What's new

Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel SACD - 5.1? (1 Viewer)

John Milton

Second Unit
Does anyone know if the new Depeche Mode "Playing The Angel" SACD that comes out tomorrow in the UK will include a 5.1 track? All of the sites I've looked at mention 5.1 for the bonus DVD but I cannot locate a definitive answer for the SACD. I'm a huge DM fan and loved the 101 5.1 SACD and am hoping for the best with their new album.

AricB

Second Unit
it appears there is a uk only deluxe edition, it appears to be a hybrid sacd, with seperate dvd(containing dts and dd5.1 mixes). i've seen only a couple foreign websites that do list the sacd as 5.1.

i havent been able to find if it is ntsc of pal for the dvd? i'd order the import if it will all play fine on my us players?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
In the US you can find the DVD and CD packaged together like a dual disc but not a dual disc release persay.

The CD is crazy good.
The DVD features the album in DTS 5.1, DD 5.1 and PCM.
Making the Angel - I assume its a Documentary
Precious - video
Clean(bare) ???
Photo Gallery
and I'm not sure if this is an extra or not but it lists "pain and suffering in various tempos" below that.

What little I samped of the DTS, It's crazy good.

I'd probably buy the SACD too :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait to hear it. I preordered it somewhere but it hasn't arrived yet.

I have concert tix for Nov. 5th.

DavidKNML

Agent
From Depechemode.com

Notes: This is the first album to come with a bonus DVD. On the UK release, the "Deluxe Edition" comes with a SACD, and a DVD. For the US release, the "Deluxe Edition" has the same content, but comes as a CD and a DVD (with the DVD having the UK SACD's surround mixes).

I'm picking it up today I listened to the album about 10 times already. I think its the better than their last several albums.

Link

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Does the US version have DVD-Audio? That's pretty screwed up that the UK gets a hybrid SACD but the US doesn't- somebody really has it in for the format.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Agreed. It seems like it's more trouble for them to remove the SACD layer for the USA rather than just manufacture it for us the same as EU. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, they lost a sale to me.

Doug

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I just listened to it for the first time. Hopefully it grows on me. Exciter wasn't a very good album but it still had 2-3 songs I loved. There's nothing on here that really grabbed me right off the bat other than the remix of Waiting for the Night.

Has anyone seen a concert track list yet? I love seeing them live but I'm always disappointed they don't play more pre-Violater songs. The last 3 times I've seen them they only played like 3-4.

John Milton

Second Unit
I've listened to the first 8 tracks on the CD. I started off quite impressed with the first 3 songs but then the album went downhill. I'll listen to the rest on my way to and from work tomorrow. Hopefully the second half will be better. As for their last album, Exciter, I love that CD and put it behind Music For The Masses as their best. It's good to hear that the SACD has a surround mix. I'll probably put in in my next UK order.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
listening to it for the first time right now. overall, color me unimpressed. i'll obviously listen to it some more, but i hate the "have to listen to it a few times before i like it" effort. i mean, my god, their older albums BLEW ME AWAY on the very first listen. with ultra, it took some time, but i came to like that album. exciter? i probably can't even recognize some of those tunes like i can on their older stuff (play the first few notes of any early dm song and i'll nail it ... instantly).

oh well ... i'll still buy their albums (own them all plus several imports, remixes, etc) .... i'll go to their concerts (haven't missed one since the black celebration tour) -- because they are still dm and they got me through a lot and gave me countless hours of listening pleasure.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Too bad the USA got shut out on a "Hi-Rez" release. I would get the import but the video portion is PAL and that don't fly on my system. And I'm not getting both import and domestic, so it looks like DTS for me and my surround habit.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ive heard a couple tracks from the new album... and it sounds good. I heard a few tracks from VIOLATOR when it first came out, and liked it alot, but it wasnt until recenlty that purchased the album. I have since become a HUGE depeche mode fan. Id like to hear the new album in SACD.

But even more, Id like to have high-rez remaster of VIOLATOR.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
pretty good arman! for the most part, i agree with your album reviews. i'd probably change:

songs of faith ... 4/5
catching up ... 3/5 (it's more or less a best of)
construction time ... 3/5
speak & spell ... 4/5
a broken frame ... 5/5 (love this album)

man ... and i thought *i* was a dm nut. ;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks