What's new

Denon BDP-1611UD (1 Viewer)

MasterAudio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
I'm having a hard time understanding the audio decoding with this Blu-Ray player. Does it decode the audio and then send it to the receiver? I know most BDP's don't usually do this, but it's a $500 player. Any help would be much appreciated.Also, what's up with the UI? I know we don't buy these devices to look at the menu screen, but it looks like Denon developed the UI to look it it was made in 1999. Anyways, let me know about the audio decoding if you can and let me know your thoughts on this product. Thank guys.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't understand why you don't understand what the 1611 can be set to decode and what it can be set to pass off to the AVR for it to decode.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since I don't know "what exactly" is your confusion about what it decodes...or has to...

SACD. This player can either decode SACD as MCH and pass it over HDMI. Or it can pass it over as DSD if your AVR handles DSD.
DVD-A. All DVD-A players decode this internally.
DTS HD. If set bitstream, the AVR decodes. If set PCM, the player does.
Dolby True HD. Same as DTS HD.

MasterAudio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
I understand the audio formats that it'll play. I was just curious as to which decodes the audio, my AVR or BDP. I hadn't messed with the bitstream or PCM setting, and wasn't sure to which did what. Thank you for the response.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Every BD player and universal player(I've never had a BD universal) I've had...

SACD and DVD-A had to be set up from the default of 2.0 playback. Even my newer HDMI players defaulted to 2.0...till set up.

BD players(the ones I've had) were set up PCM downmix. PCM downmix is default because that is the only way the vast majority of TVs will produce sound. You have to set them up for 5.1/7.1. Whether you set them up PCM or bitstream(assuming your AVR can also decode) makes zero difference in the audio. The only "benefit" to bitstream is the cool lights come on on your AVR. Otherwise it just sits there showing it is receiving PCM.

If you can tell the difference between the 1611 decoding or your AVR doing it...more power to you...and I wouldn't believe it(and the vast majority here wouldn't either).

Now if this were the Oppo with ESS DAC and you were using MCH inputs...and you could tell a difference that way...then I would believe you if you said there was a difference.

But the 1611 has neither MCH output...nor decent DACs(buying the 1611 for analog 2.0 is useless).
The 1611 is best utilized as simply a transport into an AVR(which 99% of people use their DVD/BD players that way anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks