What's new

Denon 3808 Big dissapointment (1 Viewer)

Makdaddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Metcalf Sr
Well
After 1 year of building a theater room ect
I bought a 3808 6 months ago
I get some of it going on My Klipsck f82 HT after 6 months of HELL

I went to connnect my patio speakers to the B speaker option

well they dont provide a B speaker source
everything is fished to one location.

Am I missing something
My BAD for assuming that this would have that basic feature

this is not good!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While the 3808 does not have a B speaker connection you should be able to reassign one of the amplifiers. I know that the mid level receiver like the 3808 should power speakers down to 4 Ohms. In 2004 I was at CES I saw the Denon demo of a 3806 that powered 4 Ohm set of M&K speakers in a large room with out the use of an external amp. IMHO the Denon's sound very good and have great processing. And if you add an high end power amp it should be as good as a pre/pro.

Another thing you should be able to do is add a small power amp that is low cost to power your outdoor speakers. You could also pick up a used power amp and save even more as I do not think you would need anything over 60 watts per channel. I would check out your owners manual and see if you can reassign two amps to power your out door speakers. That is if they allready are not being used currently.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
If you are only using 5 channels in the main zone you can re-assign the remaining two channels to zone 2 or zone 3. IMO its no different than a "B" option. If you do have 7 channels in the main zone then you will need an amp for the second zone.

I could be way off but I get the impression the "B" speaker option has been replaced with multi-zone options on recievers today. Basically the same but now you can listen to two different things among the zones (and three different things if using the zone 3 option).

Makdaddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Metcalf Sr

Dave

Thanks

I Have plenty of old gear to run the patio
It was just the convenience of switching at one unit that I will miss.
All of my old Sony ES gear did that

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm a bit confused what is so awful about the Denon. It has a significantly more flexible version of the feature you want, and you give no indication of why it caused you "6 months of HELL".

It's a high quality, extremely flexible unit.

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
the denon does have multisource/multizone capabilities. I am definately not disappointed with the 3808- it rocks!

Makdaddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Metcalf Sr

Sorry tyhe 6 months of HELL was the build of the room and remodeling
I ended firing a contractor and it took over a year to complete
with that said.
I will look into the seperate Zone of the Patio speakers.
But I still will need a seperate amp. To me that defeats the purpose.

Makdaddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Metcalf Sr

Andrew
I built the system for 7 channel
I will look into the zone option

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

In that case I can see why the lack of a B speaker option would be a problem for you. Without that you would have to go in the settings and re-assign the 6th and 7th channel everytime you wanted to use the patio speakers, assuming you dont have another amp connected for multizone use. Not a big deal but not a one one button operation (unless you create a macro with a remote - if thats doable).

Even though there is no B speaker option it is nice to be able to listen to a different source in each zone at the same time.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I think you're right. My Onkyo SR-805 also lacks B speaker outputs, but does have multi zone capability. I for one, never use this feature. If I wanted sound in another room, I would sooner buy a cheap receiver for that room instead of running wire from another room.

John

John

brian5s

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Fives
Definitely user error! I have a Denon 3808 and have had it for a few years. I have 14 speakers hooked up to it, 3 zones all discrete channels and works beautifully! The ONLY disappointment came later on with the advent of all this 3D stuff and required bandwidth...HDMI 1.4! Which the 3808 does NOT support. But, there are plenty of ways around this...As a matter of fact, my wife is outside enjoying her iPod, while I am inside enjoying a DTS BluRay flick all from the 3808...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks