passed me off to a publicity person, who then passed me off to someone else. I also called the SVP of Marketing, but he was busy all day and I got the information of the brand manager and left a message. So yesterday I had contact with 7 people either connected to the show, or the DVD, but I don't have any answers yet.

Disney likes everything to go through the designated publicity channels, and then the requests work their way up the food chain, and then the answer works its way down. I prefer talking to the person that can give me the right answer, but I'll take the info any way I can get it.

Gord

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Ditto! I can't imagine any problems unless they needed to obtain clearances for the "different" actors in the pilot (I'm sure Sheryl Lee wouldn't mind, but who knows about the actors who originally played John and Rex).

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
AFAIK, there isn't an 'original pilot'. All the scenes with the other cast were lifted from the pilot and reshot. I guess the could do a branching version of the pilot with the old scenes, though. :)

I'll second that. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Alright, I spoke to someone at Disney, and while she wouldn't issue a statement (that needs to be done through publicity), she was willing to listen as I explained the aspect ratio issue, and how the fans reacted to the 4x3 news. They're going to need a few days to get an answer together, so I'm going to leave them alone until Monday.

BTW - I believe Disney has a consumer hotline phone number printed on their DVDs...

Gord

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I just saw the 4x3 announcement at TVShowsOnDVD.com and I'm PISSED. A TV title that was among the top 2 I was looking forward to (along with Lost) just became, potentially, a No-Sale.

Why would they even consider this route??

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Again, don't be pissed. It might be the decision of the creators. Wide isn't always the best option (take Wonderfalls into account).

The real problem is if Marc Cherry shoots for Widescreen and Buena Vista is pushing for 4:3.

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the link to the widescreen information. I understand better what everyone is talking about now.

I can understand how someone with a widescreen tv would want a widescreen format.

I have a regular sized TV and it doesn't look like I'll be getting widescreen for a very long time. Not that I don't want it, but there are other things that take priority.

Personally, I hate the black bars that I get while watching widescreen format. They're distracting.

And I don't like the feeling of being so far away from what's going on.

Yes, I lose picture by watching full frame, but a lot of the picture isn't important. Full frame gets me up closer with the picture (an important thing when you're watching on a regular TV). Besides if you're far away from the action what detail can you really see? Can you see the actors faces and their responses? Not as well as you can with full screen.

And full screen doesn't have those annoying black bars that take up most of the screen.

I can't recreate the movie experience on my television. I would need a special room and a huge widescreen tv and popcorn to do that. Then yes, I would watch the widescreen format.

But for my tv full screen seems best.

And since TV shows are shot for TV I don't see where the problem is. They are meant to be seen full frame.

Wouldn't it be better to put a choice right on the DVD? That way you could watch your widescreen with it's black bars and far away aspect, and I could watch my full screen with part of the picture cut out.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

Or they could release a widescreen-only version and people who don't care about seeing all of the picture could just use the zoom feature that almost every DVD player has.

RG

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
There's a zoom feature on DVD players? I can't find one on mine. Maybe it's on the remote the kids lost.

But here's a question. If a show wasn't shot to be on widescreen, why are people wanting it on widescreen? I don't know if DH is or not, I'm just curious. Don't they have to alter a show to make it widescreen when it wasn't meant to be seen that way?

And on another note, why has it taken so long to get widescreen TV's? Why aren't they the norm and why are they so expensive?

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
It WAS shot for widescreen & looks absolutely amazing in HDTV. The version that you see is the altered one. I will NOT buy the DVDs if they are full frame!

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
Let me ask you,

On a widescreen tv does full frame have bars on the sides?

By the way, do the black bars and distance from the action bug anyone else? Of course this question is directed to regular TV owners since widescreen owners don't have this problem.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Larry, according to Gord on the previous page of this thread, the creators of The O.C. want that show to be 4 x 3. However, Fox broadcasts it in 16 x 9. So occasionally a network airs a show in 16 x 9 and it's not what the creators intended. Granted, it's a rare occurance but the final call is in the hands of the people behind the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks