What's new

Deer Hunter: new transfer on HD? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
This review seems to indicate that a new transfer many be used for the HD version:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/deerhunter.html

Then again, maybe this guy just never saw the Legacy version and is just saying the transfer looks better than he expected.

Just for the record, which HD products so far were derived from transfers not available on DVD?

Britton

Screenwriter
Just watched this one today. The deer hunting scenes are absolutely GORGEOUS. Overall, a great transfer.

It's hard to believe I ever thought the non-anamorphic DVD (my second DVD ever purchased back when I got an board with the format in 1998) looked good.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Watched it last night. I have seen this film many times. Owned a P&S vhs from the early 90's, then a letterbox copy from the late 90's. Didn't buy the non-anamorphic DVD and held out for HD when the legacy version was released.

This HD-DVD is pretty incredible. I hesitate to say this, but it's almost like there are scenes here that look too "good", ie clear and sharp. Sometimes reconciling between the original intended look of a film with what is capable today with HD telecine transfers of good film elements and digital cleanup is difficult. Maybe this is the absolute, correct original intention. I dunno.

In any case it was a great viewing experience.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Can anyone comment on whether this is the 'Legacy' transfer?

I imagine it would be, but the DVD didn't get rave reviews (?).

Yes, I'm a bottom feeder...but reading HD reviews recently lead me to buy Grand Prix (1966) among others.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

If a special edition dvd was released in the last year or so with a new transfer, you can be 99% sure that master was used for the HD-DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks