What's new

Deadwood: Cancelled (?) (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I only get HBO for the series and with Deadwood leaving, I will be cancelling. At least until Rome Season 2. It is only a $5 disconnect fee and nothing to add it (other than the cost of the subscription) so since it will be months until Rome, at the earliest, this is a good break. Actually, even if Deadwood wasn't cancelled it would still be nearly 2 years until the new season so no big deal. And I am like others, though I like "Big Love" it isn't enough to pay monthly for if there was nothing else on.

I don't see a lot of new shows coming down the pike on the network that intrested me. That new sitcom (done with live audience...can't remember the name) doesn't look very good. Then again, when Larry David's show first aired I thought it was stupid. Boy was I wrong. Then again, that series may not come back.

What ever happened to the Pacific theater version of "Band of Brothers" that I kept hearing about? Was that just fanboy wishful thinking or was there a real show being developed? Band of Brothers was pretty much the best thing created for the screen, TV or Theatrical. They get close some times but no series has hit that high water mark. Another similar series in that vein would keep me glued.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am sorry. I think that Milch should have taken the 6 episode offer. While not everything could have been concluded. I think he could have finished some storylines.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
As much as Deadwood fans would flame me, I am disappointed in Milch for rolling over and taking this for his new pilot. He did not want 6 eps, but he could have taken his new (and crappy sounding) surf drama to another network to put the squeeze on (sounds like it is right up Fox's alley).

His "oh well, I am sad too" attitude really bugs me.

He should have taken the 6 eps and asked for a delay in the season, possibly...who knows what would have happened in the time between now and production. It would have at least kept the actors under contract and the sets up.

6 eps ( which is plenty of time for an arc, IMO) with a revised story is better than an ending with everything hanging.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I will definitely not be watching "The Uninteresting Fish Out of Water Show", aka John From Cincinnati, just on principle.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Possibly a small amount of hope here.

"ROW ROW ROW your boat." ........everybody sing dammit! [Jane says]

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Let's Hope the ratings might have a positive impact. Lord Knows I'm enjoying the second season again on DVD. I Like Big Love as Well But I could wait for that on DVD. Bill Maher is probably the only reason I would'nt cancel as his show is not on DVD and really needs to be seen when they air them.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

That is some good news I'd rather have this than nothing. I guess we have to look at the Salaries Gandolofini and others have extrorted out of the network as part of the reason.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I had hopes for all kinds of interesting things historically inspired to arise, like Teddy R striking up his lifelong friendship with Seth B.
I realize word is Mr. Milch did not feel a half-season was in DEADWOODS best interest, but this?
Here's my counter-offer to your counter-offer.....
We went from six 1 hr (previous negotiation) to two 2-hr?

We lost two possible hours.
I assume Milch does not want to be torn between two projects, I just wish they’d ice the surfing dude, till a season 4 on Deadwood wraps.

Swearengen: Bad news or tries against our interests is our sole communications from strangers, so let's by all means plant poles across the land and festoon the c*cks**kers with wires to hurry the sorry word and blinker our judgments of motive

...don't come after me for fussing. I will happily take the four over zero, but it feels like a dead mans' hand. ;)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
This is really strange. I don't know what to think anymore. Milch pulls a 180 and takes LESS episodes than were originally offered??

At least it give us an ending....

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
No to 6, Yes to 4? He's a tough negotiator, that Mr Milch!

But I hadn't realized that The Wire had been given a fourth season, according to that article. Double fantastic! :)

Now we just need to get Carnivale back...

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
From the article Patrick linked:

I admit to not having an artistic bone in my body. I can't create any kind of art. Maybe that's why I will never understand artists. So he needed to make 2 hour episodes so that he could have the freedom to deviate from his self-imposed one hour = one day formula? And therefore, 4 hours> 6 hours? I guess three two-hour episodes was out of the question? Notice how I replaced artistic license with simple math? Again, I guess that's because I am a straight line thinker and not creative. At least we'll get an ending.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I (obviously) am just guessing but the 2 two hour movies could have the same budget as the six episodes would have had. In other words, it may be the equivalent of four episodes but all four episodes will have bigger budgets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks