What's new

Desperate Housewives Best Buy Coupon Not a good deal! (1 Viewer)

BrandonJF

Second Unit
The only way that $10 off coupon isn't going to work the week of release is if they have a RZ members special, in which case RZ members could either use the coupon or their RZ card (I doubt that scenario will happen since it will only cause confusion with their coupons). If it's on sale for 29.99 at Best Buy that week and their normal price is 39.99, I'll bet I'm using the coupon and getting it for 19.99.

I've used the coupons that come with the gift cards on what we're calling weekly "sale" items and they work just fine. They didn't just promote $10 off what will probably be an enormously huge seller just to have to explain this to everyone at the register with a coupon that first week. The only time they deny coupons is if it falls under some promotion - not a SALE, but a promotion. For example, if they had a special where if you buy Desperate Housewives you instantly get $10 off of Lost if purchased on the same receipt, it would ring up as a promo and they more than likely would not honor any coupons unless the clerk doesn't know what they are doing and just manually adjusts the prices.

Or, another example where you could possibly not use a coupon is if you had Reward Zone certificates. Reward Zone certificates essentially discount the prices on each item you buy and the clerks are not supposed to let you combine them with other offers.

Given my experiences at Best Buy, I don't see any reason to believe that that coupon won't work on whatever the price rings up for when you go into the store on any day. Maybe I've just always been lucky and the clerks never knew not to honor whatever coupons I use, but, if so, I'm sure they'll keep doing it.

Daniel_Hall

Auditioning
I don't believe there is a mistake in saying that the coupon is a waste, if you choose to purchase DH the first week of release. More than likely, the regular price of DH (which would be the sticker price on the DVD itself) will be $49.99. If Best Buy has the set at $39.99 the first week (which they probably will), then the coupon would be even (thus still useless). And, if Best Buy decides to do an even better pricing with RZ (i.e. $34.99) like they did with Lost, then it would be cheaper not to use the coupon.

However, if you are thinking about putting off purchasing DH for a week or so, then the coupon will probably be useful.

Now, if they do decide to honor the coupon on the sale price (which is what I was hoping they would do, though I'm not planning on purchasing DH), then the coupon would be a great deal. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have every faith in what Dave Lambert and Gord Lacey (of TVShowsonDVD.com) have already posted in this thread on this topic:

Quote: Dave Lambert

Net result: DH for $40 at BB. Minus the $10 coupon from Lost: Season 1. Minus a $10 mail-in rebate. Final DH cost: $20! :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wow you guys are really making this one hard when it seems to be so easy.

just take the coupon and go buy dh. whatever price it rings up to be, it will now be $10 cheaper becasue of the coupon.

even during the first week pricing.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Sounds like it's all Best Buy's fault for not stating on the coupon wether the $10.00 off was on the MSRP or their own Regular (Discount) Price.

With their wording I'm sure you could hold them to it's off your own "Regular Price" but it would be hard to hold them to it's also off this weeks "Sale Price."

Daniel_Hall

Auditioning
Again, I say, it would be nice if the $10 would come off of the sale price. However, with most stores, coupons that say 'off of regular price' will only take it off the sticker price (or the price that the product is normally when it's not on sale). If $39.99 is that price (which I doubt), then it would be $29.99. But more than likely (if the coupon does read 'off of regular price'), then it will take it off whatever the sticker says (which would be the 'regular price').

Most places won't make a coupon off of the MSRP (unless that store sells their products at MSRP). Regular price is not MSRP. They are two totally different things. As is the regular price and sale price (which more than likely DH will be during its first week).

I agree, it isn't that complicated, but it isn't as simple as saying the coupon will work no matter if its on sale or not. It's a valid question, and I wish everyone luck that wants to use it on the sale price.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I guarantee you that my local Best Buy (#221) will take that view if given the choice by corporate. They take the narrowest view of coupons & pricematching. And if they are offering a bonus with a DVD, you can forget about keeping it (unless it's packaged in) if you pricematch.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Concerning the idea of getting both the $10 coupon discount and the $10 rebate for buying both DH and Lost, just don't count on it. After the Dick Van Dyke Show rebate debacle (which is an overly harsh characterization given how great the DVDs are), I'm wary of any deal like this.

As with Van Dyke, I could see the rebate fulfillment center saying that the special $10 coupon at Best Buy was provided in lieu of the rebate (basically as a point-of-purchase rebate).

Jay

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If anyone missed out on the Desperate Housewives Coupon on Lost: Season 1...there is THIS OPTION. Its a $10 digital coupon off DH: Season 1 at bestbuy.com. $38 - $10 = final net price of $28.

Then, with the $10 rebate God Lacey says will be on every DH package, your final price would still be $18...as long as the rebate qualifies on a purchase from an e-tailer. I don't see why not.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Guo Xiong was nice enough to straighten me out on the terms of the $10 coupon offered at bb.com in this week's RoundUp. Here's what Guo had to say:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's yet another update (all of which will be included in the 9-20-2005 Weekly RoundUp):

Best Buy is going to have a RewardZone price of $34.99 on Desperate Housewives: Season 1. Non-RewardZone price of $37.99.

AND, if you haven't purchased LOST: Season 1 yet...you can save $10 at Best Buy...instantly, when you purchase both Lost: Season 1 ($39.99) and Desperate Housewives: Season 1. Must be purchased on same receipt. (BB is also giving away EXCLUSIVE FREE 2006 Desperate Housewive Calendars with DH: S1.)

I suppose it will be possible to get BOTH the instant BB savings and the $10 rebate off the DH package (as reported by Gord Lacey).

To anyone who is doubtful that BB will let you use the $10 coupon for DH that came with their exclusive bonus disc on Lost: Season 1 AND also use your RZ card to get DH for $35...I believe BB would have to honor both deals simultaneously. The argument here is we have paid for the "privilege" of having a RZ membership...so we are entitled to the RZ price AND we made the effort to purchase Lost: S1 at BB in order to get their EXCLUSIVE bonus disc and coupon. I really don't see how they can deny us.

I hope you folks recognize that I am one of the last people to defend BB and their policies. I will, in fact, be one of the first and loudest to complain if my speculation here is wrong. I am, instead, setting up our defense SHOULD BB decide to try and deny us use of the Lost coupon with the RZ price.

I am looking at the following deal on DH: Season 1. $35 with RZ card. $35 - $10 (Lost coupon) = $25. $25 - $10 (DH box rebate) = $15! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Plus, I am still expecting my $10 Redenbacher rebate on my Lost purchase of $35 (final price of $25).

We'll see how this all works out.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Mike, I picked up DH at Best Buy this morning. It took $10 off the $37.99 price, although I am an RZ member.

$27.99 strikes me as a great price. I wonder if anyone will get it for $24.99?

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

I knew I'd read about a Lost/DH mail-in rebate somewhere! However, my copy, bought at Best Buy this morning, did NOT have any certificate or details about a rebate. Has anyone else bought a copy with this rebate form enclosed? And if you did.. did you find one at Best Buy

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator
I did not find any copies of Desperate Housewives at Best Buy that had that rebate offer, and there were plenty to look through.

According to the weekly ad, it says if you buy DH and Lost on the same receipt, you will get $10 off. I wonder if something changed.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Best Buy:

Posted price: $34.99 with Reward Zone, $37.99 otherwise.
Actual price: $24.99 with $10 coupon from the Lost DVD a couple of weeks ago.

Plus tax, of course. I am pleased.

- Steve

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good for you, Steve! I tried...but only got $27.99 - $10 coupon even though I AM a RZ member. :frowning:

Can't complain too much, though. Now we've just got to find out more about this $10 rebate on the purchase of both Lost & DH!

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The computer/register at the Best Buy where I went yesterday only allowed the $10 price off and not the further reduction as well to the Reward Zone price. I also didn't have any rebate offer.

Neil

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Argh! Something flakey is going on. I --swear-- that I saw $27.05 on their screen at one time, which is the exact price of a $24.99 item after tax is added. Then a box popped up where the cashier has to approve the transaction. I did not pay that close attention, but thought I was covered since the right price was on the screen.

Now that I look at the receipt, I see that the $3 RZ discount was dropped.

@#$%. Sorry for the glimmer of hope when there was not one. Now I really need to know more about that $10 rebate. Maybe I can ask for the coupon when I call up for the booklet that was left out of the DH set.

And I am not beyond going in to ask for the posted RZ price on this one at the Customer Service desk...

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks