1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Denon demise, Marantz win, cat survives anyway

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by fyngyrz, Dec 9, 2011.

1. fyngyrz

fyngyrz Member

Ben
    My Denon receiver was mounted in such a way that I couldn't see the back of it (thru-wall) but it had plenty of room for heat dissipation, etc. Well, it also had room for the cat to sleep on it. Warm, and comfy. Well, apparently the cat was a little sick, and it barfed into the top vents. This must have been some time ago, for when the receiver gave out, all was dry, etc. But kitty's tummy juices had literally eaten through some of the wires on the printed circuit board, these were data bus wires, and the Denon accordingly lost its mind. I can make it work again by pushing the wire ends together, but... it was time to retire it anyway. Great gear, but component rather than HDMI, and so... I managed a deal on a Marantz AV 7005, an interesting pre-pro; then I collected a bunch of MA700 amplifiers, using EBay. The resulting system sounds amazing. Marantz includes as a feature on the AV7005 a remote out and in jack pair. This is D-Bus, though not documented as such in the (huge) manual. Well, the MA700's also have D-Bus ins and outs, despite being from another generation of hardware entirely. Turn on the pre-pro, the amps sequence on; put the pre-pro in standby, the MA700's follow suit. Quite aside from my general pleasure at the system's sound and visual performance, this cross-generation compatibility just tickled me silly. Huge kudos to Marantz for just making sure it all worked together without any hoop-jumping. Now I have 205" of 1080p joy along with 1,700 watts of honest, discrete power. Whoo-hoo. :D