What's new

Decision: Component video/audio cables or HDMI cables??? (1 Viewer)

lptudor

Grip
Real Name
'J.R.' Riddell
I'm trying to figure out whether to use a HDMI splitter to split a HDMI output signal and connect two televisions via HDMI (by using a HDMI splitter for my single HDMI output) or whether to use the HDMI output and the Component Video/Audio outputs to send the signals.

I want to ensure I get the best HD signal I can send to both TVs, so wondered if Component Video/Audio Coaxial RG-6 18AWG 75Ohm CL2 Rated Cable would do just as good a job as HDMI cables. Any advice??

If not, can someone explain whether HDMI splitters work well (and whether you need one with a built in amplifier)?

E

Eric Kahn

I have this same question, just ordered dishnetwork HD and the reciever only had one hdmi output but it also has a component output, I have to hd tv's to hook up so can I use the hdmi for one and the component output for the other one?

lptudor

Grip
Real Name
'J.R.' Riddell
Eric: Here's what I ended up doing.

I ran the HDMI output to my AV receiver and from there to a powered splitter that I bought at monoprice.com (100 bucks). Then I sent the HDMI signal to both TVs. I sent the "TV 2" signal to the second TV with a regular coax cable. So TV 2 gets the HD programming and SD programming (in case we want to watch something different on TV 2.

My understanding is that you could use any combination of the outputs from theTV 1 ouptut to send the HD signal to both TVs (so you wouldn't need a splitter if you didn't want. I went with the single HDMI cable through the receiver and then to the splitter route so that I could send both HD programming from the dish receiver (ViP722) and from my HD DVD player to both TVs. If that was your objective, you'll need to reassess. Otherwise it sounds like you're ok.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

With a TV tuner signal, there should be little to no difference between HDMI and component. HDMI becomes necessary when you factor in copy protected materials (such as in upscling SD DVD's), or when it is required for HD audio formats from HD DVD or BluRay. Since HD cable/satellite uses no copy protection for HD content, I wouldn't worry about using component.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks