What's new

Deadwood: Season Three (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I really like the season so far. Some times I wish the main characters weren't based on real people because it would be nice to see Hearst get his. What a slim ball. Considering how the family is now part of polite society it must be driving some of them nuts to see their patriarch portrayed as such a scumbag.

As for Phil's post that seems to be offending some people. Phil was simply referring to a character as the character is being referred to in the show. If Phil had used any other name many of us would not have recognized who he was referring to. On a personal note, this board has moderators; if the moderator's don't have a problem with the context of the post it is inappropriate for one member to ask another to edit out context because they don't like it.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Well I'll guess I'll say these few words and then I'll leave it alone. Yes we all know that it is the proper name for a character on the show but it does offend, perhaps if it was directed towards your race or religion then it might be easier for you to understand. Sure there are a lot of offensive words on Deadwod and I don't see them being tossed around lightly in this thread and I highly doubt that if there was an issue with an offensive word of the four letter variety then it would be handled with less "debate". I think too many people especially of my own race take great pleasure in justifying their use of such an inflammatory and offensive term. Its amazing to see just how much resistance there is to one single edit, I mean really was one asterisk to foster some goodwill that onerous.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Do you guys really think that the moderators read every post? It's pretty safe to assume that if it was brought to their attention that it would be removed. However no one tattled to the admins, they tried to amicably settle it between the members.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
Loved this weeks episode, looks like things are slowly building to boiling point (Dan and the Captain, Hearst and Al, Bullock and the livery deal etc)

Next week looks great too.

Loved the exchange between Dan and Al about how Al hurt his feelings, great stuff.

Does Hearst's second, the Captain, remind anyone of Oddjob from Goldfinger?

Second the interpretation of Alma and Leon, poor Alma

I disagree, when quoting characters or referring to a character who is commonly referred to as such, it is acceptable to use such language. So does Keith Uhlich. http://www.slantmagazine.com/tv/tv_review.asp?ID=28 Caution: slight spoilers contained in the link.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
To keep this on topic I think that the actual use of the word in last weeks episode was some of the finest uses of dialog that I've seen in a while, it resonated especially well being a person of color, that being said I could give a damn what Keith Uhlich has to say. Since when is he the arbiter of what I may or may not find offensive.. and I will say again for the record: people will make any excuse to use an offensive term whether they feel they are being offensive or not and further to the point I did not aski him to remove the word of even abbreviate it but simply put an asterisk in there or some thing so I can enjoy his post without cringing everytime I see the word. When did common courtesy become such a hassle? I guarantee you not one of you in this room not of color would make these same statements to my face without some sort of edit or apologies for language. Now truly this has gone too far afield and I would really like to have the moderators weigh in on this since apparently it is not enough for two of us in this thread to be offended.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think we'd all get the point if N General,N*gger General, N***** General,NG Fields or whatever was used.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

While I was watching The Big Lebowski yesterday that I would have sworn that the same actor played Liam, the bowling partner of Jesus Quintana. IMDB says that was a one time only role for James G. Hoosier, and not Allan Graf.

I often find myself confused by the events and dialogue while in the act of watching an episode for the first time, but I usually dismiss the confusion because I know that it will either be made clearer in a re-viewing or given further context in a future episode. I might try watching the show once with closed captioning on to see if that makes a difference. I still don't think I'll ever understand what Trixie is thinking even with a direct transcription. :D

Brad

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I finally got around to watching the episode tonight with a friend and was blown away. What an excellent episode. Al revealing more of his past to Dolly, which gives us insight as to how he is handling the whole Hearst situation.

I will say that there was a very tense moment in my apartment as Steve the Drunk was verbally abusing Hostetler...my friend, who was an ex girl friend, is African-American and she was very upset and had to leave the room when Steve abused Hostetler to the point of him speaking out...and getting put down for doing so...

I do not have a problem with someone posting the name of the character, but I post and verbally use "The General Fields" before using any other form.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Well the thing is Ive heard that word used more in Dave Chappelle standups. So the context makes all the difference in the way its used(Steves rant at Hostletler last episode was just sad and ugly).But the time period has to be kept in mind where people who like Jane or Charlie Utter for example, who do like Fields still use the word. Its just the way it was.

It looks like that storyline is coming to a end and Im glad because right now Steves ranting is beginning to wear thin. Whenever he acts like a human being and you begin to sympathize with him -he goes off on rants again. When other characters in the show run into misfortune they dont complain the way he does.

I chuckled during the scene when Bullock first mentioned to Steve about buying the Livery - because the change in Steve was so drastic. He went from foaming at the mouth one second to quiet and saying "Id be grateful" the next.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
As noted, I changed the offending word to "Sam Fields," though I do it in irony. I was re-watching last week's episode when Jane got the telegram from him and it was addressed to her from "Sam Fields" and she said, "Who the fuck is that?" Too funny. I agree with Brad's post above, though. Words that offend when the author of said word intended no offense is in the mind of the reader only. Had an author called someone a "cocksucker" on here that author should have the post deleted and his account suspended. But had said poster, like myself, merely used the word when quoting dialogue from a show where that word is used like some breath air, well, as I said before then don't read discussions about Deadwood. I think it is a good discussion and I think it is sad that the posters most offended by this had little to actually say about the character or storyline concerning the character. This is the problem about words getting in the way of discussion. I would rather hear a story like Justin's that gives frank feelings about how the show effects you, not the word. There is some serious mistreatment of black people, asian people, women, poor people, drug addicts, mentally ill people, disabled people (speaking of which, where is Jewel?) and if any poster falls into that group (one or more, honestly) they are going to be mightily offended by the show's frank depiction of how that treatment happened and words said about them.

But moving on...

Re-watching last week's episode I was more bothered by the re-shot scene with Hearst and Cy (obviously re-shot because of Hearst's nearly Santa Claus size beard). The scene had to be added later in the run because of some assumed deficiency of that show, I would assume. It seemed a useless scene because we already knew that Tolliver was now going to work for Hearst as the lying, underhanded bastard that he is so the scene was redundant from that point of view. It also was redundant in that he complained again how he really dislikes dealing with people and would rather be digging since we already heard this with Aunt Lou earlier in the episode. He also basically re-states the nastiness he did that day by telling Cy that he nearly raped someone and wanted to kill someone else...by why state it? Didn't we just see that happen?? It did have one of the most potent lines of the show that basically encapsulates Hearst in one sentence, the one ending where he only likes folks he can "treat like dogs." But was it worth it for that scene? Especially since it seemed so out of place?? Just curious what others thought.

Also in re-watching, I was less clear in Alma's state with pregnancy. I am assuming she lost the baby as they were, I thought, performing a D&C but in watching the episode again it is never made clear and they keep talking about "the miracle." Was it merely a miracle that she survived? Or that she survived as well as the baby?

New favorite line: Al's to Langrishe about Alma: "She goes through her men like Sherman to the fucking sea." Brilliant.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"It seemed a useless scene because we already knew that Tolliver was now going to work for Hearst"

But it also points out what Mary said earlier about how Hearst views or tolerates people and contrasts the next scene with Aunt Lous perseption of Hearst. This dialogue went over my head the first time (as I was really tired and interrupted a few times). Watching the episode you might think Hearst had genuine caring for Aunt Lou, in that scene Hearst makes it clear thats not the case.

Yea that line about Alma made me smile to.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
She may battle through them to the sea, - but she sure seems to be responding post-manipulation; all initiated by their first strike. Missed any ‘miracle’ talk...that would be great, but if not, currently my read is:
That what is terribly sad about Alma is the fact she violently resisted being drugged while Doc assured her she would be fine. What Cochran did not account for was the deep currents of her emotional state.
She lost the baby she desperately wanted, and with it the justification for her current marriage of convenience.
Her first marriage was arraigned when her less than loving father sold her to highest bidder.
She daily sees the man she does love and has to remain circumspect in every casual conversation with him.

So far men have not been much of an asset for Alma, but a long string of huge disappointments and collection of both large and small betrayals. She seems to retain her compassion and doggedly attempts to perseveres regardless. I think thus her attraction for Trixie, they are both survivors. I expect some fireworks between Trixie and herself as she faces this next battle in her life.

Ellsworth is a sweet and good man, if a bit clueless regarding handling of grown women...he is a gentle bear with the child. Alma knows his 'heart'...this adds to the burden she bears, she wants to ‘do right’ by him as a return for the favor he did her...but she (at this time) has barely any control of her seething emotions.

Jane’s “I’ll doff my hat to you” in admiration, -if you can pull this one off to Bullock was a wonderful moment.
There are so many ‘moments’ in Deadwood.
Bullock’s hard burn, going to slow look of relief (to have any plan), when Star behind him, suggests setting a moment up to keep them separate but signing at one meeting; was comic.

Moments which wrenched me the most:
The conversation between Bullock and Hosteiler when Hosteiler wants to plumb Bullocks intents, during their stiff but touching exchange.
Maddies care of Jane..two lost souls.
B. Cox’s treatment of Maddie, Slow, careful and gentle, After a first meeting, and inquiry to Al, he interacts brilliantly and with respect for her bruised heart and mind.
I read during their conversation at ‘supper’ the hint of a very intense friendship germinating.

Maddie desperately needs a man like Cox, a worldly businessman who doesn’t screw you just for the sake of.... (as I read him so far) She needs a reason to go on living. I sincerely hope Cox recruits her as an actress for his new playhouse.

Honestly: - Jon your, its ‘flying by’ comment is so true for me. As each episode concludes I feel increasing outrage over HBO’s desertion of such a creation.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One quick comment about the General. I wrote to Franklyn Ajaye for an autograph. Actually, got it back in less than 2 weeks. If anyone wants to know how to use his characters name? Just go by what Mr.Ajaye wrote.

:emoji_thumbsup: For being a cool guy and responding!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea it sucks to see a show, and even more so, characters you actually care about not given a proper resolution.

BTW, Who else is wondering if after the sale papers are signed,Hostetler will make a comment to Bullock what Steve did to his horse before jetting from the town:)

Daniel DeLawter

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand how some people can watch and enjoy this show, then complain about a reference to the proper name of a character on this board discussion.

There are *far* more racist applications of that word in the dialogue, every show. Perhaps a frank recreation of the crass and ignorant societal discrimination in the Old West is not your cup of tea to begin with.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My problem was not the word or its use on the show or someone using it to refer to the character. It was that when one member asked another member to remove something that he found offensive, they refused. No matter how it's used in the show, it's an offensive word to some people and having some consideration for that shouldn't have been a problem.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Hostetler:"He was in here, fucking a horse"

Steve: "I did not fuck that horse! I just jerked off on its leg" :)

And to lighten the mood, heres cap I found of a moment a few of us found so amusing the other week......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks