What's new

Deadwood: Season Three (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
What a great episode. At the beginning of the show I always look at the ratings to see how much I'll like the episode. For this one we saw AC, AL, and BN. No GV, how could this be good without GV? Not one bit of violence and the show was just as great, the dialogue was fantastic.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Another great episode. It looks like Doc Cochran is gonna be incapicitated or dying off.

Gerald MacRaney continues to be amazing on this show. The majority of the episode focused on Hearst and he carried the entire thing.

I liked Wu's new suit but my favorite bit was Richardson's smile and thumbs up when he and Farnum kept their jobs. :)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Was that scene at the end with Hearst and Tolliver a re-shoot? Looks like Hearst had his longer beard and they tried to use lighting and head positioning to hide it. Hmmm...

Overall, a smashing episode. I love that Al (and Dan, for that matter) is asking the same questions as we are, namely, "Why in God's name hasn't he cut that cocksucker's throat?" Is this a "new" Al or merely Al when he is REALLY frightened of someone. Hearst is one frightening dude, especially when played by a guy I generally see as a soft-spoken and genial actor. Nicely cast. And just like Al, they don't "soften" him but give us a moment to see that maybe, just maybe, this ruthless lifestyle isn't his favorite thing to do.

Aunt Lou was a fantastic addition to the show. I love that she took Richardson under her wing and treats him so much better than E.B. Richardson always fascinated me in his apparent simple minded pursuit of life. I like that so far, of many of the characters, he is starting to find some happiness. Even if it is at the hands of the leading servant of the most ruthless bastard in Deadwood.

Brian Cox is a welcome addition as well and I hope he lasts the season, though I am betting he is short lived. As a favorite character actor it is nice to see him but it is more cool to see a bit more of Al's past, if only through people that knew him coming back to him. I think Al's line about amateur night followed by Johnny's comment was probably the funniest moment of the night. Count me in as liking Richardson's thumbs up, too.

As to freak outs, Hearst's moments with Tolliver and Alma were dead on spooky. He ain't right in the head.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'll have to do some research on Hearst, but it seems they've moved him more into the Psychopathic realm. It was always assumed he would stoop to less than honest means to get the "Color", like he did when he spread the rumors last season of the claims being at odds. But he was quite upset at Wolcott as he dallies would compromise his buisness ventures. I sensed from him that he was a shrewd and deliberate buisnessman, but would have others carry out the Dirty ork, and as long as he did not know about it, he would'nt worry about it. But now they seem to have really made him a nutcase.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I took Henry's 'speech' last night to mean he was always cut from the same cloth as Wolcott, just was capable of exercising higher levels of self-control.

Loved Trixie's "thats more like it" line.

Any other HTF ludites find the explanation of "high voice" Low voice hilarious when the Telepgraph operator, explained his new upgrade?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"But now they seem to have really made him a nutcase"

Hes a different person depending on who hes dealing with. With Walcott he was pleasant, grateful and articulate, until he found out what Walcott had done. I was amazed at the way he treated Aunt Lou. Comes out to welcome her, hugs her in front of the camp and even eats with her in private, not caring what others think (she may also be a way to hurt Hearst now as well)

Dealing with Seth hes carefully dangerous and with Al and Alma hes pretty much unhinged.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
yes, but didn't you notice Aunt Lou’s street-savy while playing (what looked like mahjong) regarding what she really thinks of Hearst's motivation and treatment of people?

Hearst’s line...which I can’t repeat (like finger-nails on a chalkboard) about who he likes to spend his spare time dealing with (and why) ....(dogs tails and such)

Shows he is not truly beholden or sentimental or even appreciative (in any normal sense of the word appreciative) regarding the obvious excellent care Aunt Lou has devoted to him over long years....
His quasi affectionate banter towards her doesn’t humanize him at all, in the run-of-mill sense of how humans determine our close family connections. His disregard for what those in the camp think of his installation of her in Deadwood, is just another version of flaunting his own self-perceived kingship and deadly-force backed clout, providing for his own satisfaction and conveniences.
He’s a monster and I think, Aunt Lou knows it and walks the line accordingly...but I'm quessing by what has been hinted about her during this debut, -she’s a very smart cookie..(or else how could she have survived close quarters with such a dangerous personage?) who manages to acomplish at least 'some' of her own quiet version of manipulation...right back at him.

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
Aunt Lou is going to play a major part in Hearst's downfall, I think. See the looks Wu was giving her? he'll be sure to report these happenings to Swegin.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I don't know that Hearst will experience any sort of downfall at all...

Since history has him buying the mine.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Hearst’s line...which I can’t repeat (like finger-nails on a chalkboard) about who he likes to spend his spare time dealing with (and why) ....(dogs tails and such)"

If that was during his conversation with Alma, I missed some dialgue there because I was being spoken to -despite me asking to be left alone for the hour Deadwood is on.

Ill have to catch the rerun tonight.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
really Hearst's "line" was combining several things he said to various people, during the (30 mins of Deadwood ;) )
...those along the line of "only two kinds" he can stand to spend time/do business with, et all.

Re: the spoiler,
historicaly that isn't the name of Alma's holdings is it? or does she even have a 'name' for her claim (can't remember)? There are mutiple holdings in the area, and I don't recall any being called isn't it "homestead?" ...yet.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Great episode, and who would of thought there was going to be a character worse than Al, then worse than Sy, now Hearst is a mean muther fuker.

I love Aunt Lou, when she was gambling with the Chinese and talking sht about Hearst was great.

I love every moment Al and Wu spend together, Al is just so damn funny. "Hello, hello, hello, hello, how many Wu?"

What happened to Sy? I thought it was all an act last episode but he seems to of gone off the deep end. Will Sy just bend to Hearst's will? Doesn't sound like the Sy we have known.

Never have had a doubt that each epsiode will be great, just wondered how great they will be.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Yeah, what is up with Tolliver? Is he playing a deeper game with the whole "Bible-thumping" routine? I loved that even Hearst was getting fed up with Tolliver's ramblings. His quick counter to Tolliver's blackmail attempt made Cy even dip deeper. Will their joint hatred of Hearst bring Tolliver and Sweargen together in ways that they hadn't been since late in Season one when they put together the formal offices for town leadership? I kind of miss their relationship that was built on necessity (this was when Tolliver, like Al, bought into the idea of making the camp #1 priority...which is has since not been so important to Tolliver).

James St

Supporting Actor
Loving the season so far. For those who missed any of it, HBO is going to be showing the first three episodes again this Friday starting at 8PM.

I thought that was the most hilarious explanation of duplexing I've ever witnessed. My wife had an even more hilarious look on her face as to why I was laughing at it. I just looked at her and said "19th century geek stuff."

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I think Hurst should watch out for Tolliver. Tolliver's the type that will smile and nod agreeing to what you just said while twisting the knife he just stuck in your gut.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Not only Tolliver. If Al wanted to bring someone in to get rid of Hearst, that assassin would probably walk and talk just like Brian Cox's character... :D

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Oh Husrst needs to watch it from all sides, just think that it's curious that he chose to keep Toliver close. Keep your enemies close, perhaps.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah it seems alot of characters are changing this season into Whackjobs. Add Hurst, Tolliver, Joanie

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

I would say they have good reason, though. Joannie's is obvious after what she witnessed (and survived) last year. Tolliver, same thing, after getting gutted (literally by one guy and figuratively by another). Hearst, he I am not sure about. I think this is the "real" him.

Anyone have a good timeline for where they are since last season? I am wondering because Mrs. Bullock continues to wear black in mourning. How long was this done back then? Just until the grieving person feels "better" or was there a typical amount of time? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks