What's new

Deadwood 2nd Season (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Looks like Al has more to worry about when he recovers - Cy's new c***sucking boss. :) Way to introduce a new villain: have Cy be afraid of him! Cy should now make a killing from all the naïve prospectors.

William Sanderson stole this episode. He's so good as the weaselly EB; with McShane confined to grunts, he also had the best f***ing dialogue. :emoji_thumbsup:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This was another great episode.

I think Doc checking for stones was the most painful thing, I've ever seen. I liked how you could tell in those scenes that Dan loves Al like a brother. And you could tell that even Jewell cares about him too.

Now there's two powderkegs on the show. Cy and Mr. Willcot. I have a feeling that Willcot is going to do something so messed up, I'm scared to watch:)

Farnum is such a weasley little bastard. I hope Alma (who is living up to one of the names that Trixie called her last year) does buy the hotel just so she can boot him out.

The conversation between Trixie and Jane was priceless. "Um, maybe I missed some of his better points being as I'm drunk fuckin' continuously and all"

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Poor Sol, as soon as he thinks he's making headway with Trixie, she puts everything back to square one.

I loved how Joanie reasserted her power by taking charge of the new "client".

Al's definitely going to have to roll up his sleeves and get busy as soon as he recovers, not a good time to be incapacitated.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
so perhaps i'm missing something, but what is cy's issue with the chinese, particularly mr. wu? it was mentioned that he had hired leon and that other guy with the top hat to stir up resentment in the celestial community, particularly against wu. and wolcott said that cy had contacted the tong(a chinese gang?) in san francisco about bringing their people to deadwood.

is it simply because wu seems to be the leader of the community and is aligned with swearingen? or is there more to it?

and can someone explain the whore/wolcott thing? all i got was that he has a tendency to be physical with them, so it seems maddie has a particular girl for him that she intends for him to almost(?) kill, and then somehow use this to blackmail him? am i reading this right?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Robert, remember last seasons episode, "Mr Wu"

"And you could tell that even Jewell cares about him too."

And Trixies comment about Al bringing Jewel with him to Deadwood as his "sick way" of protecting her.

Concerning Alma. She married someone she didnt love for the money, then has to break it off with Seth, who she did love, so shes obviously bitter and is taking it out of everyone around her.

Poor Al.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Is anyone disappointed with this season so far? The best character on the show has been incapacitated for pretty much the past two episodes and judging by next week's preview, he's not getting much better. I read somewhere that creator David Milch did this on purpose so people would be willing to look elsewhere and not just fixate on swearengen. Mission accomplished, and i'm getting bored and missing Al terribly.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think Ep3 was the only one that really didnt spend any time on Al.

The first 2 gave Al a decent amount of screen time.It a large castwith alot of characters to deal with in a hour period.

I havent been disappointed at all. I think #3 was the least of the 3 weve seen so far.

But I thought Ep 1 & 2 were excellent.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
My DVR cut off just as Johnny told Trixie that Doc pulled out the intstrument but didn't see a stone. Was there anything after that?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think this season has been great so far. They've taken all the characters from Season One and just built on all of them. And still introduced even more characters to the mix. As the camp expands, the cast expands. I think Deadwood is the best show on television right now.

Robert, I believe that Cy wants to get more of the Chinese land for his own future development. Mr. Wu already hates Leon since Leon killed Wu's opium courier last year. Wu also hates Con Stapleton (the top hat guy) since Con, during his brief tenure as sheriff, shot a Chinese laundry guy last year on Cy's orders. I would guess that Cy wants to get the Chinese people so angry that they act against the whites in the camp. The result would be that the whites would retaliate and kill or run out all of the Chinese in camp. Then the land would be wide open for Cy to grab.

I hope they get Al back on his feet shouting 'Cocksucker' soon too.:)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I think this season has just continued with the steam from the first season.

This season does feel different for me though, and not in a bad way. The camp is bigger. The atmosphere of the show feels bigger. We get alot more wideangle shots of the camp to show that it has expanded. For me, the show had a cramped, everyone stuffed into a small section feel in the first season. Now, it feels like there is more breathing room.

I loved that Al did not get much screen time in this episode. They established new characters well with the time given and we got to see different dimensions of others. The first 2 episodes were almost all Bullock and Al. It was a nice change up.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm definitely still digging this show. i like how the characters have more depth now...trixie, alma, even jane have more "depth" to them now. although, trixie seems to be pissed off all the time. ;) like justin said, the camp feels bigger...nice way of putting it.

anyone know if that's how they really dealt with gallstones back them...yikes!

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member

Remember that the Doc was run out of wherever he was from for disrespecting bodies. He was doing autopsies in order to learn and in Deadwood he has even asked that bodies be sent to him first before Mr. Wu's pigs.

So, he most likely devised the procedure himself.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I just started watching this show, which I finding bad due to the think amount of characters to keep up with. I will have to get the DVD to straighten it all out, but it is worth it. This show is cool.

The best part of it is that it reminds me of Shakespeare! Honest to god, it sounds like they are speaking in verse half the time, especially the badass bartender guy (the one with his busted up eye and all the anus poking). He did an amazing soliloquy while getting "serviced" by one of the whores...amazing! I haven't read through all of this thread as it really seems to be specific character stuff, but help a new cowpoke out...what is up with the cool writing style! Is it always this stylized? Great jimminy cricket they also had Calamity Jane...and she was cool as all getout! I am a sucker for not getting HBO back (I had cancelled it due to funds at one time after Band of Brothers and never got it back...but should have!).

Comments on use of language (not the swear words...that speaks plainly). Also on how this feels as a Western. It has the oddest...well, non-western feel for a Western. Not sure what it feels like but I like it.

Also, does the guy doing the music also happen to be the guy who did Firefly? The incidental themes and even the main theme music sounds much like the incidental music in that show...even has some of the same flavor. Hmmm..

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Remember that the Doc was run out of wherever he was from for disrespecting bodies. He was doing autopsies in order to learn and in Deadwood he has even asked that bodies be sent to him first before Mr. Wu's pigs.

So, he most likely devised the procedure himself"

Which is why I found Janes comment about the Doc being "shit with his hands" so funny.Becuase hes obviously very skillful with them.

I never thought it of that way - that the Doc may have ended up in Deadwood because he saw it as a opportunity to learn becuase of the lawlessness there.

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I'm late. I saw the first two episodes as a morality play for Bullock's soul. Swearingen likes Seth because he sees good in him--a necessary balance to the evil of Swearingen and the darkness of the town itself. I think Swearingen craves order (and his place in that order as lord of the dark side). When Bullock took up with Alma, with his wife and son en route, Swearingen saw this natural order getting out of whack. This disturbed him, and he probably did not even know why, thus accounting for his insult. In the end, Bullock does the right thing by foregoing Alma and fulfilling his responsibility to his dead brother's wife (and albeit, to the Town). This is why Seth loses his badge and gun during his period of temptation, but then gets them both back at the end of episode two, with the acquiesence of Swearingen. All is righted. I suspect we will see much more see-sawing in Seth between the good and dark sides (much like his brutal killing of the Indian in season one). I think that battle for his soul is what Deadwood is all about. Can a man stay rightous in an unrightous land? Interestingly, I think there is a similar battle between good and evil going on in Swearingen (and for that matter in Trixie--who has an unnatural hate for Bullock, and a love/hate relationship with Swearingen). Although Swearingen has been Vader thus far, he may yet prove to be an Anakin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks