What's new

Denon Receivers... (1 Viewer)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
I know ther has been ALLOT of discussion on these particular receivers...I'm having trouble deciding on what to do, my situation is as follows...

I was prepared for going the seperate route, Rotel seperates were the last components on my mind. However, the price point right now is more then budget allows. Also, I feel you get allot more in terms of "features" in a A/V reciever then out of seperates. I am looking at the Denon AVR-3803 and the AVR-4802, the difference in price is $1000 CAD. Is the THX certified and extra features justifiable to the price? does the 4802 have allot more features? Also, How would the 4802 compare in terms of SQ to say a pair of Rotel seperates, It looks like a pretty nice receiver, I seen one up close and they are very VERY classy looking, and built like a tank.

Another question I have is, are the denon recivers more reliable then H/K's?

My impression is the AVR-4802 is a VERY high end receiver, and while I know seperates are superior, this thing come damn close and this is about as good as it gets for A/V receivers, am I right? Thanks!

ArthurJ

Second Unit
I actually had an idea...should I just invest in a good seperate amp consideing It will last me ALLOT longer then a pre-pro? What I mean is should I just get a 3803 and an outboard amp (will cost the same as the 4803) that way down the road when I need to upgrade all I have to do is upgrade the reciever and my $ loss is less...or I can just pick up a sperate down the road when I get a better flow of income. Will a 3803 with an outboard amp outperform the 4803? This seems like a better route and from what the general concious says, nothing beats outboard amplification. What do you guys think?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
3803/4802/5803 & Pioneer 47/49 & Yamaha 2200/3200/ax1/z1 & Onkyo 900/989v2 would be great choices. I was thinking the same thing on amps. I have a 3802 and have considered extra amps instead of a 5803/49txi/989v2/z1. Cheaper and probably better if you have the space for all that. I just like having everything in one unit for simplicity.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
ArthurJ
IMO I would go with the 3803 and a separate amp. Or just get the 3803 now and enjoy it and save the $ for even a better amp down the road. This is exactly what I have done. I have the 3803, a nice piece and have been really satisfied and one of the reasons I selected was I felt it would make a great Pre/pro during my upgrade path. I am not far from my next step of adding an amp and will let you know what I think. Good luck Jeff

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
(I might be showing my ignorance here on separates...)

I would think that initially one would only need separates for the two main speakers (letting the 3803 handle the rest), which might lessen the immediate cash outlay.

jdg

steven pm

Agent
I'd go withthe 3803. Then, decide later if you want an outboard. AN H/K receiver should be just as reliable; never heard of *any* real problems with them.

BTW, "a lot" is two *s-e-p-A-r-a-t-e* words!!

CurtisC

Second Unit
The Denon 3803 is a great unit,I upgraded from 3802(great avr) for a few hundred bucks.Noticably better pre/pro,remote,trigger etc.I use outboard amps,not that the 3803 is too weak,but because I only needed a pre/pro.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Hey Jeff,Parasound 1205a(5 ch)I use the Denon rear amps for 7.1.I have Klipsch rf7's,rc7,rs7's and rsw 15 sub.I tried some other popular subs,(one was $45.00 just to audition)the rsw15 has massive(more than I need) output in my 24x24 room.I also did week long auditions with other speakers,for me the only thing close was 1k more.The 3803 will take Klipsch(super eff.) to 110db's+ crystal clear,but I really like the Parasound..I updated my set up with the 3803 all for about 300.00.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I use a 3802 with a Parasound 1500A powering my mains. To be honest, I only notice a difference with 2 channel sources at very high (I almost never go that loud) volumes. For me the point was to slowly move to separates, so I keep myself happy by reminding myself it will pay off in the end. If I were you, I'd get the 3803 now and save up for a better 5 or 7 channel amp, then later down the road purchase a dedicated processor.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks