What's new

Designing HT - Need Help w/ Colors!!! (1 Viewer)

friesepferd

Auditioning
Real Name
Jess
Hi there!
I'm a newb to the forum so I'll start out by giving a quick overview of my situation.
I am going to be building a house pretty soon which will have a HT in the basement.
It will be two rows of seating, projector & screen style. I'll show post the layout when I have it.
We want it to have a 'classy' look to it and have decided on merlot colored ceilume ceiling tiles (as shown below)

and I am pretty sure we are going to go with dark brown walls, probably with a slightly red tint but not overwehlming.
Any comments or suggestions on this color scheme?
What about carpet color? I was thinking maybe a tan/gold carpet. Im really not sure about that.
May later add collumns, also a gold/tan color?
Any inputs, pictures, online color palletes, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Below is a quick makup of the approx colors I was thinking of:

maybe a smidge darker on the gold?
I know the merlot color doesnt match on my palette. I think the actual color is in btwn the two pics shown

friesepferd

Auditioning
Real Name
Jess
I am trying to decide on colors for my new theater room and have chosen to get these cieling tiles:

That picture may or may not be a bit purply compaired to what they really are.
I am trying to come up with a color scheme and am thinking blown walls and tan/gold carpet.
What do you think? Any ideas or suggestions?
Maybe something similar to this:
ceiling walls floor

friesepferd

Auditioning
Real Name
Jess
also if anyone has pictures of their theater rooms- especially ones with similar color schemes that would be great!

g-man70

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Jenovai
I went with black glacier ceiling tile and grid, dark burgandy walls, and a dark grey (earth) carpet. It's a smaller room, 10x17. Here are some photos.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I would go darker on the floor. Carpet was one of the last things that we put in, and I can't believe how much "darker" the room became when we switched from tan plywood and grey cement to black carpet. It "soaked up" a lot of light.

I went with a olive/dark green ceiling, black and tan walls, and black carpet:

https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/thumbs/5/5b/Adam_Theater_Right_Wall.JPG/1000x500px-LL-Adam_Theater_Right_Wall.JPG">[/url]

Sorry the front picture is so dark, but it eats up the light

This one under construction shows it better:

g-man70

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Jenovai
I agree with Adam on the floor. Go much darker.

Very classy looking theater there Adam.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I went with brown tones in my theater, too. We have a pretty deep brown carpet, the trim nearly matches the carpet color, the walls are a lighter, more neutral color, and the ceiling we left white. As you can see in the picture below, with the lights out, everything disappears nicely.

[url=/imageinfo/Theater.jpg]

[/url]

friesepferd

Auditioning
Real Name
Jess
do you think i should go lighter walls and darker floor?
if i had the merlot ceiling and darker brown floor, what color walls?
Would merlot ceiling with darker/rich brown walls and floor be too much?

friesepferd

Auditioning
Real Name
Jess
here is a pic of a home theater with a similar color scheme that used these ceiling tiles

i dont like the red panels, and i dont think well have wood around screen like that, but same ceiling, similar walls, similar chair color.
too bad i cant see the color of the carpet in this pic!
any comments or ideas on this?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Home Depot or Lowes is now selling small sample cans of paint. Get a few different colors that you are interested in and paint a 2x2 or 3x3 square on the wall and set a ceiling tile next to it. Remember to get a flat or satin sheen. We ended up going with different colors that we initially assumed after we got one yard samples of the different fabrics we were interested in based on how they actually looked on the wall in our room. When you are getting your paint samples you can also get some carpet samples (a carpet store has a better sample selection than Home Depot or Lowes). That way you can try different carpets with different paints against your ceiling tile. You can mix and match until you find what you are looking for. Keep us posted!

FWIW I think the ceiling on the bottom looks better with the burgundy grid . They white grid seems to break it up in the top picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks