What's new

Deadwood: Season Three (1 Viewer)

LewB

Screenwriter
And that her current husband (Ellsworth) was the only witness who could say for certain that her 1st husband was 'done for' by Dan.

mylan

Screenwriter

I get a chuckle every time Jewel is on screen. Despite her physical condition, she seems to enjoy what she does, will not take any s**t from Al, and I think, despite his gruffness, Al cares for her in his own special way. I liked the way she beamed when Trixie told her that Alma ate everything that she had brought her for breakfast.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I also love how minor characters like Jewel and Richardson are given room to breath a bit. I especially enjoy how they are given their chance for humor, pathos and are not just relegated to window dressing.

I always love when Jewel is on the screen. In this past episode, I would say for the first time we get to see Jewel in a different light.

I swear...who does Richardson deride ? Everyone goes after him, poor bastard. haha. that guy is great.

I cannot stop walking around the house, driving my car, at work saying to myself: You hurted me. (in Richardson's tone)...

LOL!

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
What proves to me that Langrishe is more than what he portrays was the look on Al's face when he walked in the bar last episode. Al just smiled and relaxed a bit which, under the circumstances, was unusual. Also the fact that he basically laid out how he could have used his role as massage therapist to off Hearst (as predicted by some posters on this site earlier this summer).

I think the closest we will get to Ellsworth beard stroking was Sophia petting Seth's mustache. Very sweet scene between the two because, beyond being among those that saved her, he really didn't have much interaction with her. Very tender moment. I also agree that there won't be a flashback...never done, never will be.

Trixie's response was interesting. This was the old Trixie, the one from the first episode who had a knack for whipping out the pistol if a john treated her poorly (they seemed to imply that the dude in that episode wasn't the first by any stretch). I never saw her as especially close to Ellsworth in the last season or so but I forget that he was a frequent flyer at the Gem at beginning of the series. He was more of an Al man, though on his terms only vs. a Dan or Johnny. I assume her stripping was to distract Hearst from her face to make id'ing her tougher. It might work as I can't remember the look on her face, either. Letch that I am.

I have been passing on Season 2 DVD's to friends and watching them as I get them back. It was fun (in a creepy way) to watch Wolcott in action again and realize he was only half the monster that Hearst is. The assumption at the time was that Hearst was a tough businessman but if he knew of Wolcott's...indiscretions...then he would be shocked. We now know that to not be the case.

So will they be able to have any sort of resolution in one episode? Will it be more than an hour? Should we set the DVR a bit longer than normal? I agree, I don't think elections will happen. It is going to be a huge brawl with no final conclusion, is my guess. 4th season would have led us to the BIG finale for Deadwood (the historical finale, that is).

What are odds for the movies? I say sadly a bit low, from what the posts here indicate. They already struck the town sets so they can't even say "well, at least the sets are still built" but now building them goes back into the cost again. The delay in signing actors (who are going to be tough to get the longer they wait) isn't good, too. Crossing fingers that it happens.

Someone link Jim Beaver to HTF so we can chat with him directly about the show!!

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator

I'd say it had more to do with Hearst's men seeing the gun in her hand and trying to stop her before she got a chance to shoot Hearst than a possible ID.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I thought that too but then she lifted skirt as he opened the door when only he was around. Get him to look down while she aimed up. Too bad her aim was lousy.

Mary M S

Screenwriter

that bothered me. In the same manner as a man's wife screaming in a corner while he wrestles with an intruder for 5 minutes....(pick up the poker, a lamp...anything)

Trixie is old hat at the violence of men well known for her hot-head-ness. But goodness, - couldn’t she borrow a decent sized revolver off the back of a chair as she marches to Hearst!

A derringer was often notoriously ineffective in its time, and skirts then were ample enough to have hid a larger gun.

...still. Classic Trixie.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
*kinda posting in this thread with my eyes closed to avoid spoilers :D*

I am two to three eps away from finishing S2, I've been putting it off for some reason and now with S3 going on I feel like I am missing all the fun :frowning:. Of course I will get to it in the next couple of weeks, but nothing like watching a series unfold with HTFers :).

Bah, at least I won't have to wait a week between eps............

Sorry, just rambling.

--
H

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Amazing episode (just watched it). And as others have said, I'm gonna miss this show. This third season has been its best. Carnivale's cancellation was very tough for me to take, this is gonna be almost as bad. Why does HBO keep cutting shows short before their time? Was the cast and crew informed of this before they ended production on the season?

I have little faith that movies will actually be made... and if they are I think I heard don't expect them before 2008. Somehow, I think there will be a lot of cast members missing.

HBO is becoming a shadow of its former self. I guess I'll give Rome's final bow a chance as well as the final episodes of the Sopranos. Although, that's a show that has gone on for too long. After that, I think HBO and I will part ways.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Ric You and I are thinking alike, I'm sticking with HBO until after the Sopranos finishes and then it's adios, I'm sure they'll still have some outstanding series, but I'll be checking out future project via HBO Video , hopefully on HD-DVD

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Okay...I'm stupid...so can someone explain to me the Doc's sudden interest in Sophie's family's murder, and why he had to talk to Alma about it right at that moment? I must have missed something.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
" I never saw her as especially close to Ellsworth in the last season or so but I forget that he was a frequent flyer at the Gem at beginning of the series."

Ellsworth was also one of the first to the camp, so hes known Trixie awhile and dont forget it was Trixie idea and approached Ellsworth about marrying Alma.

I think opening her top was to distract and suprise everyone into getting upstairs and lifting her dress was to distract Hearst. First sight of a gun Hearst would have slammed the door, but it was only a second after Hearst looks down that you hear the gun go off.

"so can someone explain to me the Doc's sudden interest in Sophie's family's murder"

The Doc took her in when she was first brought back and even risked his life to save her. Remember when Dan came on orders from Al to take the kid out - The Doc stood there with a gun and wouldnt let Dan in. Dan had his own issues about killing a child so they came up with a way to trick Al - which was to say the kid was under Wild Bills protection.

Sophie said she wanted to see Ellsworth, which brought up the discussion of whether she had seen her own family dead.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Thanks JonZ...I guess that makes sense. I don't know...the scene just seemed a bit out of place to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks