What's new

Dear Warner Bros. -- How About Antonioni's BLOW-UP? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A classic, and not even a foreign-language film. Why are you avoiding this release? If you don't give it to us, we'll never get it. But it goes way-y-y beyond this title. I can't help but feel you are abandoning the many thousands of classic film collectors who supported you for so many years. WAR OF THE WORLDS. PAPER MOON . AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS. VALLEY OF GWANGI & two other Harryhausen films. BAND WAGON. Astaire/Rogers films. Peckinpah films. What has happened to you people? You are ghosts of what you once were, but remain adamant that you will not license out your library. Does Wade Williams own a lot of stock in your company?

Please, for the many, many of us for whom streaming just doesn't cut it, RELEASE THESE MOVIES ON BLU-RAY!

Many thanks.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
We watched our old PAL DVD just the other day. A great movie. I demand Blu ray release! I want it, and I want it now..... otherwise I may be forced to buy your company.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
One thing I hard time finding out when watching the film, was which one of the two girls David Hemmings' character was photographing, was the future France-based British actress Jane Birkin. IMDB lists her as being "The Blonde". But actually, she has brown hair, not blonde hair.

Jane+Birkin+++Gillian+Hills+-+Blow+Up+(1966).jpg

Only one of them in this photo is Jane Birkin. The other one is Gillian Hills. Again, I can't decide which one is which.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Warner-- Do you even own these films??? THE GREAT RACE----RYANS DAUGHTER---LOCAL HERO----MICHAEL COLLINS----FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD----PENNIES FROM HEAVEN---GOODBYE GIRL---HEAVEN AND EARTH---ALICE DOESNT LIVE HERE ANYMORE---GOODBYE MR CHIPS--- Is anyone listening to us???

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Like to see Ryan's Daughter & Far From The Madding Crowd for sure and also McCabe and Mrs. Miller and Truffaut's Day For Night.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't seen Blow-Up since seeing it at the cinema in the 1960s when I thought as a young teen I was being awfully grown up venturing in to see it. I meant to record that TCM presentation a few weeks ago, but I forgot to set the DVR. I don't own it on DVD either, but I need to do something to watch it again after so many decades.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I saw BLOW UP with my father, somewhat accidentally. I was around 13 and wanted to see ALFIE with Michael Caine which was showing at the National theater in downtown Richmond, Va. When we got to the theater he took one look at the lobby cards (gee... remember those?) with several showing scenes with Caine in bed with various women and he said no. So we walked around the corner to the Loews and saw BLOW UP on their giant screen. Of course there was sex and nudity abounding in this one, not to mention all the artsy effects. And we stayed til the end... and all he said was "Well that was different." I grew up in a small southern town as did my father and neither of us knew that much about Antonioni. But I have to give him credit for hanging in there... and maybe even enjoying... this film. While there are many things I love about this film, it will always remind me of that night with my father.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Vahan_Nisanain said:
One thing I hard time finding out when watching the film, was which one of the two girls David Hemmings' character was photographing, was the future France-based British actress Jane Birkin. IMDB lists her as being "The Blonde". But actually, she has brown hair, not blonde hair.

Jane+Birkin+++Gillian+Hills+-+Blow+Up+(1966).jpg

Only one of them in this photo is Jane Birkin. The other one is Gillian Hills. Again, I can't decide which one is which.
I think you may be right. Regardless as what credits say the brown haired girl looks far more like Jane Birkin and she had a thinner face than Gillian Hills (both hairs could be wigs though). I've always loved Jane Birkin's perfectly enunciated upper-class English voice.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
A double-bill with Zabriskie Point would be nice! I saw Zabriskie just the once, at the Empire Leicester Square. I've seen Blow-Up many times and really like it, though the scene in which Hemmings plays some jazz to a nervily topless (or toplessly nervy) Vanessa Redgrave is quite the most embarrassing, cringiest scene in movie history.

Sarah Miles once told me how she watched the final tennis match sequence being filmed in Maryon Park and ask the great god Michelangelo what it all meant. "This scene is for ze critics,' he said.

Oh, and like many impressionable teenagers at the time I went straight out and bought a Rolls-Royce convertible.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Douglas R said:
I think you may be right. Regardless as what credits say the brown haired girl looks far more like Jane Birkin and she had a thinner face than Gillian Hills (both hairs could be wigs though). I've always loved Jane Birkin's perfectly enunciated upper-class English voice.
Jane Birkin is, in fact, the girl on the left (blonde hair).

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Warner Archive tweeted a photo from Blow-Up late last year. I thought they were going to release it. Who can say what WHV is going to do. They should really license some titles to Criterion.

mike siegel

Auditioning
Real Name
mike siegel
It is an absolute disgrace BLOW UP is not available on Blu-ray. Why do we have to beg for such a title? One of the finest films ever made, an influential piece of art still celebrated all over the world. Same with DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES (Polanski) or PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID. Sure it takes time to restore the back titles, but some rather crappy titles get the treatment and TRUE CLASSICS are left behind?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Another please from me. I think it was the first time I'd seen pubic hair at the cinema. I think our nanny censors (UK) only passed it because it was in a playful non sexual scene. It's a great movie that reflects the time it was made in, but don't take the (sort of) murder plot seriously, that's just something to hang the movie on. Every decade has movies that really should be out on Blu-ray, & Blow-Up is one of those movies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is one of those movies that everybody who wants to consider themselves literate about cinema needs to see. It helped bring down the Hays Code, is a masterpiece of ambiguity, and inspired great filmmakers like Coppola and De Palma.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks