What's new

Denon DP-300F Turntable (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
First off, I need an automatic. I just cannot rick a direct drive with my vinyl. So no, "get a direct drive for the same amount or less" comments, please.
How does this perform. Seems to be the best automatic for the dollar. Would a $40 Grado cart improve the sound? Any other comment on the DP-300F?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea what you're saying here. Direct drive/belt drive and manual/automatic are two completely unrelated issues.

I do nto know about that table, but I have a Denon DP-7F, their automatic direct drive turntable from the mid-90s which was at about the same price point. I have been very satisfied with it, it sounds great and plays very reliably even 12 years later. I'd look to Denon turntables again. I don't know about carts much.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Dean: while direct-drive and belt-drive systems each have their (subtle IMO) pros & cons, I have never heard of a DD table causing damage to vinyl in any way.

FYI: unfortunately, its the really cheapo DD tables sold back in the 80s (say, under $150) that mainly gave that system a bad reputation. Because if the spindle bearing but especially the drive motor aren't made well (DD motors aren't something you throw together with basic hand tools!), that's when the dreaded vibration and rumble issues start to become apparent.

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
I just got this turntable, but have not done any critical listening on it yet. But so far, Its sounds a TON better than my cheap Sony. but at the same time, I think I have to get a different cartridge already. On some records, they sound over driven. I tried the built in EQ into a non phono in put on my Yamaha DSP-A1 and no EQ in the phono input. but still some records still sound over driven. (wasnt the case on my old Sony) I'll let the new Denon break in a little more and post a real review.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, my dealer highly recommends using a $40 Grado Black cartridge with it. Said it will dramatically improve the sound.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
"over driven"? As in distorted? Such an effect could happen because the cart is not perfectly aligned (this is why P-mount carts came into existance in the early 80s).

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
Yes "distorted". But why only on some records and not all?
I think I'll do a serious sit down on Sunday and listen to a bunch of records.
Even before I bought it I was looking at different Grado cartridges for it. I just wonder what the magic ratio is, cost of turntable to cartridge cost.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Good question. Would anything above the $40 Grado black be overkill on the DP-300F?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks