What's new

Denon AVR-3808CI: An Overview (1 Viewer)

Hey I was looking at purchasing a 3808 but can't seem to get one in Central Alberta,Canada so I was looking at the Marantz 7002. Other than 3808 ethernet are these as good, better or what does one think. Does the 7002 pass video as well as the 3808?

BorderBrad

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad
Just to let everyone know, I just called tonight and ordered one from Peter. He said the sale was over yesterday but they are going to keep them at the sale price for a while longer since they have gotten such a good response.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While I am officially starting to start saving for my Denon AVR-3808ci this month. I have a few questions for 3808 owners.
  1. How well is the 3808 decoding lossless format like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio?
  2. Has there been any problems with the HDMI 1.3 switching?
  3. How good is the internal scaler? Are there any issues with the scaler?
  4. And have there been any issues with the Audyssey Setup?
My plan is to purchase the Denon AVR-3808ci to replace my Yamaha RX-V995 that currently sits in my main HT. I am also planning to upgrade my current Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray player to the Denon DVD-2500 BT Blu-ray Transport. I want to make sure that the DVD-2500 BT will bitsteam Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA to the 3808ci. I am going to be so jazzed later this year once I own both peices!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

My goal for 2009 is to own both the Denon receiver and blu-ray transport. :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

peter, who's that?
is he the guy offering the deal we arent supposed to talk about.

Jay*Man

Auditioning

Ron,

Will the Denon 3808 display "Tivo" or anything on the Monitor when you change inputs?
Also, will the Denon display the current Audio format (Dolby Digital 5.1, PCM, DTS, etc) on screen?

Thanks,

I'm this close [ ] to ordering today.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Just ordered mine, excited about lossless audio and having one cable to the tv...not to mention not having to constantly switch tv inputs.

Means I'm going to have to re-watch all my BD movies.....shucks! :)

Bmoney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

im jealous! i just need my yamaha 2500 to sell and then save a little then i will be abck in the denon camp i was a 3801 owner.

yamaha is very nice but love the warmth of the denon. it warms up the klipsch reference series for me. the yamaha 1800 is very nice too. looking between the 2 is tough desicion

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what is dd headphone?

i thought that was something on some dvds as an additional soundtrack

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

The big differences between the 3808 and the 4308 are wireless networking, HD radio tuner and a second HDMI out. If you can live without them the 3808 is a much better buy. RAF has the 3808 and uses it as a preamp. There are 2 12v triggers on the back that you could use to automate your amp. A consideration for the Denon: it can be upgraded (for a fee) to support Audyssey Pro with Dynamic EQ. This gives it the the equivilent perfomance of the $2000 standalone Audyssey Pro processor. The Dynamic EQ is amazing. I'm not sure if the Pioneer has Ethernet or not.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

I'm excited to get it; couldn't really pass up the deal at 6ave. I guess we'll see how it does, last 3800 series I bought I didn't much care for it...or the remote; however, I wasn't doing HD at the time and that was 2 years ago. My old 2801 is still my favorite receiver; my parents seem to like it :)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
1. I did it just to see if it worked (it did). I do decoding in my players (BD10 and XA2). Based on my other experiences with it I don't see that there would be any issues with quality.
2. I have had no HDMI problems with the exception of my cable box--it took forever to change channels when hooked up through HDMI, so I moved it to component. My DVD, BD and HD DVD player have had no problems.
3. Hard to say. I have it scale my cable signal to 1080p, but don't have it touch the other sources. Its not going to be near as good as a stand alone DVDO (or equivilent).
4. There were some issues that affected some speaker configurations. This was fixed in a FW update. If you check for FW updates before you set it up you should be fine.

Someone earlier mentioned iPods. To get video from your iPod you need the Denon dock ASD-1R. If you purchase a license (under $40) you can stream music over the network from iTunes.

Jay*Man

Auditioning

Thanks for the answer.... I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the Denon. I went back tonight to listen to the Denon 3808 & Pioneer 92 (didn't have a 94 hooked up) again, and couldn't tell much difference between the 2.
Is there any way you can post a picture showing the input and surround mode on the monitor?

Thanks,
Jay.

Jay*Man

Auditioning

A friend of mine just ordered the Denon 3808 and will continue to use his Adcom 555 for the fronts... I'll let you know after this weekend how that goes...
..if it goes well and I like the Denon, I'll probably get one myself to replace my 10 year old Denon 3200, but keep my Adcom 545 amp.
For what its worth, I couldn't tell much difference between the Denon 3808 & Pioneer Elite earlier tonight during some demo time.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The remote for the 3808 is no better than any prior remotes... I'll try to take a pic of the on screen display, won't be until later tomorrow as I have to work late tonight.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

How much is the upgrade for the 3808ci ? Is it upgraded over the ethernet connection or off of a disc?

I am saving for the 3808ci but have I been considering stepping up to the 4308ci. The biggest reasons are the 3808 basically does what I need it to do and the extra cost of the 4308. And by not getting the 4308 I could take that money and put that down on a DVD-2500 BTci Blu-ray transport. :emoji_thumbsup:

The Pioneer Elite VSX-94 TXH has a ethernet port but I am not sure if it can be updated via the ethernet port or not. The Pioneer Elite VSX-92 TXH does not seem to have an ethernet port so I beleive that the 94 may be the only Pioneer Elite that has the ethernet. I seriously considered the Pioneer Elite VSX-94 TXH when I was shopping for my next receiver, but the Denon won.

Jay*Man

Auditioning

I think I remember reading that someone paid $300 for the license (key) for Audyssey Pro.

Why/How did the Denon win out? I'm looking at this and the Pioneer Elite and having a difficult time making a decision.

Bmoney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
can someone explain to me what is the difference between lossless tueHD and other HD audio from reg. DD and DTS. I mean what is heard in the differences? cause i already feel BD audio is supierior to SD dvd. thanks for the help. I just wanna make sure the upgrade is justified

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks