What's new

Denon AVR3803 or Elite 45TX or JVC RX-DP10VBK (1 Viewer)

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
These are the 3 I am considering for my next purchase. Which one would you buy and why?

Thanks

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
3803 for video upconversion (upconverts so that composite and s-video can be passed through to the component to allow for only one video connection.
or
45tx for MCACC (auto calibration)

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
What about the JVC? THX Ultra Certified and the Amplifiers on the Receiver are supposed to be incredible.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Steve,

Keep in mind one thing about the upconversion feature of the Denon, and that is that it really doesn't give any better quality of picture if you have an S-video source going to the 3803, and then via component into the display device. This is mainly a convenience feature more than anything, and thefore limiting the number of cables needed to go to the display from the receiver. Personally, I run all my video sources straight into the the display bypassing the receiver. I just want to make that this point is clear.

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
Well I went with the JVC. The $780 Shipped Price tag was hard to pass up. It was a Factory Reconditioned JVC but is from Overstock.com which is a Certified JVC Rep. I have heard many very good things about this Receiver so I have to give it a try.

Anyone else have or heard this receiver before?

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Steve,

Give it hell. It would be nice to see a break from the usual Elite/Denon/Marantz/Sony/Yamaha/etc. receiver discussions. I would be very interest in your take on it when it arrives and you get it up and running.

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
I have had a Denon AVR3801, a Pioneer Elite VSX-41 and VSX-43TX, and an Onkyo TX-DS797, Kenwood VR6070, so we will see where it compares. The Pioneer VSX-43TX was the best of the bunch above and that was why I was considering trying the 45TX.

I can't believe no one on this board has had or heard the JVC. Sound and Vision loves this Receiver and it is THX Ultra Certified and only $789 Shipped. A steal in my opinion.

Ben_E

Stunt Coordinator
Please let us know how well the JVC works out for you Steve, I'm very interested in knowing.

John_AG

Auditioning
A recent HiFi News review
compared the JVC, Pioneer 45,Rotel 1055,Yamaha 1300,Sony Onkyo700

Pioneer the best overall, Rotel best sound quality.

Ben_E

Stunt Coordinator
Figures the Rotel wins out. I just wish you could grab it for a decent price. Now that the internet is here and I can nab the 45tx for $760 online from a reputable online retailer I just don't see spending over a grand for a very small improvment. Now I would be willing to spend $900 on the Rotel 1055 but I'd have to get lucky and find one on ebay or in a classified.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
My only problem with the JVC is that it only has like 3 video inputs. That is a far cry from the 7 on my Denon 3803 (which I use all of them).

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
The JVC 10 is a fine RCVR. Test it for us and give us the details. The amps are supposed to be great?????????? 3803 would have been a good choice.
I considered the 10, 3802, 5es before I went with the 3802. Price for the 3802 was $800 or less delivered from an authorized dealer. So I went with the 3802. The 10 has come down in price since then so it would be a tough choice at this time. Also the new 7es is a little pricey.

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
I don't know where you get only 3 Video Inputs. It has 5 Composite, 5 S-video, and 3 Component. That equals a total of 13 Video Inputs almost double of what your Denon has. Also has 3 S-Video Outputs and 3 Composite Outputs and 1 Component where most Receivers only have 1 of each Video Outputs. I have done my research on this receiver and it is loaded as far has hookup features.

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
Well I received the JVC and all I can say is wow. Blows any Receiver away I have ever had. The thing is a beast as it weighs a good 60lbs. Popped in Pearl Harbor for a little DTS action and I'm speechless. Put in a little Grateful Dead and the Clarity and Detail was amazing in 2 Channel. If anyone was considering this Receiver I highly Rec'd. Blows away the Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX, Onkyo TX-DS797, Denon Avr-3802 which I have owned, actually no comparison at all between them.

Its to bad that Overstock.com doesn't have anymore of these at that price. Keep checking if you are interested because for $789 shipped its a steal.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Keep us posted. It looked like a great RCVR when I was shopping. I'm looking to upgrade/or buy an amp for my 3802.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
Well I received the JVC and all I can say is wow. Blows any Receiver away I have ever had. The thing is a beast as it weighs a good 60lbs. Popped in Pearl Harbor for a little DTS action and I'm speechless. Put in a little Grateful Dead and the Clarity and Detail was amazing in 2 Channel. If anyone was considering this Receiver I highly Rec'd. Blows away the Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX, Onkyo TX-DS797, Denon Avr-3802 which I have owned, actually no comparison at all between them.
What type of speaker setup do you have with this unit?

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
Well they have a few more JVC's on Overstock.com for $787.00 plus $2.95 shipping if anyone's intersted. They won't last long.

Craig*Stu

Auditioning
Hey Steve,

Thanks for your posts about the JVC receiver. I've been trying to find one locally for some time, but have had no luck. Could I ask you a question or two?

Does the receiver have a "Bass Boost" or Loudness switch for low volume boost?

Do the 5.1 analog inputs have the ability to be direct or DSP processed?

Thank you for your time.

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
There is no Bass Boost or Loudness Button, but you can adjust the DB(Loudness) from the remote for each speaker during playback at anytime and it will not affect your orginal settings. Sort of lets you control loudness at whatever speaker you see fit(Its a nice feature).

As far as DSP Modes or Line Direct in Multichannel Analog Mode I'm not sure I do not have a DVD-Audio or Sacd Player hooked up but I would think you could.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks