What's new

Delphi XM MyFi (1 Viewer)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Can't wait for the next couple generations of the portable XM Radios (even Sirius' handhelds) and the price to come down.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
Mine is sitting at home waiting for me to come and open it.

Unfortunately, I won't be home until Christmas. Once I get a chance to play with it I'll report back.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Would buy one of these but....

A. They are too expensive

B. Future generation models will only add
features, nix bugs, and be offered at a lower price.

C. As stated, I would be a little concerned about
indoor reception knowing how bad satellite receiver
reception can be when away from a window.

Right now my new XM toy is the Polk XM Receiver

Would be very interested to hear how you guys like
your MyFi once you open it after Christmas.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
The Delphi XM MyFi is out. Unfortunately it's hard to get as most retailers I've talked to are selling out pretty quickly. I think the release date was 12/17.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Go Here

Put your email address in and be alerted when it arrives.

This store is run by Ziggy over at XM411.com. It is
located in Brooklyn so those of you in NJ will get the
package NEXT DAY when shipped.

Been ordering lots of stuff this past week from that
store (knit caps, shirts, SkyFi2, Polk receiver) at
various intervals and everything came FAST at prices
no higher than anywhere else.

FYI, the next MyFI shipment is scheduled for 12/29, check your alert email addy often that day, or simply visit the store site. If its orderable, you WILL get one.

Aldebaran

Auditioning
Im going to wait a little to buy one as I already have two XM units but I definately want one!

I worry though about thier reception.

SteveBro

Agent
I got a MyFi on Monday (my first satellite radio) and I love it. Several of my colleagues bought them as well, and it's all the rage in the office. Very nice to be able to take the radio wherever I go, and the fact that the MyFi comes with almost all of the accessories you would ever need is an added bonus. I don't know that I'll ever walk around with the unit, but to have it with me at home, in the car and at the office is really great.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
If I'm not mistaken, the MyFi has everything to allow you to move it between car stereos, home stereos, and use as a standalone Walkman, hence the whopping $350 pricetag? That means I don't have to buy ANY extra antennas for car or home, and no extra adapter kits for moving between different cars?

I'm guessing it connects to your car stereo and home stereo through some unused FM frequency rather than hardwiring...is there a significant sound degradation this way? I mean, I'm not looking for super-audiophile sound quality or anything, just good MP3 or better quality.

I'm interested in it because I use two different cars, one has a Pioneer aftermarket head unit which is XM-ready, the other has a factory AF/FM/CD/cassette unit; also I'd like to be able to plug it into my Marantz AV receiver and Dell laptop computer at home.

Regarding the MyFi's Tivo-ish recording ability, is it very tightly copy-protected so you can't rip the music into MP3?

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
eddie,

You're pretty much right on the money. The only thing I would say is that you may, depending on your needs, need an additional car kit for each car. However, there's nothing to stop you from taking the MyFi, the charger, and (if you want) the cassette adaptor from car to car.

The FM modulator is pretty good. I do find however that the cassette adaptor gives better sound (not CD quality by any means - but better than regular FM radio).

At this point, I don't thing there's any way to rip the recorded music off the MyFi - short of audio out to your computer and recording from that.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
> The only thing I would say is that you may, depending on your needs, need an additional car kit for each car.

That's only for if I want to hardwire it, right? Adding two additional car kits would drive the price even further into the stratosphere, esp. since the $350 is probably about what it'd cost to do a standard car kit and car antenna for both cars, plus a home kit and home antenna with a Roady console.

Man, they sure whack you on all the accessories don't they?

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator

Pretty much. I did find that reception using the supplied car antenna, mounted on the roof, was 100% better than either the personal antenna or the internal antenna. If you are going to switch between cars frequently, it may get annoying if the reception isn't up to par. You could of course shuffle the car antenna with you, but that also has it's downsides (long cable, placement, etc.)

aeveritt

Agent
Just a quick note to anyone considering purchasing one of these. The personal, wearable antenna is virtually worthless. The internal antenna picks up as good a signal as it does, IMO. If you happen to reside in an area where there is a terrestrial repeater you will likely get decent reception, even without an external antenna attached. I don't live where there is a repeater and, without the unit in the home or car cradle (attached to the good antennas), I can't get very good reception. I need to be outside or VERY close to a south-facing window.

Some people are taking the miniature patch antennas and modifying them with a shorter cord and an SSMB plug so they can use them in areas where the signals are weak. I plan to do this soon.

Other than this one big issue, the MyFi is an awesome gadget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks