What's new

Death Metal/Black Metal. I don't get it? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The great thing about Obituary is their lyrics ;). I don't think I've been able to make out a single word. :)

/Mike

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I would recommend straying away from In Flames as they aren't remotely close to anything of what death metal is about. For black metal I'd recommend Immortal, because they are one of the best bands ever, not just in that genre. Get the album "Sons of Northern Darkness" and prepare to be amazed.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I would recommend straying away from In Flames as they aren't remotely close to anything of what death metal is about. For black metal I'd recommend Immortal, because they are one of the best bands ever, not just in that genre. Get the album "Sons of Northern Darkness" and prepare to be amazed.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

Actually it is a well known fact that Obituary's first release, Slowly We Rot, had no actual lyrics. John Tardy, the vocalist, was just growling along to the rythms. This chnaged on subsequent releases, but their first one is legendary.

If you want some awesome Black Metal, check out Negura Bunget (www.negurabunget.com) ... they are a Romanian band that has been getting amazimg buzz in the underground because of their latest release 'n crugu bradului ... just some amazing epic songwriting

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

Actually it is a well known fact that Obituary's first release, Slowly We Rot, had no actual lyrics. John Tardy, the vocalist, was just growling along to the rythms. This chnaged on subsequent releases, but their first one is legendary.

If you want some awesome Black Metal, check out Negura Bunget (www.negurabunget.com) ... they are a Romanian band that has been getting amazimg buzz in the underground because of their latest release 'n crugu bradului ... just some amazing epic songwriting

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
How about this lyric from Obituary.

Chopped in half
Feel the blood spill from your mouth

Brion

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
How about this lyric from Obituary.

Chopped in half
Feel the blood spill from your mouth

Brion

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

Ok ... lol .. laughing at that lyrical piece.

Let me rephrase that, there were some lyrics, but there were no actual compositions, so to speak. So you will find tidbits like the above qoute so to speak, but no actual songs per se ... don't know if this makes sense at all .. the way I am explaining it??!?!

And actually, the lyrics above come from CHOPPED IN HALF which was on their second release, CAUSE OF DEATH ... which had actual lyrics.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

Ok ... lol .. laughing at that lyrical piece.

Let me rephrase that, there were some lyrics, but there were no actual compositions, so to speak. So you will find tidbits like the above qoute so to speak, but no actual songs per se ... don't know if this makes sense at all .. the way I am explaining it??!?!

And actually, the lyrics above come from CHOPPED IN HALF which was on their second release, CAUSE OF DEATH ... which had actual lyrics.

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
Slayer is Death Metal??....

I've never heard them referred to as that...I thought they were more of the Old school thrash/speed sound like Metallica of the 80's...

I guess In Flames first few albums could be classifed as Melodic Death, but certainly not now..I dont think I would consider Arch Enemy death metal eiter...

but anyhow..

I'm not a huge fan of most of Death/Black metal because of the vocals mainly. I dont like the real low growling sounds of most death metal, save some CC, or something, and also if you consider Opeth death metal, then I dont mind them either..

Black metal I consider stuff like Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom etc etc.....and while I dig the music, once again just cant get into the vocal style for the most part...

I'm more of a fan of old school thrash/speed metal, 80's Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, etc etc...

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
Slayer is Death Metal??....

I've never heard them referred to as that...I thought they were more of the Old school thrash/speed sound like Metallica of the 80's...

I guess In Flames first few albums could be classifed as Melodic Death, but certainly not now..I dont think I would consider Arch Enemy death metal eiter...

but anyhow..

I'm not a huge fan of most of Death/Black metal because of the vocals mainly. I dont like the real low growling sounds of most death metal, save some CC, or something, and also if you consider Opeth death metal, then I dont mind them either..

Black metal I consider stuff like Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom etc etc.....and while I dig the music, once again just cant get into the vocal style for the most part...

I'm more of a fan of old school thrash/speed metal, 80's Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, etc etc...

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

Dimmu Borgir maybe a long time ago had some traces of Black Metal in them.

Children of Bodom was always a thrash band ... not even close to either of the other two genres.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

Dimmu Borgir maybe a long time ago had some traces of Black Metal in them.

Children of Bodom was always a thrash band ... not even close to either of the other two genres.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

I consider C of B to be more of an old-school thrash band, albeit dripping in keyboards and melodies (I've been listening to them a LOT lately). The tempo changes in "Needled 24/7" owe a lot more to Exodus than they do to so-called "black metal." I LOVE C of B.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Every self proclaimed metal fan should check out HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE ... a SF,CA band that is so freaking awesome.
Not a Death/Black Metal band by any means ... they mix a tremendous number of styles to create something truely original.

Check out pics, music and more from their show in Brooklyn, NY last night here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=159934

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Well on multiple recommendations, including here, I checked out some more newer "melodic death". First I checked out the latest Children Of Bodom. It's kind of silly, but I really dig it. It's very well executed and has a lot of attitude.

I've also got some In Flames , the latest studio record from Dark Tranquillity (Damage Done) and the last two Arch Enemy, but haven't listened to them yet. The clips sound promising.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

You just made my day; I'm LMAO.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you want to hear a little girl like voice listen to King Diamond.

I've hated death metal all my life but do love bands like KISS, AC/DC etc.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

That's exactly how I feel about them. Once that album sinks in, I HIGHLY recommend you pick up "Follow the Reaper." It's just like the most recent album, and there are some great keyboard passages throughout.

TedT

Second Unit
Yeah, the only death metal band I "get" is Entombed. Great band. All the rest just goes right over my head. Just don't understand it. COOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEESSSSSS SSS!

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
In response (my second) to the original statement, "Death/Black Metal. I don't get it.", I think that there isn't anything to get.

To generalize, the vocals at first seem distracting and weird. I'd imagine that this is the part that you don't get as initially, it just sounds like a bunch of noise/screaming/etc.

So you listen to the riffs, ignore the "vocals" and get into the rhythms. Once you get into the songs, you'll find that the vocals start to come around. You start to understand a few lines here and there. And then, click. It all pops into place. The vocals belong - they fit the genre. They go with the music. It just fits.

But having said all that, if metal isn't your thing at all, you'll never "get it". I'll never get hip hop for as long as I live, and that's okay. I get metal, though.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks