1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Denon DVD-2900 may have chroma bug

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Haris Ellahi, May 8, 2003.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Well-Known Member

2. HarryR

HarryR Active Member

Well, my RP91 was stolen at Christmas. I really have been wanting a universal player and knew about the 2900. I really thought they would have all the issues hammered out but he we are talking about the chroma bug and bass management.

If these issues are not resolved I cannot see spending 900 on this player when I can buy an RP91 for 300-400 and just buy a separate SACD later.

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Well-Known Member

Harry, how is the video performance on the RP91?

4. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Well-Known Member

I doubt that it's the chroma bug. As already noted by the original poster, it's probably a different issue. I would wait until a more reliable source such as Don Munsil or Stacey Spears to make a definitive statement about the Chroma issue.

5. Marc_E

Marc_E Well-Known Member

Yeah definatly wait for a more reliable source than that screw ball...wait.that's me! I may have jumped the gun a bit. It definatly looked like the bug but it may be the other issue. I am going to take a look at non-disney discs that are know for the bug and see tonight.
    Marc (FREAK!)

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Well-Known Member

Marc,
    You almost made me disregard the 2900. Thanks a lot! Just kidding, I really HOPE this player does not have a chroma issue, I have been waiting for this player for a while and hope it performs the way it should.

7. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Well-Known Member

Sorry FREAK! Hope you didn't take offense, but I think you'll agree that Spears and Munsil are a more reliable source than just about anyone on this issue! I do appreciate hearing the comments on the player.

8. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Well-Known Member

Why the hostility?

9. Don Munsil

Don Munsil Well-Known Member

That's very kind. Thanks. I just posted a pretty complete rundown on what's going on with the 2900 on AVS Forum, in the thread referenced above. The short version is that it has a chroma-bug-like issue with alternating progressive flag material. Unfortunately, this material is pretty common. You can't really call it a bug, because they're following the spec to the letter, but it's still not up to the standards set in this area by the best chipsets.

Don

10. HarryR

HarryR Active Member

Jeff, the video was just fine on the RP 91. The audio was adequate IMO. Heck, if they could have just added SACD to the RP91 I would jump all over it.

11. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

Don said:

12. John Kotches

John Kotches Well-Known Member

Keith,

Repeat this, ad nauseum:
    There is no perfect DVD player.....
    There is no perfect DVD player.....

[​IMG]

Regards,

13. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

John, I just can't get myself to say it. I tried and tried and tried, but I can't do it. [​IMG]

So, when is Denon going to initiate a full-scale recall of the '2900? [​IMG]

14. RAF

RAF Well-Known Member

FREAK,

I've adjusted the title of this thread to include the word "may" to better reflect your position on this (ala other cyber venues).

15. RAF

RAF Well-Known Member

16. Marc_E

Marc_E Well-Known Member

Thanks for the title change. I think I jumped a little too fast to report and I do totally agree that I can't even be counted as high as amateur in regards to player rating in comparison to the fantastic people at Secrets! I got a PM from Denon Jeff indicating they are working on it. I am hoping for a CD to pop in to correct it.
    Time will tell...
    How is the secrets review going?
    Make no mistake. I LOVE this player! It is fantastic other than this pseudo error. I watched most of The Hunt for Red October and was very impressed (don't forget FREAK!=sub-amateur). On the title credits the 'Red October' was very red and no problem there. The scene where the LA class sub bridge turns all red was fine too if that is a supporting indication that the regular chroma bug is not there.
    Marc

17. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    So then what is the audio section for playback of MC SACD and DVD-A like performance wise?

Parker

18. CurtisC

CurtisC Well-Known Member

Well,for me the dvd-a was a bummer as 25 minutes into play my 2900 started skipping,then said, no play.I tried another and after a few songs same thing,then another,same thing.I should say this could just be a faulty unit,not a design flaw,I hope.It also sounds like a microwave oven,it does play cd's fine.By the way dvd-a and cd did sound quite good,never made it to sacd, and video is not too important to me.

19. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Well-Known Member

CurtisC,
    I had the same problem with a few disc last Friday and it got worst on Tuesday, it wouldn't play any DVD-A or DVD-V at all. SACD still works. Packed it up and traded for another unit on Wednesday and everything works fine now for 2 days. I love this player for both A&V. You gotta try SACD. Keep checking the symptoms!!

20. CurtisC

CurtisC Well-Known Member

Thanks Daniel,thats what I'll do.