What's new

Pacific Rim (2013) (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Vic Pardo said:
I actually liked TRANSFORMERS 1 & 3 and thought they were much better than PACIFIC RIM. Why? Because they had something PACIFIC RIM didn't have, but desperately needed: a sense of humor.
I have to respectfully disagree. I thought Pacific Rim had a HUGE sense of humor. The movie had a big goofy grin on its face the whole way through.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
dpippel said:
Oh, I agree with you completely Edwin. I *liked* Pacific Rim and also think that it was far, far better than any of the three Bay films. I think that the "Transformers rip-off" perception was partly inevitable (giant robots and lots of destruction) and partly poor marketing.
I agree. I enjoyed it more then any of the transformers movies. it had more heart to it.

Jacob

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Pacific Rim certainly had a sense of humor, but it wasn't better than the first or third Transformers films. :) I can barely remember the names of any of the characters from PR, and the plot was not much more than "how do we defeat the next most powerful monster?."

Speaking of senses of humor, did that Chinese general not notice that this film, directed by a Mexican, had more Chinese heroes (the triplets) than American heroes (the main guy and Charlie Day)?

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Bryan Tuck said:
I have to respectfully disagree. I thought Pacific Rim had a HUGE sense of humor. The movie had a big goofy grin on its face the whole way through.
I didn't laugh once during PACIFIC RIM. They threw in those two scientists for comic relief--the Willem Dafoe lookalike and the Rick Moranis lookalike--but they forgot to write any funny lines for them or create any funny situations.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don't remember laughing at all during Pacific Rim, which I believe was intentionally more serious than the Transformers films. And I also agree Transformers 1and 3 were better. And I believe those transformer films delivered what they intended..non stop absurd action with humor. Pacific Rim on the other hand didn't deliver what I believe it intended, which was an emotionally rich character driven epic action film. Unfortunately, for me, it came up short. Glad others liked it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Bryan Tuck said:
I'm with you on this one. Additionally, IMO most of the "humor" in the Transformers films was low-ball, forced, and decidedly not funny. I didn't find it particularly endearing. Ah well, different strokes for different folks. It's what makes the world go 'round. ;)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Vic Pardo said:
I didn't laugh once during PACIFIC RIM. They threw in those two scientists for comic relief--the Willem Dafoe lookalike and the Rick Moranis lookalike--but they forgot to write any funny lines for them or create any funny situations.
The two scientists were my least favorite part of PR. They were more annoying than funny.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
This is the movie Roland Emmerich's Godzilla and Michael Bay's The Transformers wanted to be. Rolled into one. The giant robots were GIANT! They had such terrible mass when they moved. I've been waiting for this movie my entire life.
Yes, I have to agree with this. I have honestly never seen such a great looking (giant) robots and (giant) monsters before. And they're fighting each other? OMG. :) This film was a dream come true.

But at the same time I do understand why not all people like it. There's no Megan Fox washing the car in the sun light, there are no "talking robots" with different personalities (or better yet - you "played" with these toy robots when you were a kid), there's not enough light humor, everything is destroyed, dark and murky and perhaps those action scenes were too "similar" after all (another monster is coming etc). And perhaps the whole movie was just moving too fast. Stuff like that.

Pacitic Rim has robots, "action" and huge CGI-effects, but at the end of the day it's very different from Transformers.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
For me, PR is a love letter to 40 yr old geeks (myself included) who grew up watching Japanese monster movies (return of king Kong, mechagodzilla) and English fantasy films (warlords of Atlantis, land that time forgot). There was even a great slo-mo shot of a monster punched in the belly and the ensuing ripple looked like a guy in a rubber suit. PR was made with passion, Transformers was crude, crass, and plot-wise an independence day rip off. not to mention Bays annoying style of constantly panning shots with cuts every 3 seconds. Its as bad ad Abrams lens flares.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Based on weekend estimates, Pacific Rim passed the $100M mark domestically this weekend. Just passed $400M worldwide, too.

Gipsy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Tim Glover said:
I have never seen Pacific Rim. Need to rent it...
you have to see it,my favorite movie of last year,cant wait for the sequel.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I would temper my expectations for Pacific Rim Tim. Many here liked it but many did not. I thought that while the effects were great as was the 3D, it was very uneven with mostly poor acting and a muddled storyline with more than a few dopey annoying characters. A missed opportunity. But it is a great 3D bluray. ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Saw it tonight on Cinemax. Definitely a shift your brain into kid mode kind of movie. You can't think too much watching it. The character moments fell short for me. The scientist characters were annoying and not funny. It does deliver on giant robot action, although I was bothered by the typical "well, the punches didn't work, now let's finish off the monster with the superweapon we could have used five minutes ago" nature of some of the fights.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I liked the film for what it was: a big robot-on-monster action film that at least tried to tell some kind of coherent storyline, unlike a certain other franchise-that-will-not-be-named. The biggest negative, for me, was the the two comic relief scientists. Most of their scenes were painful to watch.

Still, Gainax did this sort of thing a lot better with Neon Genesis Evangelion. Of course, that show was kind of incoherent in its over-arching storyline, but the characterizations were better done than anything in "PR". There were no moronic "comic relief" scientists in that show. It was unrelentingly downbeat.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
ok we watched it last night. Was pretty good. Rented on Redbox....

First let me get the tech stuff out of the way. If there is a more robust subwoofer workout movie than PR I don't know what it is. Cloverfield is close but For the LOVE of GOD this thing had my sofa felt like it was a raft. Wow. Double wow. Visually in 2D was tremendous too.

Movie. It was good. I did go into it with low expectations as the trailers last summer felt a little been there done that & that's one of the reasons I didn't see it at the theater. There were several dialogue cringing moments....forced acting and predictability. One moment I kept waiting for someone to say "you can be my wing man anytime" ;) Top Gun moment. :) But a movie like this isn't really trying to be Schindler's List. Still it had more heart than Transformers and some seriously cool effects. Although the 'baby' Kajuu looked terrible. I mean like terrible.

Agreed on the scientists. Way too much and needed to be toned down. Some of the dialogue and scenarios felt like Starship Troopers. This review is coming across more negative than I intend. :( I enjoyed it despite the above issues. I really did. Would have LOVED to have seen this in 3D.

Del Toro never met a monster he didn't like and some of these were cool. A little more tightening of the script...better acting...could've been a real gem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks