What's new

Deep Discount DVD (1 Viewer)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
As an update to my previous post concerning waiting for my pre-order of "Mighty Wind". It finally arrived on 9/29, a week after release date and almost two weeks after shipping.

I called DDD this past Saturday because I was concerned the package may have been lost. Apparently when they say "5-10 business days" for standard US Postal Service delivery they don't count Saturdays because "not everybody delivers mail on Saturday". (I'm not making this up, somebody actually said this; I'll let the post office know that DDD said they can stop their Saturday mail delivery.)

I will give DDD major kudos on one thing though. They dropped the price of this DVD by almost $3 after the release date. When I mentioned this to them, I received a credit on my account for the difference. The phone rep indicated that they don't usually do this, but she did so without readily and without me having to ask a second time.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
US Postal Service delivery they don't count Saturdays because "not everybody delivers mail on Saturday". (I'm not making this up, somebody actually said this; I'll let the post office know that DDD said they can stop their Saturday mail delivery.)
It's true. Saturday delivery is up to each PO depending on the mail volume they handle. The USPS just recently shut down Saturday operations in several more POs around the country in an effort to save money, can't remember how many, but I think it was in the triple digits.

Chris

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm afraid DDDVD's reputation has taken a terrible hit for those of us in the UK at least. Since June of this year (when it appears they changed their shipping to Europe arrangements) there have been numerous reports of DVDs going missing; unfortunately that was when I ordered my copy of The Lonseome Dove Collection.

By the middle of August it was apparent something was very sadly wrong and a growing thread of woes over in the Suppliers Forum at thedvdforums.com showed that I was far from the only one. I contacted dddvd and they said they would reship, which they did on August 23 (they also refunded me, and then charged me again, incurring various penalties in currency fluctuations and bank charges, but I digress...)

Last week, I emailed DDDVD (a number of times) asking politely where on earth was my order and today received this reply:

"Unfortunately at this time we will not reship the item due to the postal problems in your area. We
will be glad to reship the item as soon as the problem is taken care of.
Again, thank you for writing DeepDiscountDVD.com. We appreciate your business."

My 'area' seems to encompass the whole of the UK! Now in four years of buying on-line, I have only ever had two orders go astray (from 100s), but never - never - has a reshipped item not reached me.

I've now told dddvd that, frankly, six months is a tad too long to wait for any order. I'm sorry for their postal problems, but I want a refund; and I won't be dealing with them again until they sort this mess out.

---
So many films, so little time...

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
DDD hasn't answered a mail I send a month ago either, asking them to delete my account because I was fed up with them.

My account is still active by the way...:rolleyes

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
: They say they use "Standard Shipping" for the free option. What do they use to ship to the rest of you? I don't like it when companies aren't specific. Media Mail (super-slow but cheap for them)? Parcel Post? First-Class? (I've asked them with no response just to see.)
The three levels they use are:
Media mail-free option
Priority mail
Overnight

Chris

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
My account is still active by the way...
I've also been trying for so long to get an account deleted and they've told me over five times that the account has been deleted but it's still there. They also mention something about being removed from the mailing list, which I am not on. I will keep bugging them until I can no longer log in.

Well, now it's not there but the e-mail address I used for that account is somehow still on their system because my new account can't be changed to that address! Weird.

Also, my Order Status is disorganized and inaccurate. It's as if someone has to manually organize things and can't keep up with everything. A "paper and pencil" organization system???

Jeff Briggs

Auditioning
I just wanted to add that I had several pre-orders with DeepDiscountDVD that were shipped as nine packages from October 6, 2004 to November 19, 2004. To date only 2 have arrived so where are the other 7. I have been updating the same email for several weeks & still haven't got a real answer.

The obvious question is have they gone bust? I ask this as the same sort of pattern emerged with DVD Express before they collapsed. Fortunately I never lost anything with DVD Express but I'm out $260 with DDD, not counting postage paid.

If anyone knows what's going on I'd love to hear

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
I ordered a bundle of Space: 1999 DVDs from DDD. Not only did I end up waiting nearly a month for them, but at least one DVD in each of the 2-DVD boxes had a radial scratch (incipient crack?) of some kind near the hub. I ordered the same discs from Amazon and did not find such scratches. Could be that A&E sends to DDD any product that doesn't pass inspection.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Could be that A&E sends to DDD any product that doesn't pass inspection.
I'm quite certain no DVD producers such as A&E deliberately send defective discs to any vendor. I've bought the complete sets of A&E's "The Prisoner" and "Monty Python's Flying Circus" from DDD, and there were no problem with any of the discs.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Since last week, all e-mails I sent to them aren't getting me the usual automatic e-mail confirmation. Has anyone e-mailed them without getting these auto confirmations and gotten a reply?
-

Jeff Briggs

Auditioning
Pleased to report that DDD finally came good with a refund for all the "missing" dvds. Unfortunately they advised that that are no longer able to post to Australia.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
It seems as if they stopped sending the automated e-mail reply but on their site it says they will respond before the end of the next business day (which is false, since they haven't responded to my recent e-mails over a span of several months).

Speaking from strictly a consumer POV (knowing that a business isn't required to do this), I am disappointed that they did not somehow notify me that the price for a preorder I placed had gone down by $3. It was by luck and chance that I caught the price reduction on my own. So I canceled my preorder and preordered it again. Again, I know that they are in no way required to notify me of price changes but it would be great customer service if they could somehow.
-

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
In your experiences, what is your average response time for a Price Match?

Years ago, they used to respond within 1-2 days of your e-mail but now it's taking much longer.

Waiting too long will mean the customer will go with the other company instead, plain and simple!

UPDATE: I guess they never answered because of the current 20% off sale!

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
They never answered.

But that's not the point of this post. I preordered Crime Story: Season 2 for $19.19 during their TV on DVD sale. I looked again today and it's now $19.17. I wonder how they price their items. They seem like gas prices. Up and down (thankfully never only up but not down).

Ooooh, I'd better cancel my order and reorder to save two cents since I gave mine here...

(okay, bad joke) :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks