What's new

Denon 3805... Turn in 3803??? (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Ok,

Who here is tuning in there 3803's and going for the 3805's??

I have the 3803, and could use the extra Component video switch on the 3805, but i'm not sure of that alone is worth the expense.. Someone convince me to upgrade!!!! :D

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Steve:

I went from the 3801 to the 3802 and 3803 but I don't think I will be upgrading the 3805. The 3805 does look very tempting but with hdstb and dvdplyers now using dvi connections the additional component does not really interest me. I guess I'll be holding off for the 3807 since Denon has already announced that the 5805 will have dvi switching capability.

I hope I did not make you decision harder.;)

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
I went from 2800 to 3802 to 3803 (which I just sold) and probably will buy 3805. I just like to change gear often!

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I'm not switching either...

As Michael notes, no digital video connections, so still, IMO, missing a key connectivity thing.

As for auto level and eq setup, I have not read any in depth impressions of how well Denon's is working. But all of the other receiver based ones don't excite me at all. They only optimize for one seating position (which means, from a technical standpoint, it's not right for the upper frequencies for any other seating position) and I rarely read where they get it right even at the primary seating position. I've seen threads all over the web on what setting users should keep since they get different results each time they try the process. Or why is the sub level so low? (In many cases, they're advised to just turn the sub up (which destroys the "correct" balance the unit just set up.))

At this point in time, (unless the Denon is fundamentally different) this technology is "not ready for prime time". IMO...

Rob Grim

Stunt Coordinator
I just upgraded from a Sony STR-DA4ES receiver and a Sony DVP-NC685v DVD/SACD player to the Denon AVR-3805 and the Denon DVD-2900. As far as DVI switching, my television does not have a DVI input so thats no real concern for me. I went with the Denon gear due to the fact of all the rave reviews I've read on the 2900. I also liked the convience of having the third component in due to the fact I'm running three component peices (Satellite, DVD, & PS-2). As far as the auto level and room eq goes, not quit sure I'm set on that yet. I like the fact that I can fine tune my rig manually. I've been tempted to order the mic but just not sure yet. I may go ahead and set it up manually and somewhere down the road order the mic just to see if it makes a difference. Kinda waiting to hear if its worth the $65 purchase. All else fails I'll order it from Crutchfield and if I don't care for the results I have 30 days to return it.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
That won't take much :) For a while there you and Trevor Schell were upgrading faster than I could count.

Meanwhile I'm finally catching up!

From what I can tell the Denon is a top shelf component and the missing DVI switching isn't as a big deal as people make it out to be. I'm guessing here but I doubt Denon will include DVI switching in the 3805 or the 3807(assuming that's next years release), for atleast 2 years at a minimum.

Anyway, the auto room eq I'm not 1000% sold on just yet but the 3 component ins(100mhz each) are tempting along with PLIIX. The only reason I'm waffling on the Denon is the other receivers will have this kind of stuff in the next few months too. Soon it won't be new or even the top dog I don't think. The upgradability of the Rotel make it better TO ME but you need an external amp to make it go 7.1 so its not ex actly in the same price bracket(though it lists for 1299).

Given that you have seperate amps I'd look at the Rotel for giggles and find out of that is what you want(it also has 3 component ins etc), but only lacks 1 feature of the Denon which is the auto room eq and again I'm not 1000% sold on it.

However if you are able to get a really good deal on the Denon be sure to let me know :D Finding a Rotel at a discount to shoehorn it in my budget is kind of tough =/

BenK

Stunt Coordinator

Ok, this struck me as odd so I feel the need to respond.

The auto setup and eq is going to of course optimize for one seating position because the primary listener tends to sit in one spot. Plus you cant optimize every seat in the room. Theaters arent even like that. Off center sound isnt going to be the same or better than on center. Thats why they call it the "sweet spot". Not sweet spots.

I have a Pioneer Elite 53TX and the MCACC was one of the main reasons I got it. All I read was good things about it and Yamaha's YPAO auto setup which sounds like its just as good if not better. I have rerun the auto setup with the mic in the same spot and its always right around the same numbers. Its not perfect of course but what really is.

The reason the sub is set lower than most people prefer is because the mic is less sensitive at lower frequencies. Same thing as the Radio Shack spl meter. The "correct" balance is whatever sounds good to the user.

So to me even if Denons auto setup is on par with the Pioneer or Yamaha it'll be an excellent receiver in addition to its other abilities. I hope to get one soon to compare it against the Pioneer.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ive gone from 4800 to 3801 to 3802 to 3803, and yes, Ive already got my 3805 on the way!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Oh yes... DVI.... Future video connection.... I will make due with what I have, and wait for this new digital video....

Jesse Engels

Auditioning
I just upgraded my 3803 to a 3805 today, and what a difference! It’s great. You can really tell it has the extra power the 3803 was missing.

Anybody think 6th ave will have the 3805 sub for the 3803 like they did for the 3802? That's when I bought my 3803 for only $649.

Jigesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
I too got a great deal on 3802 from 6ave two years ago. Now they no more talk about prices over the phone..Let's know their price (may be, PM) if someone buys 3805 from them..Thank you.

Yogi

Screenwriter

I thought the 3801 and the 3802 (around 90Wx5) performed better on real bench tests in terms of power compared to the 3803 and the 3805 (50Wx5). Seems like Denon is getting weaker in terms of power as the new models come by. Also I am finding that Denon is losing its hallmark warm sound as its upgrading models. The 3803 to my ears was more forward sounding (AKA bright, detailed..etc) than the 3802 which was neutral to warm. The 3801 had the best sound for my ears; smooth and warm (AKA dull, boring, lifeless :D) with midrange bloom just like the famous (or infamous) 3300 that it replaced. Will stop by the dealers on of these days to audition the 3805.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It would be great to have dvi switching and I hope something comes out soon. But another thing is how many products would have dvi outputs? I hope the Denon 5805 comes out in the near future but I might just go with the 3805 for now. Especially since my current Yamaha RX-V995 has no component video and none of the nice features the newer Denon, Pioneer Elite or Yamaha's have. For myself the Denon 3805 has all the features minus dvi that I could need. The demo at CES this year was very impressive. I am totally sold on the 3805 and unless my income inproves or I come into some cash a flagship reciever is out of the question for now. I would rather have a pre/pro but non of them seem to have the features and the flexibility of the recievers do. I would highly recomend the 3805 unless dvi is really important to you and you would prefere to wait alittle longer.

Mark All

Second Unit

Jesse, can you elaborate on this please? I have read that Denon put a newer and better block capacitor in the 3805 but I thought the rest of the power supply was the same as before. Going from 110 watts in the 3803 to 120 watts in the 3805 doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference from the power perspective.

I have a 3803 and will be keeping mine in my home theater because I don't see enough new in the 3805 to replace it. What does everyone think of the new remote design? I'm not entirely sure what to think of the remote yet, but it did seem a little cheap when I checked a 3805 out recently.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Denons new 5805 will have HDMI I believe. An yes I sold off the 3803s I got from 6th Ave and will be replacing them with 3805s. I have too many things with component outs these days, DVD, Replay TV, & cable box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks