What's new

DEATH RIDES A HORSE (1968) new Wild East DVD (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

Specialty label Wild East has issued a widescreen, anamorphic edition of the original theatrical version of this much-admired spaghetti western. I'm not sure if the release is official or unofficial. Wild East does license films, but releases public domain titles as well, and Death Rides a Horse proliferates in the public domain in the USA. The description on Wild East's website sounds as if this will be better quality than the low-grade public domain editions. But I would like to read some reviews and see screen captures before I risk spending my money.

The MGM region 2 U.K. DVD is an excellent, widescreen transfer that cuts some horse falls and violence, but is otherwise complete, I think. Of course, the PAL speed-up makes it play out in the wrong pitch. The voices are much too high and the gesture a hair too quick and jerky. So I hope for the best from Wild East.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Since Wild East is an official label I'd be very surprised if they released DRAH and didn't have the legal rights to do it. Not sure what your concern is about whether this is a public domain title. PD is simply a legal term and has no bearing on a releases image quality.

Anyway I pre-ordered this and received it the other day, haven't watched it yet. I'll come back and post my impressions after I do. I also own the Region 2 UK disc which I can reference against.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I look forward to your appraisal.

I gather you are generally pleased with Wild East's DVD's, then? Do you recommend them? I've never seen one of their DVD's but I'm on the verge of checking them out.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Are you sure that the UK-DVD is cut? It's the first time I hear off.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Richard--W

Isn't most of their stuff non anamorphic?

No. Most (if not all) of their current releases that are still in print are anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks