What's new

deciding between Polk Audio LSi F/X Pair or Fxi5 (1 Viewer)

warren whit

Agent
i'm trying to decide what surround speakers i should get for my 7.1 set up, already decided on the top of line polk fronts and center. My question is, i have not heard the lsi f/x surrounds, only the fxi5's. But i'm buying my system and plan to keep it for a long time! Wondering if i'd notice a big difference in the two pairs? I am in need of one pair for rears, and one pair for side surrounds. Let me know your thoughts, whether it's worth it to spend the extra 400 per pair and get the lsi fx's over the fxi5's. Thanks guys, oh yeah, my amp is onkyo 100 x 7chan, and sub will be a svs PB12-Plus/2

Thanks!

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I'm assuming that you are buying Lsi's. If that's the case then get the matching LsiFX speakers. You'll appreciate the seamless soundstage by using timbre matched speakers.

I'd be more concerned with the receiver at this point. You need to determine whether or not your receiver is up to the task of handling a 4 ohm load. The Lsi speakers are incredible but they do perform a lot better when supplied with adequate power. Your receiver may end up going into the Protect mode if driven to hard. Adding a seperate amp that is rated to handle a 4 ohm load might be an option for you if your receiver has pre-outs for an amp.

Try visiting Club Polk, lots of good info regarding Polk speakers. Tell 'em I sent ya.;)

warren whit

Agent
Thanks, just signed up there! I'm looking at the lsi bookshelfs all around, and the lsi center channel. i know my amp puts out approx 200W at 4ohms (from the onkyo tech guy i talked to), so i guess my question is whether or not my amp would go into protection mode. I don't listen to it very loud, mainly movies, and some music but at lower levels. I am buying top line speakers now, and will work on new amplifier down the road when i move into a house, and out of my folks basement (when i'm done school lol ;)). Figured rather then upgrade speakers later, just buy great ones now.

Joey_V

Second Unit
If you go top of the line, you should GO top of the line. Stay with the LSiFX speakers as they are timbre matched with thes rest of your LSi speaks.

Say, which speakers are you getting for the rest of your system (or have already gotten)?

From a fellow LSi owner (9+7).... welcome to Polkiness! ;)

warren whit

Agent
i'm lookin all lsi bookshelf, lsi9's, lsic center channel, and two pairs of lsifx's for side and rear surround

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Whoa there big fella. Try a pair of 7's for the rear channels and keep the FX's on the sides. You'll like it and your wallet will like it!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I would be very suspect of that, sounds like a "rule of thumb" rating from someone who wants to tell you what they think you want to hear or just because he thinks its right, not because he KNOWS. Unless you have an SR90x, I would not expect an Onkyo to deliver anywhere near 200w @ 4 Ohms, unless it was in STEREO, which you can see on their website, the higher models are capable of. HOWEVER, with all channels driven, that will drop considrably.

If you intend to listen to it loud or you have a large room, I'd consider external amplification for at least the front 3. I have 4 ohm bookshelf speakers not unlike the LSi9s and I ended up going with monoblocks.

warren whit

Agent
i think i may get the speakers, and see how i like the set up, if i feel it's underpowered i'll look into monoblocks for the fronts like you suggested. Right now i'm around the $10k mark in my home theatre with the speaker purchase upcoming, so we shall see how that goes. Right now it's mainly for hometheatre use as i watch A LOT of movies. Thanks for all your help guys!

Joey_V

Second Unit
10k is a lot of moolah on ht. What else are you getting? The lsi dont cost more than 3grand total for your setup.

warren whit

Agent
well im in canada so factor in exchange rate
projector and screen 3k canadian
amp 1050 canadian
svs sub 2k canadian
speakers are the rest of the purchase, not sure what that'll run me yet.

warren whit

Agent
Well, got hooked up sweet! Got pair of lsi9's and two pairs of FX's for $600 per pair :) Just waitin on them to be shipped. Damn i'm excited hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks