What's new

Denon AVR 3805 or HK7200 (1 Viewer)

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
The thread heading says it all I am in the market for a new reciever and just looking for some advice. On a side note I fear all the 7200's will bs snatched up before an objective review on the 3805 is available.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
The 3805 will probably sell for close to list price for the first several months after its release. Plus, the specs for the 3805 look good on paper, but there are not any current "real world" tests to rely on for that receiver.

Personally, I'd go for the H/K 7200 and put the $400 or so that you save into some other gear.

Jason W

Auditioning
Mike,
Personally I have the denon avr-3803. It is a great amp. I work for a retail store that carries both harman and denon products and i choose the 3803 over the harman. Reason being 1)it sounded better 2) Features like video up conversion 3)number of inputs on the back side.

Also with the 3805 your going to have an extra comp video input. Higher bandwith for the comp video. Some type of calibration system which will be similar to the yamaha ypao. 120X7 and Dolby Prologic IIx.

I did just talk to the harman rep the other day for our area and the 7200 will be going out and I forget the new model coming out but it is supposed to carry video up conv.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I was thinking of starting a new thread but found this one with approximately the same subject so I figured I'd just revive it.

As I mentioned in my previous unresponded-to thread, I'm looking to upgrade my Denon AVR2700, which I use as a pre-pro with the Parasound 855A. As I've also mentioned in various threads, I use my system for about 75-25 Music to HT. And I have no plans to go beyond 5 speakers.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering getting the Denon 3805 (rather than the Outlaw 950) to replace the 2700, but still keep the Parasound (I gather that Parasound's 85 wpc are better than the 3805's advertised 120 wpc when all channels are driven).

But I've read lots of good things about the HK7200 and HK's reputation for "honest" or understated wpc. I know it's all ultimately subjective but does anyone have an opinion as to whether I'd be better off getting the HK7200 (about $800 on closeout from onecall) and selling my Parasound amp *or* getting the Denon 3805 ($1000 or so) and keeping the amp? My a/v rack couldn't accommodate both the 7200 and the Parasound (only the bottom shelf can hold anything over 40 lbs.).

Since the 7200 has a higher wattage rating, would it be an upgrade of both my amp and pre-pro?

So the question would be "Denon AVR 3805 + Parasound, or HK7200 alone"?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Well, here it is 3 months later - and I'm adding another response. In this situation - now that the AVR-3805 has hit the streets and is in good supply, I'd look closely at the Denon. You could put off buying the Parasound amp, for now, until you determine if the power and sound quality provided by the 3805 is more than enough.

If you do have another month or so to wait things out, you could also consider the AVR-2805, which could save you another $300 - since you would be using the AVR as a pre/pro.

But, if you have a very deep cabinet and plenty of airflow, then the "beast" (aka AVR-7200) is still a viable option.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I use to have a Parasound 855A coupled with a Denon 2802 and was in the same boat as you. I recently purchased a 3805 and came to the conclusion that it is one fine receiver. The WPC are great and I can not tell the difference between the 855 and using the receivers power. So I sold my 855A and I couldn't be happier with the upgrade. Another great thing is you can push 160 WPC @ 6 ohm which comes in handy for my surrounds.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Actually, I rechecked the specs and found that while my a/v rack could accommodate the 7200's weight, it's not quite deep enough. So that makes my decision a little easier.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
My guess would be you wouldn't need the Parasound with the 3805 for sure but maybe if you went with the 2805. So to save yourself some good money buy the 2805 and if you don't need the Parasound you can sell that off and have some money in return.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I thought the AVR-2805 was only out in silver. The black version is coming soon.

I can't vouch for the sound differences between the 2802 and the 3805. However, the 2805 should provide you with some new "bells and whistles" over the 2802.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
The 3805 is much better then the 2802.

Here are some off the top of my head

120 max WPC at 8 ohm compared to 85 WPC on the 2802

7.1 opposed to 6.1

DTS 96/24, Pro Logic IIx, and Widescreen 7.1 processing

sixteen 192kHz/24-bit DACs

ALPHA 24 Processing Plus

more flexibility with the low pass filter

Other changes are minor but may help people looking for better connectivity.

Like I said the Para 855 does not improve my sound from my Diva 6.1 package (w/2 extra R3's) at all when using the 3805 receivers power. As a total unit it sounds much better then the 2802. Now if you had a Halo then of course I'd say stay with that and use the 3805 as a pre/pro. If you want to save space or make some money back sell the 855 and reap the rewards on your new soon to be receiver ;)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Thanks Joel. I just ordered a 3805 last nite, and should get it by the end of the week. I think I'll initially try it for a few weeks without the amp, then maybe try the amp on all 5 channels, and then try it on some channels before I decide what to do with the amp.

How efficient are the Divas? I'm not familiar with them. My speakers (NHT super 2's and 1's) are only 86db.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator

90DB all around. They were called Swan Diva's a few years ago, but now may go buy just Swan now.

Joe Blech

Stunt Coordinator
Another good thing about the 3805 is its ability to bi-amp the mains to 240 WPC while still running 5.1. Can the 7200 do that as well? I'm not sure. I have the 3802 with out a seperate amp and love it. Nice and warm.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I also read that though I don't really understand how it can do it without reducing the wpc available to the other channels. I was under the impression that most receivers rate their wpc with one channel driven, and the more channels they drive, the fewer wpc get sent to each channel.

But it's all academic to me since my speakers aren't bi-ampable.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see some measurements as to how many wpc the 3805 actually puts out when it drives 2, 3 or 5 speakers.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

Bi-amping DOES NOT increase the maximum output of the channel(s) however the strain of powering multiple drivers is split between more amplifier channels. The wattage output stays the same. You might notice the amps will run cooler after connecting up via bi-amping. I certainly do.

Bridging, however does. Usually by a factor of three. A amp must be designed to be bridged (for example the 6 channel Rotel poweramp)

Joe Blech

Stunt Coordinator
Well ya learn something new every day. In the review of the 3805, though, that 240 WPC number was used. Are they bridging? Or just a way of saying that they are runnning 120 watts to the speaker via two different channels?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks