What's new

def. tech wiring recommendations (1 Viewer)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, i just purchased a def. tech system

BP7002 X 2
C/L/R 2500 X 1
BPX surrounds X 4

I was wondering about wiring for the front mains and the center. I was going to bi-wire the left/right mains and LFE them also. I was then just going to just bi-wire the center. Is this good?

What is the best bi-wire to buy? I'm not sure if i am competent enough to make my own(would probably rather just buy them) I like the monster m series bi-wire(but you would probably say that i am being ripped off?)

How should i wire the surrounds, i shouldn't need to bi-wire them, should i? Just standard monster xp(which i already have) would be good?

I will be buying a rotel-1067 for an amplifier i think.

Thanks a lot!
~Eric

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
That looks like a sweet set-up. If You're going to use the LFE for the BP7002's I don't see any reason to bi-wire. If the C/L/R is powered I probably wouldn't bi-wire either, and You're correct about the surrounds. I have the Def Tech BP 2002 and CLR 2002, none bi-wired.

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a Def Tech setup, and did alot of experimenting with expensive cables, bi-wiring, and the like. Don't bother, save your money. Quite frankly, I use regular 12 guage copper speaker wire. If you want something up the proverbial "food chain", have a look at bettercables.com

BP 2002
CLR 2500
BPX (4)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
my question was, yes i would not need the bi-wire for say when i was in a processing mode(but when i was in a standard stereo mode(it would not use the LFE input with that?)

To tell you the truth, it is about saving me 300 bucks to not bi-wire, and to just hook it up with the standard monster xp cables. But from what i read everyone is say to DEFINITELY bi-wire these. But you guys own them, so you should know. I have not actually gotten them yet, still owe only 400 bucks on the Sweetest sounding thing that i could think of, cannot wait!

Anyway, you guys seem to have similiar systems. Do you really like yours? I think that i will have one of the nicest sound systems in western pennsylvania...haha. If my girlfriend knew how much those cost, she would KILL me. I should paint some flowers on it for her.that would be so PRETTY. yeah right

Haha, i cannot even afford to buy the amplifier for like another month. This will hopefully something to cherish for a long time though, for i take nice care of my stuff

Thanks,
Eric

RussD

Agent
eric, i have owned def-tech speakers since '95 and currently have 7001's and clr3000 in front, bp8b's, studio monitor 350's and bp2x's in rear. i have never bi-wired and have been very happy with sound of system. i have to admit tho, i have enternained the idea.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
are the BP7002TL's musical enough for stereo? People keep saying that they are not the best for music, but really good for movies, is this true. I tend to wonder whether or not it is there amplifier or not. I would hope to think that these things are really good for music, not just movies?

Eric

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
Many people say that Def Techs are not musical due to the diffuse nature of their bi-polar design. While they may not image as well as the best direct radiators, they present a very wide soundstage and, in my opinion, are very musical nonetheless. Unless you are a most critical audiophile, I think you will be quite pleased.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I've never agreed with the opinion bipolars aren't good for music.I don't have a problem with those who prefer direct radiators, or any other type of speaker for that matter. I have owned my BP 2002's for about 5 years and have never regretted buying them. I love their huge soundstage and depth on music.I have heard speakers that image better, and if that's more appealing then fine, but that doesn't mean they sound better ,only different. If You're happy then that should be what matters.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
well to tell you the truth, i just drueled looking at the ads for them(and really they are the only speakers that i like. I would rather have the room filled than have multiple(images) so so speak. I would never be able to appreciate what the hell that is anyway. If this is my first system, this thing outta BLOW MY HAIR BACK. literally i think. I cannot get over the opinions of so many audiophiles and how aweasome that they say these speakers sounded(but on here is seems like a total opposite matter). And it makes me think that i made a wrong decision(insecure), because they were a TON of money. But i thought that they were just something that i could treasure having ten years from now. i'm REALLY excited! i'm sure that they will be just the most incredible thing when i listen to them for the fist time(at least that is what i thought before reading peoples opinions on here)

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my 2000's bi-wired since day one. I don't know if there's any difference or not. The manual said that bi-wiring was the best way to go. I bi-wired the center speaker also. I can't complain about the sound. I used Nordost speaker cables. I think I used the flatline model. Price wasn't too bad and they are descent cables. With Bi-polars though, placement is everything. You'll have to experiment with how far from the wall, sides, toeing in, etc.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
these new 7002's you cannot bi-wire at all. It is all one connection. The c/l/r however can be bi-wired

I think that these things sound fantastic! They only have about 20 hours on them. will they sound a lot better once broken in full(60 hours). It is truly hard to imagine anything better. However, the mids seem like they need to break in more(at least that is where i notice the need for more break in)

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Not very cheap either. Sometimes you can get them used at www.fatwyre.com though. I ordered them new, through this site. You can also order custom lengths if you buy new.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
what kind of amplification do you use for your def tech's. I just took back my NAD due to problems. I was thinking about the Rotel-1067. I have always drooled over it. Then i could add some more seperates to it later.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using 2 ATI amps. I have the #1502 2-channel amp driving the fronts and the #1505 - 5 channel amp driving the sides, rears, and center channels. I bought these amps before ATI made 7-channel amps. If I had to do it over again I'd go with the 7 channel and save some shelf space.I forgot to add that all channels are 150w. I wouldn't mind more watts but I don't want to put in a 20 amp circuit.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
hi, do you have any problems with 'hiss'? In the DSP modes? What kind of pre/pro do you use?

Well i can only really afford one thing at a time right now, for the speakers drained me a bit.

A dealer told me that no matter what i did i would have hiss coming from my def tech's due to the sensitivity of them. I was having problems with it so i took it back(maybe he did not want me to do this.)

Is this true? I think that my amp just was a LEMON

-It popped between tracks
-Picked up local radio stations in the BPX surrounds?
-had a very apparent hiss that was the same all through the volume range(in low volume, the hiss outweighed the receivers music sound)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
man, you have some nice stuff. Was looking at their website. The ATI's, they do not make your model anymore?

Gosh, when i swallow my ears feel smoother inside(the wax literally) due to listening to the def tech's. kinda funny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks