What's new

Deputy, Virginian S2, and Wagon Train S2 deal (low to mid $30's) @ Amazon (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Title says it all. The Complete Deputy, Virginian Season 2, and Wagin Train Season 2 are all selling in the low to mid $30 at Amazon. These are even better then the Sam's Club deals that had each at $39.99.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by smithb

Title says it all. The Complete Deputy, Virginian Season 2, and Wagin Train Season 2 are all selling in the low to mid $30 at Amazon. These are even better then the Sam's Club deals that had each at $39.99.

I got two of these three already. How is The Deputy as a show?

And remind me, what was the comedy Western that grew out of The Virginian? I think that's on dvd too, but I don't know about the price...

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I've only watched a few episodes of The Deputy so far. Henry Fonda only plays an integrated role in about 20 of the 75 episodes, while in the remaining he only shows up briefly. The other guy does a decent enough job when Fonda is not around, but I haven't seen enough yet to really judge.

The other show you are probably referring to is Laredo. I have it as well, and it is a fun show. I got mine in half season sets for about $15 each (total $60). Buy.com currently has the whole collection for just under $60.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

I've only watched a few episodes of The Deputy so far. Henry Fonda only plays an integrated role in about 20 of the 75 episodes, while in the remaining he only shows up briefly. The other guy does a decent enough job when Fonda is not around, but I haven't seen enough yet to really judge.

The other show you are probably referring to is Laredo. I have it as well, and it is a fun show. I got mine in half season sets for about $15 each (total $60). Buy.com currently has the whole collection for just under $60.
Laredo! That's it. Thanks. And thanks for the review of The Deputy.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just picked up season 3 of The Virginian at Sam,s for $39.98 . Also picked up season 1 of Laramie for $19.98 .

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by borisfw

Just picked up season 3 of The Virginian at Sam,s for $39.98 . Also picked up season 1 of Laramie for $19.98 .

Great. Knowing of the upcoming releases in the next month, I've been think of going to Sam's club and seeing if they may have come in early (like they do some times). Now to see if they made it to my Sam's. Thanks for the update.

Was the Virginian S3 in a tin or standard slim cases? Hoping for slim cases, I'm not big on the tins.

Edit: Stopped by my Sam's today and they were in around here as well. I picked up a copy of each and look forward to checking them out. The Laramie S1 is in the thin cardboard sleeve standard too many TMG release. I'll be curious to see how good the prints are compared to what turned about to be a frustration for many that bought the color season. TMG took a page from mill creek on the virginian S3 release using one of those extra-extra wide cases that hold 10 paper sleeves. While not perfect i will take it over a tin with the cardboard fold-out (like wagon train) where the disks are two tight and too easily scratched.

mark78

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Is the Virginian S3 in a tin or box? I have the half season sets from Sam's for season 1 and 2 and was hoping it would look good together on the shelf.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The Virginian is in a plastic case that holds 10 dvds . There is also a bonus dvd that comes in a paper sleeve . the bonus disc is an interview with L.Q. Jones .

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank

Great. Knowing of the upcoming releases in the next month, I've been think of going to Sam's club and seeing if they may have come in early (like they do some times). Now to see if they made it to my Sam's. Thanks for the update.

Was the Virginian S3 in a tin or standard slim cases? Hoping for slim cases, I'm not big on the tins.

Edit: Stopped by my Sam's today and they were in around here as well. I picked up a copy of each and look forward to checking them out. The Laramie S1 is in the thin cardboard sleeve standard too many TMG release. I'll be curious to see how good the prints are compared to what turned about to be a frustration for many that bought the color season. TMG took a page from mill creek on the virginian S3 release using one of those extra-extra wide cases that hold 10 paper sleeves. While not perfect i will take it over a tin with the cardboard fold-out (like wagon train) where the disks are two tight and too easily scratched.

[/QUOTE]

The Virginian case i got had each disc on a hub . Then the extra disc was in a paper sleeve .

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Edit: Stopped by my Sam's today and they were in around here as well. I picked up a copy of each and look forward to checking them out. The Laramie S1 is in the thin cardboard sleeve standard too many TMG release. I'll be curious to see how good the prints are compared to what turned about to be a frustration for many that bought the color season. TMG took a page from mill creek on the Virginian S3 release using one of those extra-extra wide cases that hold 10 paper sleeves. While not perfect i will take it over a tin with the cardboard fold-out (like wagon train) where the disks are two tight and too easily scratched.

[/QUOTE]
The Virginian case i got had each disc on a hub . Then the extra disc was in a paper sleeve .

Yes, you are correct, I posted before actually opening the case on Virginian. The Virginian case is actually better then I initially thought with standard type hubs fitting a disk inside each cover and four trays of two disks a piece.

My take on the video quality after a quick scan:

- Video quality of the Virginian set is in keeping with past releases. So if you have any of those you will be quite satisfied with this release as well.

- Laramie, on the other hand, wasn't quite up to expectation. Granted, I was expecting a bit more hearing that the prints came from studio vaults. I only scanned the beginnings of each episode on the first disk. The first was washed out with at best a medium gray representing black. Another had a special note mentioning that this and another episode were not recovered from the vaults and so for completeness they substituted in the best copy they could find. This copy resembled a pretty poor PD type release. Now since only two are supposed to be like that, I'm still glad they included them in the set. The next two were very watchable but just on par with typical Encore broadcasts. The last one I examined had pretty good black level and detail but a lot of print damage (white specks). So over all, the video quality was about average for a TMG release, matching the typical quality we get when they go about scavenging 16mm prints, but not living up to the expectation of what a studio vault could deliver.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I havn't had a chance to check into my sets yet . So i'm glad to hear the quality seems to be on par with the other releases .

As far as Laramie is concerned . I would rather have the set than not . Even if one or two episodes are not up to par . Plus at $19.98 for 31 episodes how can you go wrong . I never seen Laramie until the 3rd and 4th seasons were put out on dvd . I enjoyed them and i hope they put out the second season soon to finish the run .

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I havn't had a chance to check into my sets yet . So i'm glad to hear the quality seems to be on par with the other releases .

As far as Laramie is concerned . I would rather have the set than not . Even if one or two episodes are not up to par . Plus at $19.98 for 31 episodes how can you go wrong . I never seen Laramie until the 3rd and 4th seasons were put out on dvd . I enjoyed them and i hope they put out the second season soon to finish the run .

I have no qualms with picking up Laramie for $20. While I've never seen it before, it seemed worthy of a try. And the quality at first glance seems acceptable enough. If I came down hard on it, it is because of the early talk of studio prints being used. Not that studio prints guarantee anything, but it does give a sense that the quality might be above average, and these didn't meet that expectation. So I just wanted to prepare people thinking of a purchase. If a prerspective buyer is comfortable with an average in quality release by TMG then these should meet that expectation.

mark78

Agent
Real Name
Mark
May 17th is release date for Wagon Train Season 3 and The Virginian Season 4. So Sam's Club will probably get them in April. I just got The Virginian Season 3 yesterday. The Sam's I usually frequent didn't have it the last few times I checked so I went to the other yesterday and they had 1 left. The person who checks your receipt when you leave said they were selling a lot of the Virginian sets.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I'll have to start looking for them in Sam's in April. Now I will be able to clear some disk space from the season 4 captues I made from the Encore Western channel. And I can delay the Wagon Train captures for another season as well. Timeless is releasing these now at a pretty good pace.

mark78

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Has anyone found the new sets, Wagon Train S3 or Virginian S4 at Samsclub yet? I've been looking for the last month and still no luck. They usually get them way in advance of release date which is this Tuesday.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I'm in the same boat. I've stopped by several times during the last few weeks but no go yet.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

I'm in the same boat. I've stopped by several times during the last few weeks but no go yet.

I stopped by today to look and saw nothing either. In fact, it seemed like there were less Timeless sets than normal.

Gary "no doubt that Sam's Club often offers great deals for these dvds" O.

mark78

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Just ordered them from Overstock for $80.55 total which would have been $4 less than Sam's clubs price.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Just ordered them from Overstock for $80.55 total which would have been $4 less than Sam's clubs price.

Still a no show at my Sam's on release day. While I keep seeing Timeless sets on display, they are the same titles I have been seeing for months. With this and Gary's comments above I have to wonder if this is a sign of a change where Timeless and Sam's no longer have a distribution deal for new titles. Maybe what we are seeing now is just left over stock to be sold. My Costco sold Timeless titles several years back but they haven't been stocked since. I hate to see the same happen's with Sam's. There is something to be said for being able to walk out with a new title in hand at a discounted price. I also liked that Sam's would get some titles in simpler containers (e.g., Virginian) that weren't available at other locations (e.g., standard cases vs. tin's with cardboard sleeves). I just might have to make an order with Overstock myself.

Edit: So much for going the Overstock route. Not only are they out of stock but the price bounced up to $57 each (ignore the price on the search page that still list them at $38, the product pages are $57). If they don't show up at Sam's in the near future for $40 or unless BN puts out a 50% off coupon, I will just have to wait it out for the next season of each to release when the previous seasons generally get discounted to sub $40.

mark78

Agent
Real Name
Mark

Still a no show at my Sam's on release day. While I keep seeing Timeless sets on display, they are the same titles I have been seeing for months. With this and Gary's comments above I have to wonder if this is a sign of a change where Timeless and Sam's no longer have a distribution deal for new titles. Maybe what we are seeing now is just left over stock to be sold. My Costco sold Timeless titles several years back but they haven't been stocked since. I hate to see the same happen's with Sam's. There is something to be said for being able to walk out with a new title in hand at a discounted price. I also liked that Sam's would get some titles in simpler containers (e.g., Virginian) that weren't available at other locations (e.g., standard cases vs. tin's with cardboard sleeves). I just might have to make an order with Overstock myself.

Edit: So much for going the Overstock route. Not only are they out of stock but the price bounced up to $57 each (ignore the price on the search page that still list them at $38, the product pages are $57). If they don't show up at Sam's in the near future for $40 or unless BN puts out a 50% off coupon, I will just have to wait it out for the next season of each to release when the previous seasons generally get discounted to sub $40.

Sorry you missed the good price at Overstock. My order is processing so don't know if they'll ship soon or not. I was hoping to get Virginian at Sam's in the same case as Season 3, but my Sam's have been carrying Season 3 in both designs tin/plastic so this may mean they won't continue with the special packaging for Sam's. Also I have two Sam's close by and the previously more frequented store has less Timeless sets available than ever before, while the other has many of the Timeless sets, just not the newest releases. Wondering if they are going to quit selling the Timeless sets altogethr?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks