What's new

Deep Discount Spring 2009 Sale? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Today I received 3 packages- the order I placed on 7/21, A backordered Peanuts 60's collection, and the BSG Bd set from DVD Planet.

The Preston Sturges set has a floater as well as what sound like little pieces of broken plastic, so that will be going back after all. I'm on the fence about re-ordering another copy. I just watched Easy Living the other night, and while I like a lot of aspects to Sturges work, the extended slapstick sequences that he forces into all his work leave me stone faced and a little annoyed. I may just end up netflixing those instead.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that is an absolutely, jaw dropping, amazing price. If I hadn't had store credit top use up, I would be doing cartwheels over only paying $165 for it.
Having the sale pushed back and them hewing to the price like they did was a perfect storm for anyone that wanted this.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
In fact, they've just dropped the price some more! It comes out as $151 now! (Which probably gives a clue about what its wholesale price is, imo).

Myself, I'll wait a couple years and get it for $99, but this $151 is the best price yet.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
unreal.

I didn't mind paying $20 more since I felt like I got it for a good price anyway...but $36 more kinda hurts .

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
The BD set dropped at some point?

It's up $6 to $225.89 now.

Ordered mine at street date for the 219.89 price plus discount code of course.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Grant H

The BD set dropped at some point?

It's up $6 to $225.89 now.

Ordered mine at street date for the 219.89 price plus discount code of course.
Still seems to be a good deal, especially with the discount. I saw it at Costco on Tuesday for $229.99.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I wonder if someone price matched it with Amazon's price and someone made them change it and jack it up to make up for the losses.

Used to be they would put price matches right on the website, but now they tend to do it on a customer-by-customer website AND they won't let you do it with a sale coupon.

I used to wait for the street date, send in the price match request, and then apply the coupon as soon as the new price appeared on the website. That's how I got the Die Hard Collection for cheap when it first hit Blu-ray.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sigh. . .I think every title I looked into (all Blu) is still cheaper to get via Amazon's regular price than via the DDD/ DVDPlanet sale.

Never thought I'd see the day. . .

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I saved about $12 on a 6 horror movies I got for viewing this October. Pretty happy.

And props to dd for replacing the item that USED TO BE in an open shipping box I received. I contacted the post office and they acted like it was an odd request to look for an item lost in the mail. WTF? Do they just keep the thing? Not even put items found on a database of some sort? The government is run by thieves!!!

But the point is dd replaced the item with a new one at no charge.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Sigh. . .I think every title I looked into (all Blu) is still cheaper to get via Amazon's regular price than via the DDD/ DVDPlanet sale.

Although I'm not into BR yet, I know what you mean. I don't mean to trash DD but I only order from them during their semi-annual sale. A few years ago, they were beating Amazon's prices consistantly but for most new releases and pre-orders, it's seemed to me that over the past 2 years, Amazon's pricing has been lower on average. There's some catalog releases that are lower at DD...that's where I can save with titles that have been available for a few years, but I buy mostly from Amazon. The other reason I go with Amazon is (imo) their return-for-exchange setup is better...automatic free shipping with their online printout label, and for me, it's always been a no-questions-asked return regardless of any 30-day time window.

I returned a DD movie back in March after asking for free shipping (via their PDF e-mail label) and they said that they never received the item. It's possible that it was lost or stolen in the mail but that's never happened for me with Amazon. DD wouldn't go the "honor system" route and send me a replcement, long-time customer record notwithstanding. Oh well, I didn't cuss out the CSR on the phone....it wasn't worth it.

Just curious, have you guys been receiving your orders from the sale in mainly envelopes or boxes? I guess, the larger the order, the more likely your orders will arrive in a box. I've noticed over the last couple of years, DD has gotten away from box shipping, at least for my orders. I've had to exchange a couple of broken/crushed items damaged in transit.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I was expecting any back ordered titles to come in the white envelope/ plastic tray both companies seem to be using now, but my peanuts collection came in a single box the other day. A couple other things have shown up in the envelope/tray though.

so far out of about 21 items, only one title seems to have come in damaged and with floaters- but it wasn't damaged in shipment. The box was intact as well as the other titles shipped with it. I've got 5 more coming, so that ratio could go up.

If pricing were equal I would almost certainly choose Amazon over DD for the amazing customer serivce I've experienced in the past. I've had many problems with Amazon orders, and they have always worked quickly and efficiently to rectify them. DD service has been just fine when I have had problems- but it pales a bit when compared to Amazon. They are the gold standard in my experience.

The big problem I have with Amazon now, and why I hardly ever use them anymore, is they charge sales tax here now. Usually their prices look good, but a 33% discount now becomes only a 25% one. Unless they run a big special sale price, DD during the sale is still the cheapest in town for me.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Not the case with me. I picked up Star Trek Original Series Season One BD for about $50 at DD, $66 at Amazon. Changeling BD was $18 at DD, $20 at Amazon. BD of The Good, the Bad & the Ugly was $16.99 at DD, $18.49 at Amazon. Plus I have to pay sales tax on Amazon purchases.

It looks to me as if Amazon may have slashed some BD prices to counter DD's sale, resulting in some bizarre pricing. Amazon is selling the BD of Werner Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World for $11.99, but the standard DVD is priced at $17.99.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

It looks to me as if Amazon may have slashed some BD prices to counter DD's sale, resulting in some bizarre pricing. Amazon is selling the BD of Werner Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World for $11.99, but the standard DVD is priced at $17.99.
I suspect that one's actually a match against J&R -- they seem to be doing that from time to time, particularly when J&R runs some kind of promo sale:

http://www.jr.com/product/movie/pv/_1194818V/

I bought it locally from J&R about a month ago when they first ran their promo sale that included that title for that price -- and like they often do, J&R has kept the sale price going for much longer than originally expected/announced although they've taken down the promo sale banner/page for it a couple weeks back. I was wondering when Amazon might match some of those prices, but looks like they finally did.

_Man_

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So does anyone know if they pricematch and do the coupon on the same order. I know that DDD does that bullshit "we'll pricematch, but you'll have to call us for it" nonsense, but I want to do the coupon on top of it. Amazon has the new season of Torchwood for about 10 bucks cheaper, and if they dont do the coupon, I'll probably do amazon since I come out ahead even after Amazon's tax and shipping costs.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Tony J Case

So does anyone know if they pricematch and do the coupon on the same order. I know that DDD does that bullshit "we'll pricematch, but you'll have to call us for it" nonsense, but I want to do the coupon on top of it. Amazon has the new season of Torchwood for about 10 bucks cheaper, and if they dont do the coupon, I'll probably do amazon since I come out ahead even after Amazon's tax and shipping costs.
The DDD price match program rules are spelled out on the website:

GUARANTEED LOWEST TOTAL PRICE

DeepDiscount.com guarantees offering the lowest total price on any individual, in stock, DVD, CD, Game and Book of any other online retailer of these items. If you find an individual item offered from any other online retailer at a lower total price than offered at DeepDiscount.com we will match the lower advertised price.

To receive the lowest total price guarantee, simply email the URL linking to the product information page showing the lower total price of an individual item (including shipping & handling charges) to [email protected] and we will match the price.
Please put PRICE MATCH in the subject line.

Due to fluctuations in exchange rates DeepDiscount.com will not price match Canadian etailers.

The lowest *total price guarantee applies only to like products sold at other qualified online retailers of DVDs, CDs, Video Games and Books during the same time period. DeepDiscount.com will not match competitors' coupons or price clubs. The guarantee does not apply to price mistakes, magazines, items sold at auction, trading or "swap" sites or those sold by individuals not qualifying as retailers. Online retailers that do not disclose contact information, including a mailing address and origin of shipments will not be price matched. Online retailers known to list or sell products from unauthorized sources will not be price matched.

The guarantee does not apply to items sold at offline retail locations. Product sent via an expedited shipping method or to international addresses (including Canada) is not covered as part of the lowest total price guarantee.

DeepDiscount.com will not apply a price match and a DeepDiscount.com coupon on the same order.

We reserve the right to limit quantities.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've not been able to get onto the DVD Planet website at all during this sale; just tried again and Cannot Find Server. I guess I'll try again in the middle of the night and see if it helps. DDD works fine for me, though.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer

I've not been able to get onto the DVD Planet website at all during this sale; just tried again and Cannot Find Server. I guess I'll try again in the middle of the night and see if it helps. DDD works fine for me, though.
Maybe your browser is blocking it for some reason? I just got on the site. Try this link:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/index.cfm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks