What's new

denon avr 1912 (1 Viewer)

denonvirginuk

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry Appleton
My hi fi (Arcam FMJ) surround amp packed up after long service and I bought a denon avr 1912 thinking that the advertised HDMI / 3D capabilities etc would be good when (in the future!) my 10 year old TV packed up and we would upgrade then. I now find that it seems virtually impossible to set up the denon AVR 1912 without HDMI connectivity, which is about 10 years newer than anything I own! Has anybody else suffered this unpleasant surprise (not remotely obvious from specifications available on the Amazon website) and if so, did you manage to solve how to set up speakers and input from satellite TV and DVD for sound alone. More in hope than expectation. Kind regards

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Barry,

First of all, welcome to the forum! Secondly, I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you - technology is supposed to help us by making things easier, and sometimes it just doesn't seem to work out that way.

I can see how you'd be stuck with the 1912 if you don't have HDMI support on your TV. The On-screen displays are only output via HDMI so even connecting the Denon to your TV using its composite video output won't help. I won't even try suggesting running the setup features without a functional monitor of some sort. There's just no way, IMO, you'll have success "guessing" by counting clicks and pressing "enter" countless times.

Do you have a computer monitor that has an HDMI input? Maybe you could try connecting that just for during setup. How about a friend or someone who may have a smallish (20-24") flat panel display that they can bring over relatively easily?

Does your TV have component video inputs? If so, then you may be faced with exchanging the 1912 for a model that shows the OSD over component video connections - though this is becoming less and less common, too. I just did a check on a comparable Onkyo receiver (the 609) and while it does have a Component video output, the OSD is still restricted to HDMI only.

I will check quickly on other manufacturers...

Wish I had better news for you, but maybe someone else can offer some input.

denonvirginuk

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry Appleton
Dear Jason Many thanks for your rapid reply. I had thought about borrowing kit from friends and will probably end up doing this. Do you happen to know if media tablets along the lines of the Archos 5 or 7 might have available HDMI connections? If they do, I cannot see why they might not be usable as presumably one could then utilise the remote to negotiate the on screen menu displayed on the Archos in the normal way and the two bits of kit could communicate in the same way as the denon does with a modern TV? Yours in hope! Barry

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I'm really not familiar with tablets, so I can't comment definitively on whether or not your suggestion would work, but my impression is that tablets and other such devices are more likely to have HDMI outputs, rather than inputs. Of course, I could very well be wrong on that count.

Ceasar

Auditioning
Real Name
Juul
Just type the receivers IP address in a web browser on a computer connected to the same network and you are fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks