What's new

Denon 3805 - Tone control - Not Enough Bass (1 Viewer)

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gordon
I just recently replaced my Yamaha RXV-995 with a Denon 3805. I have gone through all the setup procedures. When listening to music there seems to be a lack of bass. I have adjusted the bass level to +6 and it gets somewhat better but not near the bass output that my Yamaha was putting out. I have Klipsch KLF-20 speakers up front and 12" B&W Subwoofer. I have set all speakers to large. My Yamaha had knobs for the bass and treble and a loudness button. The Denon seems to do this electronically. Does the Denon have a loudness setting that would equal the loudness button on my Yamaha ? or am I doing something wrong ?

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
1. Are your speakers in phase?
2. Not enough bass from the mains or the sub? If you're not getting enough bass from the sub, then it's the sub level control you should be adjusting, not the bass level control.
3. Note that the volume scales on your 995 and 3805 are very different, the Denon can be used at "00" all day long.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
If you want more bass, I would use the subwoofer to produce it... keep your main speakers set to small, operating with the tone controls near the center, and the loudness switch off. Do you mean you use to crank up the bass control on the Yamaha?

James Buhler

Stunt Coordinator
If you must have more bass, the 3805 has a built in digital eq that you can use to boost the bass. Check the owner's manual to see how to use.

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gordon
The reason I need to boost the Bass is because my HT is in a finished basement. The floor is carpeted but it is concrete underneath. After playing with the settings, I have it working pretty good now. I did some manual adjustments with the equalizer and adjusted the Subwoofer levels and things got much better. I used the Auto Levels & Auto Room EQ with the microphone but I did not particularly like the results. This receiver has many more settings than the Yamaha, and is going to take some getting used to.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Gordon, you might also want to change the phase on the sub. I had my 2802 set to LFE+Main with a little sub, and I actually LOST bass when the sub was on. Invert the phase, and the bass was back. Ideally, you could play some test tones and turn the phase knob on the sub amp up and down till you dial it in to where it sounds best. If you have no phase knob, try reversing the + and - wires (if possible).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks