1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 4802R info is up in Denon website.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TanD, Apr 2, 2003.

1. TanD

TanD Well-Known Member

AVR4802R info from denon Website,

THX Ultra2 Certified THX Surround EX/DTS ES 6.1 Discrete/Dolby Digital EX Pro Logic II/DTS A/V Surround Reference Receiver • THX Ultra2 Certified • THX Surround EX; DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1; DTS ES Matrix 6.1; DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Neo:6 Music Matrix Decoding; Dolby Digital EX; Dolby Pro Logic II Cinema and Music Modes • Ultra2 7.1 Cinema and Music modes • Lucasfilm Home THX Cinema 4.0, 5.1 and 6.1ES post-processing • DDSC-Digital featuring dual Analog Devices SHARC 32 bit floating point DSP processors • 7 Channels equal power amplifier section • 125 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Well-Known Member

The 3803 is $800 less, has Burr browns, higher bandwidth component switching, and upconversion. It is only missing a little power, a few inputs, and THX. Who would spend $800 more just for THX?

3. Mike Up

Mike Up Well-Known Member

It seems as the only additions are audio delay, Dolby Digital EX, and THX Ultra2. Then they subtract the touch screen remote.

A price of maybe $1600, but not $2000.[​IMG]

I think it was an extremely bad move to just refresh this model than upgrade the model with new processing, features, and circuits as were done with the AVR-3803 and AVR-5803.

IMO, I don't think it would be wise to purchase this model. They're still asking a new price for old technology. The touch screen remote was about $600, so they really didn't drop the price of the unit, your just not getting or paying for the touch screen remote.

Why Denon and Yamaha continue to offer new models in their lines at different times, makes absolutely no sense when profits and brand preference are considered. Most will wait for a time, for a model from their chosen brand. If no new model surfaces, Denon is literally driving their customers to another brand. Profits would be questionable as people simply don't like paying full price for outdated technology, whether it would be sonically inferior or not.

Just a very poor decision on Denon's part.[​IMG]

4. Yogi

Yogi Well-Known Member

Is it just me or I may be missing something but doesnt the new 4802R have 24/96 DACs instead of 24/192 DACs on its lower end sibling, the 3803. So it seems that the 3803 has higher resolution DACs than the 4802R. Having said that I dont think it makes a difference and I personally have listened to 24/96 DACs that sound much superior to many 24/192 DACs. I think its the analog circuits following the DACs that determine the final sound quality rather than the DACs themselves. But for many here it would be turn off to buy a higher end model with lower resolution DACs.

Just an observation but as I said I could be missing something.

Regards,

5. John Sully

John Sully Well-Known Member

I was faced with this decision just recently (I blew up my 4802 -- don't ask how) and decided to spend $1000 less and got the 3803. This change just doesn't make any sense -- sounds like they couldn't get the money to do a total refresh of the 4802. Oh well.

--John

6. Raj Kumar

Raj Kumar Member

Hey john,
    How did you blow your 4802? (Seriously?) I bought 4802 couple of weeks back and would sure like to know the Dont's.

Btw, I have seen a lot of 3803 / 4802 comparison nowadats with the same story of high resolution DAC's etc.. But when I auditioned it , I found the 4802 to much better quality IMO.

Thanks
    Raj

7. Yogi

Yogi Well-Known Member

8. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Well-Known Member

I think this "updated"(?not) 4802 is probably a mistake but Denon is having many production /design problems of late , so this comes as no surprise....However, I would give up the FAULTY upconversion feature and the new bass mngmnt problems for the proven output and sonic advantages that the 48 series has over the 38 series.....But yes the price point, given the dacs, etc., seems to be out of whack....

9. Eric Lo

Eric Lo Active Member

10. Mike Up

Mike Up Well-Known Member

MatthewJ S,

Your posts are completely focused on trashing Denon receivers with nothing else to offer. If you offered help and technical support, that would be one thing, but the continuing degradation of the Denon name makes it clear what your intent in these threads is for.

You may have a name of Peccavi at AVS Forum. Peccavi at the AVS Forum is doing the same, trashing Denon in all related posts and surprisingly, is a YAMAHA SUPPORTER and dealer. Sounds very familiar.

The up-conversion problem was finally confirmed by Denon not to be a defect. The problem was inherent RF noise and ground loops that were within the installation. By using a corrective fix, Denon has made the 3803 less sensitive to these installation-induced troubles.

Jeff Talmadge
    Product Manager
    DENON Electronics (USA), Inc.
    statement.

I have called every Denon authorized dealer/service center in my area and absolutely "NONE" have had "1" 3803 in for any up-conversion problems. They are aware of the bulletin but have had no affected customers.

The bass management problems are "2" people and Eric’s may be cancellation issues as stated in his post! For that matter, the last two "NEW" Yamaha receivers I returned, RX-V596 and RX-V2300, were defective in the bass management circuits! The lack in QC shown by these 2 receivers is why I went with Denon after owning 3 previous Yamaha receivers.

It's really sickening how you've twisted topics into epidemic proportions.

I don't mind you having an opposite opinion but that's not the case. Your simply dramatizing rare situations for your purpose of trashing the brand that goes against your employer.

11. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Well-Known Member

Mike ,
    I carry Denon , sony es, Yamaha, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc.
    and can say that I have owned as many Denon products as Yamaha, and my problem with them has been what I perceive as a demonstrable drop-off in quality and reliability in the last 2 years...I actually have had great experiances with the 4802, and was trying to say ,in my last post,that it may be a better unit with respect to sound quality/ reliability...you may also notice that I have also given some kudos to the 5803, a unit which I have used in MANY of my better home theater designs....My reasons for commenting on the recent troubles with Denon are simple: I have been burned by many of their recent mid-line products in custom applications and I am angry that they seem (imho) to be getting better with the tangable and marketable "feature sets" but going lower-end on the reliability, build and sound quality.......I would like them to understand that dealers are aware of their problems and may be less inclined to reccommend them, in the hope that they get it together soon, before they become like some of the other brands that I carry but don't sell....I appreciate your loyalty to Denon ,your willingness to take your "anecdotal" experiances flavored with "Denon-Jeff" spin, and come out with an "everything is rosey with the 3803" attitude...You must understand that I don't agree and I see and hear about these problems from my customers as well as from all the other salespeople I know who are still behind these units...we all have a right to our opinions, and for what ti's worth ,I haven't noticed any real trouble with the 2803 yet......
    Relax it's a forum, we are all just injecting our two cents.
    As for the upconversion problemS, I suspect few owners or the 3803 have even hooked it up in such a way as to display the problem, and many of the ones that have don't beleive that they can get Authorized Denon service anyway. I can assure you that these problemS display themself to almost every plasma and dlp customer that I've had using the rcvrs in a custom install until my installers learned that they had to compensate by running more direct feeds to the displays...In my store we had to tell everyone to stop pitching video up-conversion as a feature of this unit...
    Thanks Mike Up-
    Yours Matt

12. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

Matt said:

13. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Brand bashing on an internet forum....
    surprise, surprise.....
    Anyway the 4802R is a mystery. It should be better in all respects than the 3803 and it should be the 4803.
    Not sure what Denon's thinking is here?
    Still the 5803 is a masterpiece and imho better than most separates, as is the Pioneer Elite 49TXi and the B&K 507.
    And the 3803 is a complete steal and imho the best pre/pro, when used as such, under $1K!

Regards,

geo

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Well-Known Member

While I agree with this receiver "refresh" being a mistake,I consider the Denon brand very reliable so far.
    I've owned the 3600,3300,3801 receivers,and currently a DVD-2900 uni. DVD player.