What's new

Deadwood: Cancelled (?) (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Count me in that we are at least getting SOME ending. I am not one to hate shows from having a finale. I mostly just hate when they end but aren't given any closure (like "Firefly" before the movie came out...I would love more Firefly but feel good that there was closure to at least one of the major stories).

I am not totally writing off Milch's new show, either. Surfing..meh, couldn't care less. But they also added "noir" to it which automatically raises its potential! Add "noir" to anything and it can suddenly become cool. :D

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I don't think each episode of the first 3 seasons represents a single day.

Alma Garrett gets of the junk in a few days? No way.
Trixie and Saul get a relationship going in 10 days?
Bulluck becomes Sheriff in less than 2 weeks?
The Preacher gets sick and can't function in less than 10 days?
Charle Utter gets his freight company going in a few weeks?
That's just season 1.

While I can see a lot of the show being in a few days, some of the stuff just doesn't add up. I don't know, I'm just b!tching.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

That is the timeline. I argued once that they killed Wild Bill only after 4 or 5 days when the real Wild Bill was there for weeks.

If you rewatch the season, you will see where they toss in hints as to how many days certain people have been in camp. Season 1 took place in much less time than I originally thought.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah that whole "this frees me from one episode equals one day is truly bizarre" but happy there will be some closure.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I think there's a misunderstanding here. It's not that each episode takes place one day after the last, it's that each episode represents a single day, and those days are spread out over a longer period of time. The one exception to this rule is the two-parter which begins the second season, A Lie Agreed Upon. The first episode starts in the morning and ends in the evening, and the second episode picks up at the point the first ends and tells its story over the course of the night, ending at daybreak. I think that's the only reason it's considered a two-parter, rather than two distinct episodes.
Just to get academic for a second, this isn't an arbitrary rule that Milsch imposed, this dates back to Aristotle's Poetics. Aristotle posits that the best plays follow unities of Action, Time and Place. Unity of Time means that a play takes place over the course of one day. Action means that the play should describe one specific throughline, with few or no subplots (something to which Deadwood doesn't subscribe, although you could say that nothing that happens doesn't relate to the establishment and growth of the camp). Finally, a unity of Place means that all the action take place within a specific place. Deadwood only follows this one to a degree, since our point of view leaves the camp on a few occasions, such as when Bullock leaves the camp to persue McCall, although most of the action takes place within the camp.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They actually mention the timelines on one or two of the commentaries on the second season DVDs. More or less, they say they cheat the timeline. Each episode is a day but some events (like the ones that Jeremiah pointed out) would have to take more time but they just fudge it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"As much as Deadwood fans would flame me, I am disappointed in Milch for rolling over and taking this for his new pilot"

Me too. He should finish what he started. He can say 4 seasons all he wants but Deadwood was supposed to be 5 seasons, not 4! The series was ssupposed to end with the first big fire that hit the town
(the one that burnt down Bullock and Stars original hardware store)

"I will definitely not be watching "The Uninteresting Fish Out of Water Show", aka John From Cincinnati, just on principle"

Me neither. Ill continue to watch Entourage but Im not investing in any more shows.

And Im not haappy about the compromise either. How is 4 hours better than 6 to wrap everything going up on up?

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

I did get flamed on the official DEADWOOD forums...they worship Milch there and anything against Milch is met with a blade across the throat.

I will no longer watch HBO after season 3 until the final eps of THE SOPRANOS and ROME season 2 (probably the final season)...then I will see when the mini series of DEADWOOD airs and the PACIFIC WAR.

Milch obviously got bored with the series and I think he self sabotaged the series along with the HBO brass (rumors would not put this as the first time he got bored and wanted to move on).

Taking 4 movie eps that let you change your SELF IMPOSED schedule just seems stupid to me. He could have taken the 6 eps and done the same thing...breaking them up into 2 hour block arcs.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I had a feeling about the "wanting to move on" when I started hearing 4 seasons instead of 5.

If Milch wanted to move on, thats fine - why not find someone he trusted to take over. The creator taking a back seat doesnt have to mean quality going down the tubes,look at what Glenn Morgan and James Wong did for Millennium.

While its true Milch was very involved in the episodes,there were quite a few other talented people working on the show besides Milch....Ed Bianchi,Jody Worth, Elizabeth Sarnoff,Ted Mann,Steve Shill etc

CharlesD

Screenwriter
It certainly does sound as if Milch wanted to move on to this new show before Deadwood had completed its run, pushed by the HBO bean counters due to the cost of the show and the lack of product placement opportunities (see Sopranos, the).

I am sure I'm not he only Deadwood fan who will not be willing to give "The Show They Canceled Deadwood For" much of a chance. Fucking hoople head shitheels.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

I am with you there. I have very little interest for a "surf noir" show...especially one that contributed to the demise of one of TVs best shows ever.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Let me see if I get this right Justin and Charles: the creator of arguably three of the best TV series ever (Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and Deadwood) has so irritated you that you won’t ever watch another series he creates?

Nose, meet face.

CharlesD

Screenwriter

I'm not sure how you get "won't ever watch another series he creates" out of "...not be willing to give "The Show They Canceled Deadwood For" much of a chance." So no, you didn't get it right.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

Well, considering that am not a fan of any of his work other than DEADWOOD, I will say that a "surf noir" series does not interest me one bit.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
"Let me see if I get this right Justin and Charles: the creator of arguably three of the best TV series ever (Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and Deadwood) has so irritated you that you won’t ever watch another series he creates?" by Lew.

Lew, I just have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. (and I do respect what I have seen of your taste as revealed in the forum).

I never have become hooked many of the ‘mainstream’ offerings with the exception of “Lost.”
Always feel my tastes run to the minoirity and odds are high, if I adore it, popular viewership numbers will be low...(I seem to have somewhat esoteric preferences.) I do not watch Survivor/American Idol/ 24 / Sopranos and more.

Although....often time has proved that what I do like .... gathers an aftermarket and grassroots fan base..... “Donnie Darko” and still waiting for “Northfork” to garner/gain appreciation. Unfortunately, if many discover DEADWOOD later demanding it in reruns...well....it does not resolve and now the sets will be down, actors scattered to winds ....!

I never watched (beyond a couple of checkouts) HSB’s or NYPD Blue.
Milch gave me the ‘come hither’ only via DEADWOOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks